Ayr United v Stranrank/Stinlar

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent performance today.

In the first half I thought we were fairly lucky to go in ahead but in the second I thought we were the much better team.

Adams and Preston had excellent games. Although I thought Jamie was a red card waiting to happen. Should've had two penalties for handball from what I could see.

Didn't think Stranraer were as bad as the league table suggests though.

The ref started the afternoon badly by through either arrogance or stupidity managed to make an arse of the minutes silence and didn't get much better after that.

Thought Stranraer were a good side, kept possession well and played some neat stuff but the big lad up front is never a footballer in a million years, Pettigrew had a similar performance to the ones he used to have for us, the highlight being left chasing shadows in the buildup to Ayrs second. if the new boy they have signed can score goals then Stranraer could have a decent season.

I don't think you could fault any of the Ayr players today, Crawford and Preston in particular stood out for me.

3 points and move on. I've seen us lose (many) games where we were expected to stroll it like today so I'll take that thank you very much.

Stranraer played well in patches but look short of anything that would win games outright and on a regular basis.

The Pars not winning in their equivalent derby was a bonus.

Great goal by Robbie , a player now threatening to realise his potential.

Onwards and keep the heid lads.

Preston played his heart out today and deserved his goal but the team first half was poor, very lucky to be 2 1 up. Stranraer though they lacked a cutting edge up front were competitive and will be fine if they keep playing like that. Second half was much better and Donald made a big difference when he came on. Badly need a fully fit Moore if we want to maintain our top of the league position.

Dreadful display from Stranraer . The fact that Ayr only scored three shows that they are not that great a team. We lacked shape, leadership and ideas. We were particularly dreadful in the first 10-15 minutes, at times almost playing 9-0-1. I'd give pass marks to McCluskey, Mair and Turner. Some flashes from Cairney, Stirling, Thomson and Aitken. Pettigrew had a nightmare of a game. McGuigan was poor, but playing him as a lone striker and sending long balls to him just didn't work. Hard to tell with McCloskey, as he had about five minutes on the park.

Referee was very poor. We should have had a couple of penalties and Ayr possibly one. If we had been given either, the timing might have had an influence on the result. Ayr's Adams got away with multiple fouls and should have had more than a yellow. Thomson was lucky to get only a yellow near the end. Ayr's mobbing the referee for a red maybe saved him.

Three new signings suggests the manager knows he needs to make changes. Perhaps the last roll of the dice for him?

Archived