Which is the most boring club to follow?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Rochdale and Montrose are the clear leaders here.

To clarify, this is about how boring it would be to support them, not whether you think a club are boring. Stoke clearly don't count, they've been in a Cup Final, played in Europe and have one of the most exciting attacks in the country. All of which would have been unimaginable 10 years ago.

The Montrose play-off final in May was fairly exciting and attracted a fairly impressive crowd. Granted Brora took quite a few and some of the locals were Arbroath fans rubber-necking, but it's always interesting to note how big a crowd a team can get in a genuinely important match, rather than a cup tie against the bigots.

East Stirling are probably in a worse state and if they take the plunge almost certainly won't be coming back into the national leagues. Not even having your own ground or credible catchment area must be rubbish. Unless you consider conceding 100 goals in a dead rubber league entertaining, in which case their antics a few years ago count them out.

Maybe Everton? They are always around the middle, no real relegation threat, little chance of Champions league, always looking for rich owners seemingly, never finding them. One run to FA cup finals in recent decades, otherwise nothing special.

Also I watch MLS during summers, so I'll throw in Chicago Fire here. You have a big league, 20 teams now, soon to be 24, then 28 probably within 10 years, and Chicago Fire is stuck with poor ownership, no exciting signings, no memorable seasons. No clear upside either, because while they are in a huge market, they've built their stadium in a small suburb in the middle of nowhere, and support is just weak. It's just a disappointing team to support. Nothing to be excited about, and the league keeps getting bigger and bigger and they get left further behind. No relegation in that league either.

I think Scottish leagues are a bit more exciting because they are small and it's easier to get relegated, plus there are multiple cups. Every Scottish team has something to fight for occasionally, an MLS team can really be stuck with nothing for many years.

Would agree with the fella that said Celtic.

A relatively big club in the grand scheme of things, with a budget millions of times bigger than anyone else in the same country. If they don't win the treble it's a failure, and they never do. Even winning the league has no excitement because beating teams like Aberdeen and Hearts with f**k all budget means little. The only big occasions for Celtic are European games and even then they're getting pumped out by Molde or whatever their name was. Not much to get properly excited about if you're a Celtic supporter, it seems pretty dull.

Euro matches have been exciting, just disappointing. Kind of like relegation battle can be exciting but disappointing. Premiership, yep, it's not been too exciting.

Would agree with the fella that said Celtic.

A relatively big club in the grand scheme of things, with a budget millions of times bigger than anyone else in the same country. If they don't win the treble it's a failure, and they never do. Even winning the league has no excitement because beating teams like Aberdeen and Hearts with f**k all budget means little. The only big occasions for Celtic are European games and even then they're getting pumped out by Molde or whatever their name was. Not much to get properly excited about if you're a Celtic supporter, it seems pretty dull.

So are we just cherry picking since Rangers died? Ok.

In that time we defeated what was arguably the best club side in the world at the time, qualified for the latter stages of the champions league, been thrown in and out of Europe in the space of a few days. Also had a manager change, sold some players for funny money, made it past christmas again in Europe.

Had some roller coaster domestic semi finals ( Hearts and Inverness spring to mind).

Now we have a title race that doesnt get much closer at the moment.

To summarise, yer talking pish.

I think stadium is a big factor as well, at least with Newcastle you're minutes walk from the town centre pubs and it's a decent experience, other than the match usually. Watching someone like Derby, Boro or Scunthorpe at a relatively new ground where the nearest things to the ground are a roundabout, drive through KFC and dm franky and bennys, would also make going to the match a dreary experience despite the glamour of the undoubted aforementioned trio.

I think stadium is a big factor as well, at least with Newcastle you're minutes walk from the town centre pubs and it's a decent experience, other than the match usually. Watching someone like Derby, Boro or Scunthorpe at a relatively new ground where the nearest things to the ground are a roundabout, drive through KFC and dm franky and bennys, would also make going to the match a dreary experience despite the glamour of the undoubted aforementioned trio.

Can't beat the inner City grounds close to a train station, Can you imagine the likes of Hibs had actually moved to Straiton.

So are we just cherry picking since Rangers died? Ok.

In that time we defeated what was arguably the best club side in the world at the time, qualified for the latter stages of the champions league, been thrown in and out of Europe in the space of a few days. Also had a manager change, sold some players for funny money, made it past christmas again in Europe.

Had some roller coaster domestic semi finals ( Hearts and Inverness spring to mind).

Now we have a title race that doesnt get much closer at the moment.

To summarise, yer talking pish.

Sorry but sitting in a half empty Celtic Park every second Saturday really doesn't look the most appealing.

The Riverside is a 5-10 minute walk to the town centre and even less to some pubs. Doesn't really make any difference to the experience for me, but can see why it would affect some people's experience. Never been to Newcastle, but in terms of Boro, it's no different to the likes of Ibrox/Celtic Park where you're a good bit away from decent pubs etc, despite being in a large city.

The Riverside is a 5-10 minute walk to the town centre and even less to some pubs. Doesn't really make any difference to the experience for me, but can see why it would affect some people's experience. Never been to Newcastle, but in terms of Boro, it's no different to the likes of Ibrox/Celtic Park where you're a good bit away from decent pubs etc, despite being in a large city.

Newcastle takes a bit of beating. An easy walk from Newcastle Central and loads of good pubs.

Newcastle takes a bit of beating. An easy walk from Newcastle Central and loads of good pubs.

As I say I've never been but can imagine it would be brilliant. There's a reason that loads of people who aren't even fans choose to go to St James' for a game.

Archived