The Outcome

What do you think will happen?  

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way to re-hear the Lord Nimmo Smith verdict would be for corruption to be found or an injured party (e.g. Celtic) taking the issue to the Court of Arbitration for Sport claiming that the SFA have failed to follow their own rules.

I agree that this is one route, but not the only one. The SFA could revist this if it wanted. There are no rules that prevent this.

The side letters are central to this. They are the evidence that the details of payments included in the registration process, differed from the reality of what Rangers were actually paying their players.

LNS did say that the deliberate deceit didn't render the players ineligible. I'm not sure that he said the registration was "proper", but you can maybe prove me wrong on that.

Either way, I think the ruling was unjust, so I'm keen for it to be re-visited. Any premise will do really.

Well he never used the word proper if you're being pedantic but ".We are satisfied that the registration of the Specified Players with the SPL was valid from the outset, and accordingly that they were eligible to play in official matches." (p27)

"This is an important finding, as it means that there was no instance shown of Rangers FC fielding an ineligible player. "

And any premise will do? Aye that sums this all up.

Well he never used the word proper if you're being pedantic but ".We are satisfied that the registration of the Specified Players with the SPL was valid from the outset, and accordingly that they were eligible to play in official matches." (p27)

"This is an important finding, as it means that there was no instance shown of Rangers FC fielding an ineligible player. "

And any premise will do? Aye that sums this all up.

Yes, Bennett. We're not actually disagreeing here. We both know what LNS said.

The difference is that I think his ruling was hopelessly unjust.

I'm concerned with justice. You're pleased with an injustice.

What has changed? Rangers owed the tax authorities an 8 figure sum in the original ruling on (small tax case, multiple admission of improper EBTs in the big case). The number has increased but it still doesn't break any rules that governed football.

Apart from the improperly registered contract rule that OldDeadRangers thought didn't apply to them....

The only way to re-hear the Lord Nimmo Smith verdict would be for corruption to be found or an injured party (e.g. Celtic) taking the issue to the Court of Arbitration for Sport claiming that the SFA have failed to follow their own rules.

Think about it. The SPL who ordered the LNS inquiry no longer exist. The SPFL now run the show and can do whatever they want.

More than either you or I ever profess to.

Doesn't make him infallible of course. I thought you realised that judges aren't infallible.

Lots of people saying the hearing should be held again but the only reason they have is that they didn't like the result.

So much for abiding by the verdict.

Lots of people saying the hearing should be held again but the only reason they have is that they didn't like the result.

Well yes of course it's those who are unhappy with it who want to re-visit it. That's pretty bloody obvious.

Similarly, people like you who are pleased with how LNS saw things, wish it to be left alone.

Let's not pretend that either of us are being governed by an innate respect for the judgement, whatever it is.

You keep referring to some vow to "abide by the verdict". Who made this vow? I'm fairly sure that I didn't.

The only ones who had to abide by the verdict were Rangers. They still have not.

Yes they have.

I asked about this last week because it confused me.

The answer I got indicated that Rangers had agreed to pay any fine initially, but then chose not to, alleging that the authorities had not kept their part of the bargain.

Have I got that wrong?

Archived