Twin Squads for March Friendlies

Gordopolis

I hate the 'well who else is there?' retort from folk when someone critises a manager they're in favour of.

There's literally hundreds of managers who could get an international team of Scotland's ability defending well and scoring goals.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree with selecting McGinn or Tierney for the senior Scotland squad at this stage, but I get the logic in that it gives players who will hopefully one day be good enough to start games in the future experience of being in the squad and a chance for Strachan to assess them in training.

How can Liam Bridcutt be picked ahead of Scott Arfield? Seriously WTF? I always thought Arfield was somewhat overrated by Falkirk fans but he's been outstanding in a good Burnley team. Bridcutt has been average in a shit Leeds team. Arfield isn't a teenager but you could easily get two campaigns out of him. Ridiculous to see him behind some of these names.

Re Sibbald - he should be starting for the under 21s but is miles off the first team squad.

Gordon Strachan says no "superstars" in latest squad. Says he'll go tried and tested for next campaign if youngsters can't prove themselves

"Tried and tested" yet failed to qualify for another major tournament.

Sigh

That doesn't really make sense.  There aren't too many tried and tested guys who have been rested.

His time playing for Scotland has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to his ability to manage us competently - something in which he spectacularly failed at in our Euro 2016 Qualifying campaign.

Each to their own and all that, but worshiping a manager who has just presided over another disaster of a qualifying campaign whilst we are beating a Gibraltar side worse than most pub teams and signing 'no Scotland, no party' just isn't for me.

We're a nation of losers, especially in a football sense.

Of course it plays a part, he's a legend with fans for that reason, not because he guided us to 4th in qualifying, if it had been anyone else they wouldn't have received the reception he got in Gibraltar. But fans do trust the guy. He done well on the whole apart from the 2 games I mentioned. Starting to give him grief and moaning about him over this squad announcement is a ridiculous over reaction. I noticed you haven't suggested anybody else that would be better and that would take it..?

I agree with the last part, we are and the referendum confirmed that. But not sure what that has to do with anything? We're also a nation of moany b*****ds, which you seem to be good at.

Why even bother going to games if you dislike the fans, players, manager and Scotland so much? :lol:

I hate the 'well who else is there?' retort from folk when someone critises a manager they're in favour of.

There's literally hundreds of managers who could get an international team of Scotland's ability defending well and scoring goals.

Like who???

Of course it plays a part, he's a legend with fans for that reason, not because he guided us to 4th in qualifying, if it had been anyone else they wouldn't have received the reception he got in Gibraltar. But fans do trust the guy. He done well on the whole apart from the 2 games I mentioned. Starting to give him grief and moaning about him over this squad announcement is a ridiculous over reaction. I noticed you haven't suggested anybody else that would be better and that would take it..?

I agree with the last part, we are and the referendum confirmed that. But not sure what that has to do with anything? We're also a nation of moany b*****ds, which you seem to be good at.

Why even bother going to games if you dislike the fans, players, manager and Scotland so much? :lol:

He failed to get us out of probably the most generous group we're likely to have - bar the next one, I suppose - any time in the near future.

Call me old fashioned, however I'd be looking to pick my best squad of players and ones who are most likely to be my starting 11, I'd play them in "friendlies" to get used to each other and to get used to a style of play. In all seriousness anyone who has Sky or BT Sport knows pretty much the limitations and current form of these guys, so why doesn't Strachan and the rest of the coaches ?? (maybe they don't have Sky or BT).

As for not picking the likes of Shinnie because "he knows what he can do", does he not know what Charlie Mulgrew, Steven Whittaker, James Forrest etc can do ? (or not do as the case may be).

It may seem an overreaction as it's "just a couple of friendlies", however what's the point if we're playing guys like John McGinn who in all seriousness have absolutely NO CHANCE of making the competitive squads or teams.

Maybe it's some sort of kickback deal with the clubs (like the Brazilian boy Rafael Scheidt that Celtic signed), which boosts their transfer value if they pick up an international cap ???

:lol:

Can't think of anyone, posts a laughing emoji.

He failed to get us out of probably the most generous group we're likely to have - bar the next one, I suppose - any time in the near future.

He did fail, but not to an extent that he should have been sacked surely?

We should've won in Georgia, and we needed to win one of Poland at Home or Ireland away. Not winning either of the last 2 was hardly disastrous either but Ireland's results against Germany made them seem it.

Georgia away and Ireland away are the only 2 times I've thought Strachan got it wrong.

Can't think of anyone, posts a laughing emoji.

A competent manager picking players based on ability.  There you go, that's hundreds right there.

Standard a Celtic man is sticking up for Strachan though.

Edit - to comment on your other point, doing what Strachan is doing?  Picking his favourites and finishing below South Ireland?

A competent manager picking players based on ability. There you go, that's hundreds right there.

Standard a Celtic man is sticking up for Strachan though.

Great answer..

Name a few that would do a better job than Strachan and that would take it?

Not sure what Rhodes or McCormack have to do in addition to banging in loads of goals and being subject to large transfer fees in a decent league. Perhaps not having recent goals against Hamilton or Motherwell is the missing piece. At the very least they should be given a run out to see if they can bring anything to the table. Seem to remember Strachan saying they need to bring more than just goals but that's slightly hypocritical when Forrest and Mulgrew have been given regular game time based on nothing.

Who would win tho'?

Allan McGregor  

Alan Hutton - Russell Martin - Charlie Mulgrew - Andrew Robertson

Ikechi Anya  - Darren Fletcher -  Barry Bannan -  Robert Snodgrass

Steven Naismith
Steven Fletcher

Subs

Scott Bain

Christophe Berra

Gordon Greer

Steven Whittaker

Kevin McDonald