Rangers v Queens

Kiernan has been pretty good. He has settled in to a good extent. We'll see how he goes.

He's been okay at Championship level. Not sure he's capable of making the step up to the Premiership to be part of a defence who needs to win every week though. A bit like McGregor last season. He was excellent but you knew it had more to do with the level Rangers were playing at than anything else.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far this season Rangers, The Rangers, Sevco or whatever you're called have been pumped by a very mediocre St Johnstone team. On that basis I wouldn't really fancy their chances of doing well week in week out next season against better teams without substantially strengthening their squad.

Where the money to do this will actually come from, who knows!

You will run out of money very soon without external funding.

Now, that may be forthcoming, but we don't yet know that.

As things stand, Rangers are absolutely skint.

We ran out of money on Friday, administration on Monday and we sell auchenhowie on Tuesday dear reader.

Please send donations to Phil's new jacket appeal......

What are the chances that Rangers will not improve the squad significantly next season? We are not quite as skint as some of the fantasists on this forum would have you believe.

Not saying that we will be looking to win the Premiership next season, but with an astute manager and an improved squad we will not lose many games in the Premiership next year.

I think we've yet to see if this is in fact the case though. Warburton hasn't really had a test yet as such. You could argue his first real challenge was St Johnstone, and look how that went. The players he's brought in appear to be decent enough though so he maybe has an eye for a player. But he's doing a job that any half decent manager could do. He'll just look particularly good as he replaced such an incompetent laughing stock in the first place :lol: Next season will be interesting and if your attitude is that you don't think you'll lose many games next season then you could be in for a pretty frustrating season :o

I think we've yet to see if this is in fact the case though. Warburton hasn't really had a test yet as such. You could argue his first real challenge was St Johnstone, and look how that went. The players he's brought in appear to be decent enough though so he maybe has an eye for a player. But he's doing a job that any half decent manager could do. He'll just look particularly good as he replaced such an incompetent laughing stock in the first place :lol: Next season will be interesting and if your attitude is that you don't think you'll lose many games next season then you could be in for a pretty frustrating season :o

True but he did a fine job at Brentford. They were excellent to watch and would seem to have been punching above their weight when he was in charge (unless they had way more money than I thought). You are correct that stiffer tests lie ahead but evidence thus far would suggest he knows what he`s doing and as you say his recruitment has been sound. He also seems to realise that the whole structure of the club needs to improve not just the first team. I`ve been impressed thus far.

True but he did a fine job at Brentford. They were excellent to watch and would seem to have been punching above their weight when he was in charge (unless they had way more money than I thought). You are correct that stiffer tests lie ahead but evidence thus far would suggest he knows what he`s doing and as you say his recruitment has been sound. He also seems to realise that the whole structure of the club needs to improve not just the first team. I`ve been impressed thus far.

Yes he certainly did do well at Brentford. I'm in no way criticising Warburton and I actually quite like the guy. I just think he's yet to be tested in Scottish football so far. Next season will see a major step up for him and it'll be interesting to see how he deals with it.

Yes he certainly did do well at Brentford. I'm in no way criticising Warburton and I actually quite like the guy. I just think he's yet to be tested in Scottish football so far. Next season will see a major step up for him and it'll be interesting to see how he deals with it.

Indeed. Completely agree. I suspect he`s up for the test. His biggest hurdle will be how he comes through the inevitable bad spell and the criticism that will inevitably bring. I suspect it won`t come this season but it will come.

Just saw that penalty decision on Sportscene. Laughable :lol:

Laughable indeed. Halliday on way down before he gets to Marshall and he pulls his foot out the challenge in the end. They didn't score from it in the end but another soft foul given at ibrox. Shock!

Just saw that penalty decision on Sportscene. Laughable :lol:

Not as laughable as the Hibee reactions when Waghorn netted that late winner, I'm sure.

But you cant seriously be suggesting that wasn't a penalty? Marshall trips him up and had no complaints when the penalty was given.

Not as laughable as the Hibee reactions when Waghorn netted that late winner, I'm sure.

But you cant seriously be suggesting that wasn't a penalty? Marshall trips him up and had no complaints when the penalty was given.

Yep looks a pen to me.

Gutting to lose late on like that but it was a pen and fine save too.

The penalty decision is pretty inconclusive going by the highlights on the BBC website. Looks to me like he is already going down and that Marshall pulls out of the challenge. No such things as a 50/50 call at Ibrox though, and we know the rest.

Interesting that some Rangers fans have chosen this thread to discuss how easily they are going to tear it up next year in the Premiership. Fresh from scraping past a massively under-strength Queens team, who even at full strength aren't up to much.

My opinion on how they'll do? I couldn't give a flying monkeys. I just can't wait until they f**k off out of this divison.

Behave...

Dry yer eyes, while you are at it.

I was fairly sure it was a pen after seeing it on Saturday, slowed down on the TV last night Marshall does not make contact with Halliday. Watch it again.

The penalty was missed so I'm not crying about it and can see why the ref gave it in real time.

We ran out of money on Friday, administration on Monday and we sell auchenhowie on Tuesday dear reader.

Please send donations to Phil's new jacket appeal......

Don't be daft.

King himself knows that the club is losing money and that a shortfall will need to be made up. It's not yet crystal clear how that's intended to happen in the short term.

Do you wish to dispute any of that?

Just watched it.

Looked like a penalty to me. I do think Halliday is looking to go down, but Marshall does catch him and is committed to a big swing of his leg at a ball he's not reaching first, in the penalty area - not the wisest defending.

I also think there's a lack of conviction about our defending for the winner. It's a good cross, but Waghorn is the only player in there who shows the necessary willingness to make it his.

Thomson did well on Saturday - brilliant penalty save - but I'm not sure he got his angles right for the equaliser.

All in all, a gutsy display from us, but a disappointing outcome. It does show though that Rangers can be pushed hard, even by a much weakened team, so long as they're allowed to field eleven players during both halves of the game.

His style of football is certainly attractive to watch and agree it will be interesting to see how he deals with bigger and better teams. On Saturday despite dominating possession Rangers gifted a goal to QotS by again failing to defend properly a ball into the box.

In recent weeks more teams seem to be catching on how to play Rangers and the better the team the more chances they will get. St Johnstone were largely on the back foot against Rangers but had the quality to exploit the defensive frailties when they attacked.

Indeed. Completely agree. I suspect he`s up for the test. His biggest hurdle will be how he comes through the inevitable bad spell and the criticism that will inevitably bring. I suspect it won`t come this season but it will come.

Tavernier and Wallace have both been excellent this season - but interestingly it's more their attacking prowess than their defensive qualities which are hitting the headlines. Against St Johnstone 2 out of the 3 goals came from exploiting the position vacated by the marauding Wallace.

Attacking football is all very well but sometimes a Plan B is required and the ability to defend when required

Archived