Lowland league v junior league

Hertha/BJFC1938

Drawing any kind of comparison between leagues from what is the worst game of football i've seen in a very long time, is to be frank, a joke. Colts won so should rightfully be happy, Saw one gent dancing on the spot saying it was the greatest day in the clubs history. Meant a lot to a number of folk and good luck in the next round :)

Is this the same mob St Roch's beat in a friendly two weeks ago?

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the same mob St Roch's beat in a friendly two weeks ago?

And your point is?

Surely the word "friendly" should tell you this results is of no relevance

Port Glasgow beat Yoker 2-1 in a friendly last Monday does that mean we are good enough to play in the super 1st league ??!

Penicuik published attendances in their program last year. By the junior cup tie against arthurlie in march their league average was 202 and including cups was 220. That would put their crowds slightly higher then whitehill and I would imagine bonnyrigg would be slightly higher

Penicuik published attendances in their program last year. By the junior cup tie against arthurlie in march their league average was 202 and including cups was 220. That would put their crowds slightly higher then whitehill and I would imagine bonnyrigg would be slightly higher

Penicuik & Bonnyrigg = large toons and have always had big followings.

This thread started out as a (newly formed) LL side put out one of the biggest names in Junior football. We're now comparing crowds.

ww have never had a good following don't think anyone from Rosewell will ever deny that.

The LL came as a new challenge for the teams involved and it's getting more difficult competing on the park as the league gets stronger by the day.

As has been said before it has its plus points to which the juniors will carry on looking in from the outside unless something drastically changes.

I was originally not sure of the LL but it has won me over and HAS and WILL get stronger.

The LL is here to stay whether we like it or lump it.

Whitehill are my other team mate! Been to 10-15 games in the past 2 years so not knocking the lowland league and would love to see the juniors join up somehow for more local games.

Penicuik are currently top of the east super league so thought it's reasonable to compare them size wise to WW

Penicuik & Bonnyrigg = large toons and have always had big followings.

This thread started out as a (newly formed) LL side put out one of the biggest names in Junior football. We're now comparing crowds.

ww have never had a good following don't think anyone from Rosewell will ever deny that.

The LL came as a new challenge for the teams involved and it's getting more difficult competing on the park as the league gets stronger by the day.

As has been said before it has its plus points to which the juniors will carry on looking in from the outside unless something drastically changes.

I was originally not sure of the LL but it has won me over and HAS and WILL get stronger.

The LL is here to stay whether we like it or lump it.

Things have changed a lot in the past 20 years. The great WW teams of the 90s regularly got up to 1500 for ties against Alloa, Montrose, QoS etc. Against Fraserburgh in 1996 it was about 2000. This year we got 230 against Wick and last year 350 against Shire. The year before that we got about 550 against Stirling.

Things have changed a lot in the past 20 years. The great WW teams of the 90s regularly got up to 1500 for ties against Alloa, Montrose, QoS etc. Against Fraserburgh in 1996 it was about 2000. This year we got 230 against Wick and last year 350 against Shire. The year before that we got about 550 against Stirling.

The QOS and Broch ones were both officially sub 1000 (937 and 932 respectively). Really good none the less.

Pollok and Clydebank get excellent crowds, comparable to middle/lower SPFL2 in Pollok's case and above East Stirlingshire in Clydebank's, although sadly both seem to have stopped putting figures on their websites.

Pollok's attendances are usually greater than any in SPFL2 and some SPFL1.

Saturday's crowd vs Yoker was greater than any of those in the "big" Scottish Cup and more than 3 of the 5 SPFL1 games.

But then Junior admission prices are lower and a significant proportion only pay concession rates!

Saturday's attendance vs Yoker was greater than any of those in the "big" Scottish Cup and more than 3 of the 5 SPFL1 games.

But then Junior admission prices are lower and a significant proportion only pay concession rates!

Sad thing is Archie, crowds were so much better in the not that distant past.

This was the archive of crowd stats that I had when the website catered for people interested in things beyond the latest score:

1998-99 - low 270 (St. Anthony's, Sectional League Cup), high 2173 (Arthurlie, Scottish Junior Cup), average 691 (league 663) League Position: 8th

1999-00 - low 199 (Neilston, Sectional League Cup), high 897 (Neilston, League), average 619 (league 643) League Position: 2nd

2000-01 - low 252 (Petershill, League), high 974 (Rob Roy, Scottish Junior Cup), average 510 (league 526) League Position: 6th

2001-02 - low 368 (Renfrew, League), high 1001 (Tayport, Scottish Junior Cup), average 632 (league 624) League Position: 3rd

2002-03 - low 270 (St. Anthony's, Sectional League Cup), high 1132 (Arthurlie, Central League Cup), average 642 (league 717) League Position: 1st

2003-04 - low 240 (Maryhill, League), high 970 (Kilwinning Rangers, League), average 570 (league 581) League Position: 3rd

2004-05 - low 342 (Renfrew, Sectional League Cup), high 1477 (Renfrew, Scottish Junior Cup), average 663 (league 691) League Position: 1st

2005-06 - low 300 (Benburb, Sectional League Cup), high 1485 (Arthurlie, Scottish Junior Cup), average 615 (league 585) League Position: 3rd

2006-07 - low 286 (Lanark United, Central League Cup), high 1684 (Irvine Meadow, Scottish Junior Cup), average 555 (league 557) League Position: 1st

2007-08 - low 317 (Benburb, Sectional League Cup), high 1873 (Montrose, Scottish Cup), average 616 (league 565) League Position 1st

2008-09 - low 277 (St. Anthony's, Sectional League Cup), high 1480 (Clydebank, Scottish Junior Cup), average 650 (league 598) League Position: 2nd

2009-10 - low 232 (Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, League), high 813 (Arthurlie, League), average 483 (league 507) League Position: 5th

Saturday's crowd vs Yoker was greater than any of those in the "big" Scottish Cup and more than 3 of the 5 SPFL1 games.

Only 4 clubs who average less than 500 in the SPFL, paying a minimum of £12 a game for an adult as well. Obviously Morton and Dunfermline would've boosted most clubs in the league above with their away support, they must've had about 400/500 at us for a challenge cup game, but figures still pretty telling.

post-14721-14459889120954_thumb.jpg

Decent crowd at Pollok though, best in juniors?

Hmmmm.......39 was definitely mentioned on a thread last season in the LL forum.

Quoting their official programme.

They aren't. Last season their average exceeded 3 SPFL2 clubs, and Clydebank's exceeded 1, IIRC.

I haven't read anything from anybody that states football is better now than it was then. If anybody believes that then they are clueless about football.

I have, from you.

It was you that disagreed that football was thriving in the 80`s compared to now.

Sad thing is Archie, crowds were so much better in the not that distant past.

This was the archive of crowd stats that I had when the website catered for people interested in things beyond the latest score:

1998-99 - low 270 (St. Anthony's, Sectional League Cup), high 2173 (Arthurlie, Scottish Junior Cup), average 691 (league 663) League Position: 8th

1999-00 - low 199 (Neilston, Sectional League Cup), high 897 (Neilston, League), average 619 (league 643) League Position: 2nd

2000-01 - low 252 (Petershill, League), high 974 (Rob Roy, Scottish Junior Cup), average 510 (league 526) League Position: 6th

2001-02 - low 368 (Renfrew, League), high 1001 (Tayport, Scottish Junior Cup), average 632 (league 624) League Position: 3rd

2002-03 - low 270 (St. Anthony's, Sectional League Cup), high 1132 (Arthurlie, Central League Cup), average 642 (league 717) League Position: 1st

2003-04 - low 240 (Maryhill, League), high 970 (Kilwinning Rangers, League), average 570 (league 581) League Position: 3rd

2004-05 - low 342 (Renfrew, Sectional League Cup), high 1477 (Renfrew, Scottish Junior Cup), average 663 (league 691) League Position: 1st

2005-06 - low 300 (Benburb, Sectional League Cup), high 1485 (Arthurlie, Scottish Junior Cup), average 615 (league 585) League Position: 3rd

2006-07 - low 286 (Lanark United, Central League Cup), high 1684 (Irvine Meadow, Scottish Junior Cup), average 555 (league 557) League Position: 1st

2007-08 - low 317 (Benburb, Sectional League Cup), high 1873 (Montrose, Scottish Cup), average 616 (league 565) League Position 1st

2008-09 - low 277 (St. Anthony's, Sectional League Cup), high 1480 (Clydebank, Scottish Junior Cup), average 650 (league 598) League Position: 2nd

2009-10 - low 232 (Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, League), high 813 (Arthurlie, League), average 483 (league 507) League Position: 5th

tbf if your average this season is just under 600 then you are not a million miles away from your historical averages over the last 15 or so years which is not bad.

Pollok's crowds show the importance, still, of (a) the Scottish Junior Cup, and (b) local derbies against Arthurlie.

Have always enjoyed Talbot's visits to Newlandsfield as to me it's a ground that has real character. How did Pollok fare in the seasons that they flirted with releagtion, and 2013-14 when they were relegated?

It's a real anomaly, the attendances at Junior Cup ties with those at the senior Scottish or even the F A Cup down south. The Junior Cup still has the old magic for clubs, despite Talbot's recent dominance, whilst in the professional game they continue to dwindle. I think therein lies one of the major reasons the big Junior clubs haven't decided to make the break and apply for the LL?

They aren't. Last season their average exceeded 3 SPFL2 clubs, and Clydebank's exceeded 1, IIRC.

Dunno how you think you know that.

Last year's attendances were only published sporadically on the old club website.

Even if you were correct, last season Pollok were in West Division 1 (2nd level) so that's still damned impressive.

This season, back up in the West Premier, our crowds are obviously higher!

Last season the fans kept turning out despite the relegation and week in week out Lok I am sure would still have one of the highest if not the highest average gates in the junior game.Interestingly our poor performances over the last number of years in the junior cup and limited games v Arthurlie have meant those fixtures have had little impact on the average.

Junior fitba has been and will continue to be in decline for years to come , due to the decline in senior football , most decent young players are going senior now or are opting for lowland league

Lowland league is where it's at and it will only take one major junior team like Auchinleck Talbot to recognise this and the rest will be sprinting after them believe me.

Archived