Czech Republic v Scotland - 24/3/16

Lex

Steven Fletcher.

Steven Fletcher had a legitimate reason seeing as he was probably our best striker yet still wasn't getting picked. Bains fourth choice at best based on ability.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dundee fans need to simmer. Bain wasn't on as it was a narrow lead in a game we were winning and outwith half time theres no real time to change a keeper. He'll clearly earn a cap at some point.

It seems clear that he was told that he'd get time but that Strachan changed his mind during the game.

He will get his cap but I think he's going to have to wait a while longer yet - these sort of games won't happen that often once WC qualifying starts - can't see WGS going beyond his first 3 keepers not unless there is an injury.

Who's to say that one or more of them won't get injured at some point - Gordon and McGregor have both had spells in the past - would you really want an uncapped and untested Bain being stand-in in a competitive match?

I wouldn't and I'm a big fan.

Yest it should. We've utterly neglected our World Ranking for fucking years and its pretty important to qualifying these days. Switzerland are no better than us yet regularly qualify as they spend their time hunting down ranking points.

:lol: yeh we have loads of players kicking about for Juventus,Dortmund and Wolfsburg.

RandomGuy., on 24 Mar 2016 - 21:48, said:

Steven Fletcher had a legitimate reason seeing as he was probably our best striker yet still wasn't getting picked. Bains fourth choice at best based on ability.

As I said - more than once, and in the post I made my original point - it wasn't just specifically in reference to Bain though.

It seems clear that he was told that he'd get time but that Strachan changed his mind during the game.

He will get his cap but I think he's going to have to wait a while longer yet - these sort of games won't happen that often once WC qualifying starts - can't see WGS going beyond his first 3 keepers not unless there is an injury.

Who's to say that one or more of them won't get injured at some point - Gordon and McGregor have both had spells in the past - would you really want an uncapped and untested Bain being stand-in in a competitive match?

I wouldn't and I'm a big fan.

You're clearly biased as f**k and incapable of actually thinking about quite why an uncapped goalkeeper wasn't used in a game which is a huge boost to our ranking. I'd be as worried if Bains starting a WC qualifier even if he had played 45 minutes here, it means nothing.

Good to get the win, and great to see Snodgrass back and playing well.

Robertson was a bit shaky and McLean a bit anonymous, but really we played okay. I was encouraged by McCormack. McGregor did well tonight, too. I would've liked to have seen Caddis get a good half hour at least in his natural position.

As I said - more than once, and in the post I made my original point - it wasn't just specifically in reference to Bain though.

What are you even on about? The Fletcher situation is absolutely miles from the Bain situation. If he does randomly quit the Country because he never got 45 minutes in a friendly ahead of a superior keeper then he's absolute fucking idiot.

So Scott Bain's going to turn his back on Scotland because he's not playing ahead of McGregor, Marshall and Gordon? :lol:

Not just him, the other 2 players that never got played too will be extremely demoralised!!!!!!!! Poor Gordon Greer and Kevin McDonald, we can only hope Greer doesn't reject any future call ups or that McDonald hasn't got family from Lochee/Irish links.

RandomGuy., on 24 Mar 2016 - 21:52, said:

What are you even on about? The Fletcher situation is absolutely miles from the Bain situation. If he does randomly quit the Country because he never got 45 minutes in a friendly ahead of a superior keeper then he's absolute fucking idiot.

Read the thread again - I never once suggested that Scott Bain would quit the country FFS.

Not just him, the other 2 players that never got played too will be extremely demoralised!!!!!!!! Poor Gordon Greer and Kevin McDonald, we can only hope Greer doesn't reject any future call ups or that McDonald hasn't got family from Lochee/Irish links.

Its mental. You'd have no idea its happened in virtually every friendly squad under WGS, and even before him players were regularly called up to play 5 minutes.

Clearly Bains been treated horrendously though

Guest DAVIDB69

Strachan's friendly record:

W:6 (Estonia, Norway, Poland, Northern Ireland, Qatar, Czech Republic)

D:2 (USA, Nigeria)

L:2 (England x2)

Decent record IMO, shame it counts for very little.

Think it's 6 3 and 6 in competitive games

Three of the wins are Lithuania and Gibraltar X 2

Read the thread again - I never once suggested that Scott Bain would quit the country FFS.

Sorry, I'm getting all the seething Dundee fans mixed up

All I said was that it must be demoralising for a player to give up one of the few extended breaks they get in a season, undergo a 'bootcamp' of sorts, travel to the Czech Republic and then not get on after it being heavily hinted at that they would.

Nothing to do with quitting their country. That was the closet DAB that spun it into that.

Archived