The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

On 17/10/2021 at 09:46, The Skelpit Lug said:

Eric Bogle's Green Fields of France and The Band Played Waltzing Matilda have to be two of the finest anti-war songs ever written. I can get tears just thinking about them. Brilliant songs.

The Men They Couldn't Hang do a great version of the Green Fields. One of the best anti war songs ever written

53 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Pedantry in the extreme, I know, but other than the pop-ups you now see with all sorts of "poppy merch", poppies were always given in exchange for a donation rather than being sold.

So M&S have never "sold" poppies.

I vaguely recall that there used to be a few old boys who would visit our primary school to “sell” poppies around this time of the year. If they had the ones with the green plastic stem they’d get avoided by most of us. If they had the metal pin, they’d get everyone’s tuck shop money and we’d spend the rest of the day screaming in agony as everyone ran about jagging each other with the pin.

40 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

WTF kind of name is "showbiz" 😂

Good to see Sam sink his savings into something that would appreciate after his earnings dried up with the advent of the internet. 

"trying to remember the name of a 1930s film where the girl wakes up in a colourful fantasy land after a storm. There is a witch and a lion - can't for the life of me remember the name of it and my wife and work mates think I am making the whole thing up. Please help me Sam"