The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

2 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Fields Marshall Earl Haig set up the Earl Haig Fund to remember the decisions that led to all out industrial slaughter?

Futility?No projection of modern values here then.

Never seen one. 

Bollox. You are laying it on a bit thick, but playing the home crowds favourite tunes. 

I'm well aware of who set up the poppy fund, Haig of course was a national hero who's reputation took a hammering in the years succeeding his death (even if there was little else he could've done than what he did during the war).  However, i'd argue that from the famous pacifist oxford debates to appeasement itself there reflected an appetite to avoid another blood letting and that the notion of the futility of the first war was far from a projection of modern values but rather was a contemporary attitude in many sections of society right up to the 2nd war.

As for the rest, yeah I seen one on facebook this morning, as for reverence, I believe that's certainly reflected in modern attitudes to soldiers - probably stemming from the Falklands: begun as a pride in "the empire striking back" at a time when the UK was the sick man of Europe. Morphing through the noughties and pushed relentlessly through the right wing press and lately by blatant facebook clicktivism.

Quick q and I don't know the answer....

So, no googling folks.

Q/

When was the last time the UK was 'at War'?

Falklands wasn't one from memory, neither was Vietnam, don't think Suez was, so maybe Korea?

Awaits one of our learned heroes to reply..

The Independent reporting that England will ignore FIFA's ruling. A quick skim through the comments suggest that many people think FIFA is run by Muslims.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/fifa-poppy-ban-england-scotland-fa-players-will-wear-remembrance-day-a7393591.html

Lest we forget...what exactly?

Edited by Shotgun
Added the link

9 minutes ago, Daydream said:

Gulf war 1?

Doubt it that a Declaration of War event happened there tbh.

Annnnd Scotland & En@land to defy Fifa.

I hope Infantina throws them both out (we're not qualifying anyways).

Theresa May said "Our football players want to recognise and respect those who have given their lives for our safety and security. It is absolutely right they should be able to do so."

Really Theresa?Have they taken a vote? Or are they just being told to wear them like a Nike or Adidas symbol and haven't given it any thought whatsoever? And, while we're deploring killing, if they declined to wear one would they be subject to death threats, like James McLean?

11 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Hopefully Fifa go to town on the pair of them. Keep shite like this out of football. 

I came to Uni in London in 1981 and Armistice Day has always been special and never political.

Edit..I played Rugby with Kiwis and Australians...they had the same attitude,

Edited by The_Kincardine

16 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I came to Uni in London in 1981 and Armistice Day has always been special and never political.

Edit..I played Rugby with Kiwis and Australians...they had the same attitude,

So all of the colonists were big fans of the poppy then?

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

I do not know anyone who is a 'big fan of the poppy'.

We sane blokes are ok with simply reflecting on what has been and hope it won't be repeated.

I do that too, without lionising the armed forces or demanding every person or organisation caves in to my nationalistic demands (even if they have contrary personal beliefs or pretty clear rules on the subject). I don't even have to set aside a specific time of the day for it, although I will observe it if other people clamour for it.

Just now, The OP said:

I do that too, without lionising the armed forces or demanding every person or organisation caves in to my nationalistic demands (even if they have contrary personal beliefs or pretty clear rules on the subject). I don't even have to set aside a specific time of the day for it, although I will observe it if other people clamour for it.

There is no clamour, lionising, aggrandising or caving.

Remembering on Armistice Day is something which is politically-free.

There is no clamour, lionising, aggrandising or caving.

Remembering on Armistice Day is something which is politically-free.

The moment they decided to tie in the soldiers who chose to go on a suicidal trip to Afghanistan as part of the remembrance it became political. It's now a reminder of shite decision making and self-interest of past governments.