Why no boycott talk?

Back in the glorious summer of 2012, boycott talk was all the rage.

New Rangers were hoping to be placed in either the SPL (as it was called then) or the 1st division, but Scottish football fans were having none of it.

"New teams had to start from the bottom' was the cry.

Chairmen ready to vote on whether they would let the newco into their league were left in no doubt of the consequences if they voted favourably towards the Govan shysters.

It was a time of unity between all of Scottish football's right minded fans.

Which brings me to current events.

In my near 30 years watching football I've seen plenty punishments handed down that seemed harsh but rules are rules and FAs don't like cheating.

I've seen teams kicked out of cups because players weren't registered properly.

I seen a European Team kicked out of the Europa League (?) Last season for playing a sub who shouldn't play for a few seconds in a game they'd already won.

Also St Mirren and Falkirk fans will remember in the mid 90s having to replay a match at Brockville because of Mr John Clark and an unheard of at the time rule about returning inside a year to a club.

So why are Rangers seemingly getting off lightly here?

I personally don't want the 2009 Scottish cup now but I do want to see cheats punished accordingly.

I've no doubt if this was 1 of the seaside teams that they'd have been stripped of those titles by now.

I feel the SFA want to lift that famous carpet of theirs and sweep away again.

Will fans threaten a boycott if the SFA do a cover up job?

What's everyone's thoughts here?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still of the opinion that New Rangers should not be claiming Old Rangers history full stop. They were liquidated.

We should accept the old titles were won at the expense of their right for the New Rangers to claim them now.

There's probably no boycott talk because the powers that be haven't followed Rangers International instructions yet.

Of course any titles and trophies won by cheating must be stripped. It's what happens. They wont be though because this is Scottish football.

Come on now. Let's move on. Let zygons be zygons. After all, it'll be back to four games a season for the telly people next year. Just watch the financial benefits flow across all of Scottish football. Isn't that what we're all after?

(Exclusive to all newspapers.)

Yip, a "boycott" if Rangers aren't stripped of their titles is one that would get everyone's support, I'm sure. Boycott what?

[FFS - Does anyone except Celtic fans really care? Scottish football's got enough problems that need your attention.

No.

Archived