Old Sweet shops.

supermik

Its all very well reminiscing about Giant bars of chocolate. What about the good old fashioned sweetie shop. They are few and far between now. I remember as a young snotty nose that Gorgie had two of them, right next door to each other. The wall shelves were packed with large screw top jars filled with every sweet imaginable. The sweets would be decanted into a big oval dish on the scales then poured into a little paper bag. Loved the rhubarb and custard flavoured boilings.

I used to have a school holiday job in a factory that made all the old style sweets and they even made puff candy.

Are there any old style sweetie shops in your town?

What are your favourite sweeties or do you just prefer Bah Humbugs?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to be a wee shop just down the road from me, was about the size of a shoe box but had every sweet you could imagine. The guys name was Mr Long, which was funny considering he was about 5ft. Still a good few old style confectionary shops out Stirling way.

I find that when you find an " old fashioned " sweet shop , there's one in Renfrew and there was one in Partick it's a major disappointment. All the E numbers and whatever else made them taste good has been removed and they are but a shadow of their former selves. Oddfellows being a very good example.

Maybe should be in pttgoyn or auld duffers thread?

There are a few places in Glasgow that I've noticed make a point of selling old-fashioned sweets. I always think "that's nice", but don't go in because unfortunately I don't actually like sweets anymore. But if I was a kid I'd love them.

e.g.:

langside_cafe.jpg

34247060_4d8dd77df8.jpg

or:

22740045.jpg

Archived