Czech Republic v Scotland - 24/3/16

Lex

Bain's 24, compared to the people ahead (Gordon 33, Shagger 34, Marshall 31).  I expect Marshall will be our number one for the next two campaigns, with  Bain probably consistently in the squad, with a view to taking over from Marshall.  He's then got years and years ahead of him if he keeps the quality up.  I wouldn't be worried if I was him.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what some people were seeing in that Czech team that impressed them. They had us under pressure in spells but seemed lacking in quality at both ends of the park to me. It's maybe unfair to compare them to teams of the past but they looked pretty ordinary, probably a little behind Poland from what we've seen recently.

Just looked at the rankings and Poland are joint 31st with Cape Verde Islands, seems legit.

Tbf France are in a different league compared to us. Look at the players they have at their disposal, Laporte, Haller, lemar, Rabiot, Cornet, Dembele and Gbamin.

Don't get me wrong, I expected us to lose, maybe by 3-4. But the performance from most of the team was absolutely abysmal, no fight whatsoever which is all I would ask for.

You'd think Scott Bain was the first player in history to be called up and not get any game time wouldn't you?

Also, Ikechi Anya is the #boi.

Was at the game. Scotland rode their luck in the first half, gave the ball away too easily at times, but McGregor had an excellent game. Anya is that rare breed of player, someone who looks better at international level than club level. What a find he has been for Scotland. We need two or three more like him. We played better in the second half. Our substitutions strengthened us, whereas the raft of Czech substitutions weakened them. Most of the team did fairly well. Robertson was off form and Kenny McLean looked lost, didn't seem to know what his role was. When those two were replaced by Bannan and Phillips the team looked much improved. It's good to have Snodgrass back, he was on the end of a few rough challenges from the Czechs, but did well. Czech Republic weren't great, though they should have scored a couple in the first half. A morale-boosting win in a difficult place to get a result with a weakened squad. Can't complain.

I remember the Dutch kids giving us a proper doing in Paisley not so long ago. Some of the boys we were up against are going for £5M-£10M+ .

We are so far off the elite nations at under 21 level, and of course the main squad too.

Remeber this well. Sure it was John McGinn who said that the speed, physicality and technical ability of the dutch was unreal. He singled out Quincy Promes in particular, saying that he was the best player he's ever played against.

Don't get me wrong, I expected us to lose, maybe by 3-4. But the performance from most of the team was absolutely abysmal, no fight whatsoever which is all I would ask for.

I never watched the game or that was just saying the talent France have at their disposal is frightening. Wasn't trying to have a dig at your post. I'm not too clued up on our u21 set up but for some reason I'm not too keen on Ricky Sbragia.

In Prague airport waiting for my flight home. Firstly, what a fucking trip! A great city. Bumped into some boy from here - a Morton fan. Can't remember what his P&B name was though. :lol:

Thought we were lucky to get the win last night. McGregor had a great game for us. Great finish from Anya to win it.

Wasn't impressed with Andrew Robertson in Prague and in fact he hasn't had a really good Scotland performance for a while. Think Georgia at Ibrox was the last time he really shone.

It seems to be accepted that he's our first choice left back but I would like to see a few others tried out, namely Shinnie and Wallace, as Whittaker and Forsyth were both poor replacements in the last campaign.

Wasn't impressed with Andrew Robertson in Prague and in fact he hasn't had a really good Scotland performance for a while. Think Georgia at Ibrox was the last time he really shone.

It seems to be accepted that he's our first choice left back but I would like to see a few others tried out, namely Shinnie and Wallace, as Whittaker and Forsyth were both poor replacements in the last campaign.

Wallace :lol:

Robertson was the second best (after Mulgrew) player on the park against Ireland at home and, as far as I remember, has only had one other competitive start since (excluding the Gibraltar games). I think he's far and away our best left-back and definitely ahead of Shinnie and Wallace.

Just watched the 4 minute highlights. One thing that stood out apart from not keeping the ball and not recognising any of the Czech line up was hutton running away from the ball while trying to defend instead of running to the man. This kind of shit in a competitive match will be severely punished. Great going forward but poor at the real job. Things need to change in this respect.

Think that's what Strachan was getting when he said players were taking things too literally in the first half.

We did give the ball away more than I'd have liked, but I'd say our main failing was our inability to break up their possession and win the ball back. That's what led to long spells of Czech pressure.

Archived