Twin Squads for March Friendlies

Gordopolis

If forrest and mulgrew got into 25 man squads (and starting 11s), why is it such a surprise they've made a 32 man squad? I would be much happier with shinnie, Rhodes and mccormack but actually quite excited to see what Tierney (who seems to be getting pretty underrated to me), watt and McLean can do

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assume Burke is being called up to prevent him being stolen later down the line?

He can still play elsewhere after playing for us in a friendly. By all accounts that's not in his head though. It's Scotland all the way.

Aye? How come?

Was wondering that myself. The guys born and bred in England, and it's not as if he's waited till its clear he's never going to play for England before switching to Scotland like those who followed a similar path before him did.

Maybe he has a very persuasive Scottish family member.

Disappointed to see an (English) jobber like Bridcutt in at the expense of Shinnie.

Can understand why McCormack has been left out for a younger player like Watt but it doesn’t build many bridges with a player who has shown himself very capable at Championship level and who is a more frequent scorer than Strachan darling, Chris Martin.

Why is Steven Fletcher in both squads and Anya's listed as a defender for the Denmark one?

Quite a few in both squads, not sure why, maybe he's looked at guys who aren't in a crucial position/playing regularly with their club.

He only made "an abortion" of one match. Win against Georgia, we'd have been in the playoffs instead of Ireland, and could very well be at Euro 2016. And if that had happened, very, very few would be complaining.

As for the squad, Steven Fletcher in for both games. What a time to be alive 8)

Other than that, looks like he's planning to give more new players a run-out at Hampden. Interesting to see how they get on.

Not really sure what the relevance is of linking Forrest and Mulgrew to Strachan saying it's about more than just goals. They're not there to score goals.

He clearly has big reservations about Rhodes and McCormack fitting into the system he thinks is best. What's so wrong with that? They do need to bring more than just goals, and I don't think they're good enough to have as a passenger elsewhere.

Eh? :lol:

At least Rhodes and mccormack do bring goals.....Chris Martin brings nothing and has been awful in every international appearance so far. to not find a place for Rhodes and mccormack (and shinnie) in either squad defeats the whole point of having these games ie try out a new set of options when what we have been trying has failed conclusively. Forrest and Martin are just bizarre picks who always fail.....why waste time with them yet again and not even look at other options. Can't even be bothered being angry with Strachan anymore. This is going to be yet another wasted 2yr qualifying cycle.

He can still play elsewhere after playing for us in a friendly. By all accounts that's not in his head though. It's Scotland all the way.

Fair enough

Was wondering that myself. The guys born and bred in England, and it's not as if he's waited till its clear he's never going to play for England before switching to Scotland like those who followed a similar path before him did.

Maybe he has a very persuasive Scottish family member.

Not born in England. Don't believe Wiki

Disappointed to see an (English) jobber like Bridcutt in at the expense of Shinnie.

Can understand why McCormack has been left out for a younger player like Watt but it doesn’t build many bridges with a player who has shown himself very capable at Championship level and who is a more frequent scorer than Strachan darling, Chris Martin.

Bridcutt doesn't even play in the same position as Shinnie so what are you on lad?

Mulgrew has played brilliantly for Scotland under Strachan, particularly the Ireland home match. He's also a utility player, good in a small squad. I understand that.

Wasn't just a pop at you bud.

Mulgrew and Whitaker seem to take some flack because they aren't flashy players but they aren't as bad as they are made out.

Maybe Strachan had a word with McInnes and Derek didn't want Shinnie risked?

I have no doubt if Wallace signed for an English club he'd have been in plenty more squads but he chose the easy money with Rangers and therefor sacrificed his Scotland career for the last few seasons. Now we have at least 1 better option than him.

Interested to know what this "system" is that either McCormack or Rhodes don't fit into. Even more interested as to why Fletcher is in both squads while leaving these two out :lol:

Cairney should've clearly been selected too, given the purple patch he's had over the last month and a bit.

Other than that, I like the thinking behind the idea, giving a few younger players and others an opportunity. I must be about the only one who's happy he called up Tierney? I think he looks a superb talent and I'm delighted to see him in. There's always going to be people everyone disagrees with, and debates about who should and shouldn't be in, but generally speaking I'm quite happy with most of the players in there.

Archived