Alex Salmond.

kevthedee

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No - I don't know the accuser's names and nor do I want to. Two wrongs don't make a right.

The principle of anonymity when it comes to sex offences is absolutely paramount no matter who you are.

Jackie Baillie has shown she is prepared to throw that principle under the bus for political gain.

I would challenge this.  When "victims" of no crime continue to talk to the media and retain their anonymity then I think there is a solid case for such anonymity to be removed.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

I would challenge this.  When "victims" of no crime continue to talk to the media and retain their anonymity then I think there is a solid case for such anonymity to be removed.

If they're not talking about the case I see no reason why they should have to pack in their job, whoever it is you're talking about. 

The idea that they shouldn't have anonymity just because he was found not guilty is ridiculous. Unless you sign up to the real crackpot shit that it was all made up and none of it ever happened then we know that something unpleasant happened to each of those women, and just because criminality couldn't be proven beyond reasonable doubt (or whatever the standard is) that doesn't mean they suddenly become fair game.
It'd be a really shameful outcome of this case if it became apparent that the continuation of Salmond's vandetta against Sturgeon was considered worth ruining those women's lives over. Never mind the precedent being set that in a set of offences that is already under-reported, under-prosecuted and under-convicted, victims were to be sent the signal that if they were to lose the court case (as they are massively odds on to do) their anonymity can be sacrificed because why - because that's what suits the interests of the powerful man who they accused? 
It's why some people who profess to be feminists are effectively paying lip service to their beliefs.

39 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

The idea that they shouldn't have anonymity just because he was found not guilty is ridiculous. Unless you sign up to the real crackpot shit that it was all made up and none of it ever happened then we know that something unpleasant happened to each of those women, and just because criminality couldn't be proven beyond reasonable doubt (or whatever the standard is) that doesn't mean they suddenly become fair game.

It'd be a really shameful outcome of this case if it became apparent that the continuation of Salmond's vandetta against Sturgeon was considered worth ruining those women's lives over. Never mind the precedent being set that in a set of offences that is already under-reported, under-prosecuted and under-convicted, victims were to be sent the signal that if they were to lose the court case (as they are massively odds on to do) their anonymity can be sacrificed because why - because that's what suits the interests of the powerful man who they accused? 

If the extend of their involvement was limited to the court case then I would agree.  It isn't.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/alex-salmond-inquiry-messages-handed-committee-crown-office-not-remit-3121694

NewsPolitics

Alex Salmond inquiry: Messages handed to committee by Crown Office 'not in remit'

The committee examining the Scottish Government’s botched handling of harassment complaints against former first minister Alex Salmond has agreed messages released to it from the Crown Office are “not relevant to the committee’s work”.

Unanimous, apparently.

5 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/alex-salmond-inquiry-messages-handed-committee-crown-office-not-remit-3121694

NewsPolitics

Alex Salmond inquiry: Messages handed to committee by Crown Office 'not in remit'

The committee examining the Scottish Government’s botched handling of harassment complaints against former first minister Alex Salmond has agreed messages released to it from the Crown Office are “not relevant to the committee’s work”.

Unanimous, apparently.

Does this make Sturgeon's position more or less tenable and does she have to go

33 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Does this make Sturgeon's position more or less tenable and does she have to go

I dont think it hugely progresses Salmond's quest to make the alleged conspiracy public.