gay footballers

I can't be arsed reading all this thread but I don't care what my favourite footballing stars get up to off the field (well as long as it's consensual of course) BUT call me old fashioned I just can't get my head round THEM wearing pink boots. I blame that wee squeaky ginger c**t Alan Ball.

Grimbo

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wouldn't "raise my eyebrows", but I would be incredibly proud of any player to come out. I would probably applaud his name extra loud when the team sheets were being read out.

At the end of the day, it's completely the choice of the individual to decide who they want to tell about their private life. I certainly wouldn't judge any gay person who didnt want to tell people. As far as being a role model for young homosexuals though, it is important to come out.

Some kids really suffer with it, a friend of mine just recently told me how he was on anti depressants as a teenager in high school, because he couldnt accept he was gay. He thought his parents and friends wouldnt accept him if he came out. For young people like that, seeing openly gay people leading normal lives, having supportive friends and family can really help them.

Why would you applaud a player "extra loud" for coming out as gay?

I thought the idea was not to make an issue out of it.

All joking aside I think the first player or high profile one to come out in the UK will undoubtedly take a bit of stick and be the subject of a naughty song or two but with Homophobia never really having to be tackled in the way racism down in England and sectarianism is up here, I think that the first time a clubs fans behave in the way I've suggested what may happen is the authorities will lay a marker down and hammer them with an enormous fine, possibly stadium closure, points deduction even.

The first guy to reveal his homosexuality in an instance such as this may get a bit of stick to start with but it will quickly be weeded out and it may pave the way for others to be confident in doing so

As the year is 2558 here in Thailand and nobody gives a f**k about your sexuality, I'd wish the western world would get out of their 21st century homophobic beliefs. Cavemen the fucking lot of you :thumbsdown

All joking aside I think the first player or high profile one to come out in the UK will undoubtedly take a bit of stick and be the subject of a naughty song or two but with Homophobia never really having to be tackled in the way racism down in England and sectarianism is up here, I think that the first time a clubs fans behave in the way I've suggested what may happen is the authorities will lay a marker down and hammer them with an enormous fine, possibly stadium closure, points deduction even.

The first guy to reveal his homosexuality in an instance such as this may get a bit of stick to start with but it will quickly be weeded out and it may pave the way for others to be confident in doing so

What a load of shite.

Also, Sectarianism isnt 'tackled' up here because we have thick arseholes like you calling their usernames after the IRA Brighton bomber.

'Naughty songs' . Fucking hell.

Personally think the player would get a standing ovation or something along those lines for having the bravery to come out at their first game after announcing it.

Not anybody's business though.

Patrick Bamford got homophobic abuse from Ryan Tunnicliffe (?) on Twitter last season I'm sure?

What a load of shite.

Also, Sectarianism isnt 'tackled' up here because we have thick arseholes like you calling their usernames after the IRA Brighton bomber.

Its the same guy?

He had such a promising career in the breakfast cereal industry.

What a load of shite.

Great post mate, surprised at how coherrent it was seeing as it was clearly typed with steam coming out your ears :lol:

Great post mate, surprised at how coherrent it was seeing as it was clearly typed with steam coming out your ears :lol:

Dynamite comeback, Dave. I'm clearly raging at your profound knowledge on how to deal with people singing naughty songs.

Why should it make a difference if he is playing well or not? We are meant to be one of the most progressive countries in the world yet we still have people treated terribly due to their sexuality. It's pathetic.

Who gives a f**k what sexuality someone is.

Of course he has to be playing well as a footballer.

If he plays for the team I support, and is playing well...great

If he plays for the team I support, is gay and is playing well...great

If he plays for the team I support ,is gay and is not playing well...he gets reviewed on his footballing abilities only

Of course he has to be playing well as a footballer.

If he plays for the team I support, and is playing well...great

If he plays for the team I support, is gay and is playing well...great

If he plays for the team I support ,is gay and is not playing well...he gets reviewed on his footballing abilities only

Have you ever played the once popular parlour game called Sardines?

Think the problem would be thick team mates and "old school" managers. Imagine coming out if you played for a John Brown or had Neil Ruddock or the like on yer team?

This is the real reason IMO. I doubt most fans really give a shit it's probably because there will be numerous players who will feel uncomfortable about sharing a changing room and facilities with someone who is gay.

Archived