Why Can't Our Clubs Compete ?!

Genuinely, what are your views ? Another small club from a small league in a small country take Celtic to the cleaners. Ground capacity 11800. Can't possibly have a bigger budget than most of our clubs. I'm a Killie fan, but if I supported a city club with bigger resources, this would drive me nuts.

A heady mixture of naivety and arrogance.

Molde knew that they were the weakest of the four teams in the group, but have put in place a plan to nullify that difference in quality to the best of their ability: sitting deeper and hitting on the counter. Celtic on the other had try (and have tried) to impose their style on others, only to be picked off.

Because Glasgow.

Because the game is still run for the benefit of 1.5 teams in Glasgow. Unable to market it effectively, negotiate advantageously, administer or run fairly without the say so of a couple of c***s who don't want to be here anyway. Yes, yes Stewart Milne and voting rights, but he doesn't speak for all of us.

We need transparency, we need openness and accountability from the government bodies so we can see how it is we have such a shite media rights deal, we can see how decisions are getting made regarding things like fit and proper persons and we the paying customer can judge whether those running the game are fit to do so. We get none of these things. But it's easy to blame the diddies for not providing enough competition, because they aint calling the shots.

There is little or no money in the Scottish game, most of what there is gets blown on agents fees and ridiculous wages for bang average players, often rejects from the English lower leagues meaning teams like Aberdeen and St Johnstone can get the odd notable win in Europe but cant put enough together to make a noticeable impression or decent run

The one exception, ourselves, have the resources to possibly make the Champions Lge or at least be competitive in the Europa Lge but a combination of poor signings and bad management have cost us meaning already we are looking at another write off of a European campaign

Combine this with the fact the standard of player being developed at youth level in Scotland is nowhere near what it was 30+ years ago (many many reasons for that) & that in my opinion kind of covers it

The academy model, hiving of good players in to pro youth set ups is an abject failure. The few decent players produced are the exception rather than the rule. These set ups are a con to generate money from gullible parents,sponsors and grant funders.

Combine this with the fact the standard of player being developed at youth level in Scotland is nowhere near what it was 30+ years ago (many many reasons for that) & that in my opinion kind of covers it

and why arent they being developed especially at the clubs that have a bit of financial muscle

for example, for 33million quid celtic are buying a domestic double, not even a treble but a double, they are shown up by teams with a 3rd of their budget on a regular basis in europe

someone posted in the scotland section a list of players that sporting lisbon have brought through in the years gone by that have went on to a pretty distinguished career, what are they doing different in terms of youth coaching that celtic are doing (im using celtic because of the sizable budget, other clubs in scotland may well not have the finances to even remotely compete with the sporting coaching set up)

whats making it worse is that celtic fans are clamouring for a better quality player, i.e more spent on wages, when instead they are spending way more than enough but it simply isnt being spent correctly, thats where we need to start imo

btw i could use any of rangers previous 2 decades as examples here, but since this thread was born out of celtics result against molde i thought it better to use them

Eh, I don't think you want to get into a who has won what competition.

How you doing in the league this year?

For a club of our size, we've done perfectly well lately. 22 successive seasons in the top flight and I've seen my team lift both trophies in my lifetime. That'll do for me.

This season? Despite being managed by Gary fucking Locke, we're still only four points off the top six and I'd say ninth-seventh is about our natural place at the minute. Thanks for your concern though.

Just aren't good enough, hard to say why.

As demonstrated by Celtic this season we have fallen behind the Scandinavian leagues now, which would have been unthinkable 10 years ago.

Our other top sides struggle to make the Europa League playoff round, never mind the actual group stage.

And it affects the national team too. No wonder Brown, Forrest Mulgrew etc struggle to make an impact in Scotland games.

All in all pretty dire stuff and it's hard to see it changing any time soon.

Our clubs? We're talking about one club that should have the resources to compete but I certainly don't feel any propriety for it.

FWIW I am happy to see any Scottish team doing well in Europe other than Celtic or TTTWR.

It doesn't seem that long ago that someone would start a thread mocking the perennial European underachievers. Simpler and happier days. :(

Archived