Wings fined by electoral commission

Mr Rational

I see some folk are tweeting about the Wings Twitter account being banned (or suspended). Seems to be the result of calling a Scottish Daily Express journalist a "disgrace" but maybe there is more to it than that.

EDIT: Here is his take on it anyway:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/what-you-cant-say/

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see some folk are tweeting about the Wings Twitter account being banned (or suspended). Seems to be the result of calling a Scottish Daily Express journalist a "disgrace" but maybe there is more to it than that.

JK Rowling probably decided to finally report him to Twitter.

What are the slavering puddle drinkers going to do now? Without Wings to tell them to breathe in and out there could be dire consequences.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Not my line but the person who said "wings getting suspended for calling someone a disgrace is like al Capone getting done for tax evasion " seems pretty apt.

I never stuck up for him but it is ludicrous if that's all it takes to get banned on there.

The mods on here would be replying to themselves and Div if they used that level of moderation.

Classic bait and switch from the yoon press. Write something horrendous and factually inaccurate, get criticised on twitter and yelp VILE CYBERNATS STURGEON MUST CONDEMN. In this case the hack has taken it a step further by inventing death threats and complaining directly to twitter about all the hate. Pitiful shite.

Wings misses the point with him being blocked. If you say anything that he takes offence to - the article in question was clickbait pish - he immediately has hundreds of his hordes harass you on Twitter. The woman had like 500 replies after Wings picks it up. I bet he's had more than a fair few complaints for this sort of stuff and twitter said enough is enough.

The main issue with Wings is he claims to be this seer of objectivity and people don't seem to realise he's just like any clickbait hack but he's vehemently pro-indy rather than against.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

I would imagine that whatever Wings says he was banned for, there is far more to it than that.  That guy's batshit mental.  I'm amazed he hasn't his account suspended long before now for any number of reasons.  I guess it's a multiple yellow card offence.  No loss to anyone, except the handful of politics forum denizens who rely on him for their opinions.

Wings misses the point with him being blocked. If you say anything that he takes offence to - the article in question was clickbait pish - he immediately has hundreds of his hordes harass you on Twitter. The woman had like 500 replies after Wings picks it up. I bet he's had more than a fair few complaints for this sort of stuff and twitter said enough is enough

If that was the case JK Rowling would be banned too.

Similar case in a way to what Milo Yianoppolous was banned for. Being a nob then followers in their hundreds being bigger nobs.

Neither should really be banned imho for this but Twitter is a private company and has full rights to decide what level of open discussion it allows.

1 hour ago, Carrots and Peas said:

Wings misses the point with him being blocked. If you say anything that he takes offence to - the article in question was clickbait pish - he immediately has hundreds of his hordes harass you on Twitter. The woman had like 500 replies after Wings picks it up. I bet he's had more than a fair few complaints for this sort of stuff and twitter said enough is enough.

The main issue with Wings is he claims to be this seer of objectivity and people don't seem to realise he's just like any clickbait hack but he's vehemently pro-indy rather than against.

Not disagreeing with your first paragraph, but to be fair to him he pretty much admits that he's rabidly pro-independence and that that's the priority of his site.

I haven't seen anything in the posts that would warrant a ban/suspension. He and others, myself included were pointing out the utter lies written by the Express Journo.

Compare that to some of the language used by Spanner for instance, I cannot understand this.

1 hour ago, mrcat1990 said:

Similar case in a way to what Milo Yianoppolous was banned for. Being a nob then followers in their hundreds being bigger nobs.

Neither should really be banned imho for this but Twitter is a private company and has full rights to decide what level of open discussion it allows.

I'm not sure it is the same in terms of the content. The Wings guy, a very unpleasant individual, doesn't seem to have encouraged his followers to go after the DE journo and despite her claims about receiving death threats there have been none that I have seen on Twitter. Indeed her little cry for help by tagging in the likes of JK Rowling are probably more akin to Milo trying to get other people to wade into the argument.

Basically Milo seemed to very obviously getting people to give that Ghostbusters lassie abuse (I forget her name) but I haven't seen anything from Wings that encourages his followers to abuse the DE journo. Not yet anyway...

8 minutes ago, RiG said:

I'm not sure it is the same in terms of the content. The Wings guy, a very unpleasant individual, doesn't seem to have encouraged his followers to go after the DE journo and despite her claims about receiving death threats there have been none that I have seen on Twitter. Indeed her little cry for help by tagging in the likes of JK Rowling are probably more akin to Milo trying to get other people to wade into the argument.

Basically Milo seemed to very obviously getting people to give that Ghostbusters lassie abuse (I forget her name) but I haven't seen anything from Wings that encourages his followers to abuse the DE journo. Not yet anyway...

I think all of that is pretty much spot on. The actual exchange regarding threats is hilarious, she should get charged with wasting police time / making false accusations. It's laughable.

Disgraceful decision to ban him on the face of it. It does indicate one of the issues with Twitter though. I think someone described it as being 'swarmed by service droids ' when the Wings account releases the hounds.

What has seemed to have been lost in the outrage however is that Campbell has previously sought to have Twitter ban other accounts for spurious reasons. The biter bitten. He has no interest in freedom of speech. 

Archived