Wee rovers v Stranraer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Danny Stoney been training with us for weeks. Strange game badly affected by a heavy pitch and wind blowing sleet down the pitch. Good three points without playing that well. Devastating spell in 2nd half started with Quick inswinging free kick from Gibson was flicked goal wards by longworth. Goalie saved on the line. Malcolm stabbed in the rebound. A quick pass through put Cairney in behind he cut the ball back and Andy Stirling rammed the ball into the roof of the net. After dominating we sat back and lost our way and Rovers missed some good chances. However 3 points and upto 5th.

Another bad day at the office for the Rovers: all night long they were second best in midfield and wasteful up front. The best two clear-cut chances were ours but Paul Willis squandered a one-on-one and Mark Ferry put a good chance wide. Ally Love might feel aggrieved at the offside and penalty decisions that went against him. New boy Paul Archibald came on and did himself a lot of favours, putting himself about for 45 minutes, but he is a bit light weight.

Stranraer played us really well. They suffocated us out of playing our normal passing game, won all the headers, did the hard work in midfield and taught our players a lesson in finishing. I actually like Brian Reid a lot; he knows this level very well, he has a lot of good players in his team and if we don't finish 4th I hope they do.

I think this is more like what most of us expected from this season, but last year's title-winning side had spells like this then shook things up a bit and came back stronger. With a run of winnable games coming up they may well bounce back again.

Can we just forfeit this one?

Thank god nobody listens to me.

What a difference a few weeks make. Take out the Peterhead game and it's manager of the month stuff from Reid. A lot of this probably down to having a more settled team.

Don't know is Stoney would be the answer but should he sign he'd be offer something we don't have.

Stranraer were the better team last night- cracking finish for the 2nd goal. In saying that we did have our chances with Willis wasting the best of them. I didn't appreciate the Rovers defence turning on Ross Stewart for the first goal - I thought we switched off at the set price.

The quick thinking of Willie Gibson did you for the first goal. He saw that you weren't organised for the freekick and put over a good ball. Longworth flicked it goal wards. To be honest your goalie couldn't be blamed. I thought he did well to stop it going in. Greasy pitch close range header. Malcolm stabbed home the rebound. Cairney ran the show. Top performance again from him. Got slack after we scored the 2nd.

Another bad day at the office for the Rovers: all night long they were second best in midfield and wasteful up front. The best two clear-cut chances were ours but Paul Willis squandered a one-on-one and Mark Ferry put a good chance wide. Ally Love might feel aggrieved at the offside and penalty decisions that went against him. New boy Paul Archibald came on and did himself a lot of favours, putting himself about for 45 minutes, but he is a bit light weight.

Stranraer played us really well. They suffocated us out of playing our normal passing game, won all the headers, did the hard work in midfield and taught our players a lesson in finishing. I actually like Brian Reid a lot; he knows this level very well, he has a lot of good players in his team and if we don't finish 4th I hope they do.

I think this is more like what most of us expected from this season, but last year's title-winning side had spells like this then shook things up a bit and came back stronger. With a run of winnable games coming up they may well bounce back again.

Ominously we are at the Stade de Cliftonhill on Saturday !!! :(

Archived