Weird things you have seen at the Football

Roker Rover

I have been to an awful lot of football matches over the years but every now and again something totally weird happens and it sticks in your memory

Gateshead v Macclesfield in the old Northern Premier League in the early 80's. Macclesfield centre half gets a straight red and as he walks off he gets into a heated debate with the Gateshead manager. Others calm the situation down and the player finally leaves the field and walk past the dugouts and onto the running track. As he does so he notices the physio's bucket which has been strategically placed behind the glass dugouts on the running track. He stops, turns around and picks up the bucket, runs round the side of the dugout and pours the contents over the fully suited and booted Heed manager.

What made it funnier was that the entire crowd at Gateshead games sit in the Tyne and Wear County side behind the dugouts so we could all see what was going to happen. It was like something from a Panto. All hell broke lose.

Viktoria Zizkov v Banik Most in April. Match kicked off and within two minutes a group of Zizkov fans sitting near us got up and walked down to the front of the stand carrying plastic shopping bags and proceeded to throw hundreds of pine cones onto the pitch and unfurl a banner. The ref stopped the game and the stewards allowed this weird protest to carry on for two or three minutes. The Zizkov players all kneeled down on one knee during the entire episode as if it was some sort of religious ceremony.

The fans then sat back down while the stewards cleared the pitch of the offending cones and the game continued. Nobody was thrown out.

We were completely bemused by the whole thing and only found out later that Zizkov had not been paying their players and they were demoted one division despite being in the top half and now play in the 3rd tier. The players were clearly showing their respect for the fans backing them.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy McLarens triple red card at Broadwood. We all knew he was a screw loose but this was a meltdown of epic proportion even by his standards. We were winning 2-0 and Dundee got a penalty with a couple of minutes left which they scored. McLaren went to retrieve the ball which was in one of our players hands so he lashed out at him to grab the ball, had a go at another Clyde player lashing out at him aswell and last but not least on his way up the tunnel he booted a hole in the referees changing room door :lol:

A County v Morton game, the ref and linesmen had to stop the game and move all the stewards because their hi-viz jackets were clashing with Morton's luminous yellow away strip. Always expected it to appear on Question of Sport at some point.

Time to whip-out my 'only in the Juniors' story...

I'm sure I've mentioned this on P&B before - but I was at a North Junior Cup tie a few years ago between Hillhead and Lossiemouth United. Perhaps 30 to 35 mins in, the tubby ginger central midfield of Lossiemouth (who were I think 1-0 down at the time) turned his man on the edge of the centre circle, made progress towards the Hillhead goal. As space opened-up, he hit a long-range drive. It beat the keeper and dipped under the bar...

... and over the top of the net which wasn't suitably fastened and therefore hanging down slightly, out the back of the goal and down an embankment into a clump of trees. Goal kick. Not all the Lossiemouth team realised what had happened, but those who did went beserk. Ref declinded their protest and as I think of it now, must've consciously decided not to check the net there and then. Halftime came and the players and ref went down the tunnel. Obviously the Lossie fury had continued as a few minutes later the ref finally came out to check the net. Only problem was, in the intervening minutes some Hillhead committee men had nipped out with stepladder and tape and fixed it before the ref came to check. Hillhead went on to win by 4-1 or so.

Couple of seasons back at Aarau v Young Boys, the away fans had a banner that covered the entire away end. About 60 minutes in, the YB fans are doing some sort of co-ordinated chant and the banner slowly goes from the front to the back, covering everyone. Stays over them for a few minutes then disappears back down the front but with the entire away end now topless and in some cases bollock naked. Was a definite "What the f**k" moment.

At the same game, the away fans also started off with the usual pyro stuff, with flares and smoke bombs. Seemed to be more and more flares appearing until it looked as though everyone at the front of the crowd, at the back and down the edges had a flare lit up. Then some guy bang in the middle started letting off all sorts of display fireworks, with rocket after rocket after rocket being shot into the sky. Again, quite surreal.

The game itself was shite.

As for the juniors, I think the strangest one I've seen there was when someone climbed on top of the away dugout at Holm Park and started jumping up and down like a monkey, while hurling abuse at the folk underneath him sitting in the dugout.

Was watching Stirling vs. Stenny last season and the Stirling keeper Callum Reidford was having a bit of a mare, particularly for Stenny's third goal where he got dispossessed by their striker and was left floundering around on the floor as the striker dribbled into the goal. The crowd were (quite rightly) getting on his back as a result.

Minutes later he pulls off a decent save a gives his own fans a huge "get it up you" as if he'd somehow proved them wrong for ever criticising him.

The game finished 4-0 and I believe the Bino's manager was sacked shortly after

Was watching Stirling vs. Stenny last season and the Stirling keeper Callum Reidford was having a bit of a mare, particularly for Stenny's third goal where he got dispossessed by their striker and was left floundering around on the floor as the striker dribbled into the goal. The crowd were (quite rightly) getting on his back as a result.

Minutes later he pulls off a decent save a gives his own fans a huge "get it up you" as if he'd somehow proved them wrong for ever criticising him.

The game finished 4-0 and I believe the Bino's manager was sacked shortly after

Reidford never seemed as mentally stable after Gregory Tade accidentally stood on his face which required Reidford getting 3 metal plates in his mouth . Understandable to be fair

Archived