Sunday Football

theweepieman

Fair enough, very interesting, and we can always rely on you to have the rules at hand. ;-)

The idea of one match each week being moved to a Sunday is a good one in my opinion, as long as it's not the same club affected all the time. With the increasing number of video guys around as well, we could get our own live matches each Sunday afternoon beamed through the Internet on Periscope. ;-)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were pleased with the turn out on Sunday. However I think this was due to having no games taken place over the past week because of the Holidays. We felt that a fortnight off that wasn't weather related was waste and we would get traditional supporters along on the Sunday. Don't think it a long term solution. Clubs complain of a 12.45pm kick off for live football on Sky/BT effecting crowds, Sky tend to keep their big games for the double header Super Sunday. Some forward planning would be required for next festive season as Christmas/New Year is a Sunday.

I dont see why the SJFA couldn't experiment with one Superleague game each week (one West, one East, one North) shifted to a Sunday and ask clubs for feedback on crowd/revenue.

There's plenty of people out there who go to senior games or work on Saturdays, who would pop along on a Sunday.

Plenty of players and fans alike still rely on a Sunday OT shift to make up their wages.

That's a good point although most employers if given the choice of handing out one overtime shift per week will opt to go for a Saturday shift as it's far less costly in terms of only time and a half up until noon on a Saturday as opposed to double time all day on the Sunday .

You will probably find due to this that far more people will be working overtime on Saturdays compared to sundays.

I think Sunday football would be a great idea if it's done correctly one game in the region being played on a given Sunday could be quite appealing .

I dont see why the SJFA couldn't experiment with one Superleague game each week (one West, one East, one North) shifted to a Sunday and ask clubs for feedback on crowd/revenue.

There's plenty of people out there who go to senior games or work on Saturdays, who would pop along on a Sunday.

The North definitely allow Friday night football.

Banks O Dee probably have the most Friday night games, in the city, have floodlights and move to avoid clashing with Aberdeen I think.

Have seen a couple of others use a Friday too, and it is normally Aberdeen or Aberdeenshire teams.

Plus there's plenty of (us) neutral addicts glad of an extra game to go to on a Sunday on top of the normal Saturday fix who'll boost the attendance.

I was down from Aberdeenshire to Ardrossan purely because it was played on the Sunday, for my second match of the weekend.

I got chatting with another there as a neutral since I'd recognized him as having also been in the crowd at the same Saturday game as me.

And there were some English accents to be heard too.

Characterful venue. Entertaining fitba. Excellent pie (before they ran out).

Great use of my Sunday. More opportunities please ! :)

For me Sunday is a day for the family, I'd be all for a game on a Friday night but not a Sunday

But that means the use of the devil's incandescence. Not many clubs have these sinister devices, so it would end up being the same clubs every few weeks until the lighter nights. A Sunday afternoon would be different though.

The big issue for the juniors regarding the Sunday would be the advance notice needed to ensure that officials, players etc were able to be involved through shift change, different family commitments etc. At the moment that's not gonna happen on the 14 day notice at best that seems to be used when arranging fixtures.

The Lowland League had a very successful groundhop day that saw three matches played in D and G and Gretna but advance warning was about six months in advance so players could rearrange other commitments.

For exactly that reason I don't think you'll ever see Saturday postponements re-tried on Sundays, as some people have been suggesting here, except in rare and unusual cases.

Saturday afternoon matches have got several advantages including the fact that people are used to it; that it's the only time of the weekend free of live TV games; and the way fits in with transport, work and evening leisure patterns (for players and committee as well as supporters) in comparison to the alternatives of evenings, lunchtimes or Sundays.

In the Juniors the option of Friday evening is also severely curtailed by the longstanding practice relating to artificial light.

However, alternative days seem particularly suited to special games or times - festive season, international weekends, cup finals, etc.

Same would apply to moving occasional games to Sundays as a novelty, but if you did it every week you'd quickly dilute it.

My own impression is that Fridays hold the best opportunities for non-league teams - as a novelty not constantly - and there has been limited experiment along those lines in the Senior non-leagues and the North Juniors, with some tentative successes.

Is there not a rule around west clubs not allowed to use floodlights for games?? If true, would stop Friday night games happening.

My understanding is that both teams have to be agreeable to the use of the floodlights for the game to go ahead. However, we have had occasions in the past where the referee has requested that our floodlights be switched on at half time due to the darkening weather conditions.

I think it's one of those old-school rules, based on "why should a team who are used to having lights have an advantage over a team whose ground doesn't have lights". However, it's a nonsense in my opinion, as teams do not train in the dark over the winter period, every single team trains under lights from round about September to March.

AFAICS, there is nothing in the SJFA or West Region rules (available on their website) actually forbidding the use of artificial light.

I presume it's same in East Region.

However, as covered elsewhere on here often before there is effectively a block on such games through: (1) some kind of principle or standing order, which means that both clubs have to agree to playing by artificial light; and (2) the regions don't schedule such games themself, even to the extent of midweek fixtures in August or the spring being put out at 6:45pm or similar when the host has lights.

Effect of this is that a game could only be moved to a Friday after a suitable one was issued for a Saturday - often at just 1-2 weeks notice; then one club took the initiative; then their opponent agreed.

Things are seemingly more liberal up North.

Archived