The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

11 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Everybody knows they existed, but they aren't the Queen's sisters.

Ah, fair enough. Misread the original post.

27 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It's not unusual for cousins to bear a bit of a physical resemblance to each other.

Exactly. If you need to find a ringer for your now-unacceptable Royal heir, you'll be more likely to find them among your relatives - and it'll be easier to persuade fairly close relatives to keep quiet about this sort of thing. You're not thinking like a Buckingham Palace troubleshooter.

Edited by Aim Here

3 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Exactly. If you need to find a ringer for your now-unacceptable Royal heir, you'll be more likely to find them among your relatives - and it'll be easier to persuade relatively close relatives to keep quiet about this sort of thing. You're not thinking like a Buckingham Palace troubleshooter.

I agreed with the Sarge's post where he said he could buy that theory.

4 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Exactly. If you need to find a ringer for your now-unacceptable Royal heir, you'll be more likely to find them among your relatives

Except there would have been no anticipation of Lizzie being an heir until much later.

Edward, the nazi sympathiser, was first in line and George, Lizzie’s father, was only the spare. It wasn’t until Edward abdicated in 1938 that Lizzie would become a realistic heir to the throne.

20 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Except there would have been no anticipation of Lizzie being an heir until much later.

Edward, the nazi sympathiser, was first in line and George, Lizzie’s father, was only the spare. It wasn’t until Edward abdicated in 1938 that Lizzie would become a realistic heir to the throne.

True that, sorry to be pedantic though. Edward VIII abdicated on Dec 10th 1936. George VI became King on the 11th of Dec, his formal coronation took place on the 12th of May 1937. Hth🙂

Edited by Clockwork

3 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

True that, sorry to be pedantic though. Edward VIII abdicated on Dec 10th 1936. George VI became King on the 11th of Dec, his formal coronation took place in May 1937. Hth🙂

Correct. I must have got the regnal number and year mixed up in my head when typing.

I'm very much partial to the conspiracy theory that the current queen is actually Katherine Bowes Lyon. When discovering that Lizzy Windsor was mentally disabled, they did a quick switcharoo for the good of the realm (the two were born only a couple of months apart) and carried on as if nothing had happened.
I mean, I have zero evidence for this, but it's 100% true, of course.
This is much more credible than the theory that Prince Andrew, The Duke of York, isn't a nonce.

50 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

So that would make them both ten years old; this was 1936, when the cutting edge form of news media was the Pathé newsreel and where wall-to-wall 24-hour news saturation coverage or even the likes of Hello Magazine were decades in the future. What with her not having that many public engagements to date (between the age and the fact she was hitherto just a second-string royal), It's plausible that there weren't that many people in the country who would be able to recognize which of two ten-year old girls they'd never seen in the flesh and only barely seen in print or on the screen was the real Liz Windsor and which was the ringer.

It all makes sense, if you're just willing to believe.

2 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

As has been pointed out it was in 1936, but maybe these Buckingham Palace troubleshooters were planning ahead, @Aim Here

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The royal family are c***s to a man woman and child.

Can we get back to giant poppies now?

Dunfermline town center is getting poppied out it’s nut. Every few meters on railings and the true mark of dignified quiet remembrance being a giant rotating projection onto the old fire station.   Mental stuff,  no idea who sanctions this but presume council are involved somewhere.  

I know we are so far past this, but I thought the whole point of poppies were a personal thing.  No idea inanimate objects were so good at remembering.

And there is absolutely no fucking point in this stuff happening in October and not being removed til well after remembrance Sunday.  ITS MEANT TO BE ONE DAY YOU FUCKS.

Edited by parsforlife

I may be well wrong on this, but growing up I was always of the understanding that you wore a poppy for a couple of weeks up to the event, but that continuing to do so much after the 11th/Remembrance Sunday was considered disrespectful. It seems now that if you don't display them all year round you are some sort of traitor?

12 hours ago, gannonball said:

‘Never again’

image.png.65aed28521230f03c8b3aaaca0cf0c25.png

Have the poppy appeal ever said this? I've long assumed that they weren't an anti-war "never again" organisation, rather one that treats war as a sad necessity and all soldiers are heroes.

5 hours ago, velo army said:

Have the poppy appeal ever said this? I've long assumed that they weren't an anti-war "never again" organisation, rather one that treats war as a sad necessity and all soldiers are heroes.

WWI was considered to be the 'War to End Wars.' People were saddened and angered about the millions who'd been sent to the slaughter, to a large extent, for no good reason. The sentiment at the time was that we must never forget those who had given their lives and why, in order that we don't allow it to happen again.

So that worked out well.

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

WWI was considered to be the 'War to End Wars.' People were saddened and angered about the millions who'd been sent to the slaughter, to a large extent, for no good reason. The sentiment at the time was that we must never forget those who had given their lives and why, in order that we don't allow it to happen again.

So that worked out well.

Aye I get that, but the Peace Poppy campaign came about in the early 30's because the Haig Fund refused to join in an anti war message. 

Also, I thought the "war to end all wars" was just a recruitment tool.