Old Sweet shops.

supermik

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was breaking into this little sweetshop right? Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. Well I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shop owner and his son, that's a different story altogether... I had to beat them to death with their own shoes... Nasty business really.

Kings sweetie shop in Wishaw was amazing. The factory was only 2 minutes away and the smell from it was top notch.

I remember a great sweet shop in Craigneuk near the main entrance to the Ravenscraig. My wee Teuchter brain was blown away by exotic Weegie delights such as Millions and glass bottles of juice that you could return for 20p.

aye, King's Oddfellows were great. Especially the orange-coloured ones, seemed a bit softer than the rest for some reason and you could work a groove into them with your teeth and enjoy the resulting powder.

The sweetie shop in Crieff that somebody mentioned is still there, and it's a good 'un. There's another excellent one in North Berwick, and used to be one in Peebles too, tho it's a few years since I was there so it may be gone.

I was in Moffat a few months back and found a deli that did a lot of unusual sweets. I bought a couple of cinnamon sticks and also a sarsaparilla stick, cos I'd never tasted one. The cinnamon sticks were as tasty and indigestible as ever, just like they should be, but the sarsaparilla stick was bowfin'.

It was I, Rudi, who spoke of the Crieff emporium. Very nice indeed, but with prices to reflect the prosperous nature of that burg. Regarding sarsaparilla: I've never tasted it, but, generally, American confectionery is hugely inferior to European, so you do not surprise me.

The big sweet shop in Motherwell was called The Candy Box. That sounded effete in the 60s and now sounds....well...strange.

2oz of midget gems was a treat!

There was also a place on Merry Street, across the road and down a bit from The Woodcutter. Forgot what it was/is called.

West Greenock Cafe was good as well, not been there for a long time either.

There was also a place on Merry Street, across the road and down a bit from The Woodcutter. Forgot what it was/is called.

West Greenock Cafe was good as well, not been there for a long time either.

That wee place is still there. We just call it the post office but just realised, don't think it actually is a post office. Sells pipes and other random stuff too.

Archived