Tommy Robinson

Bambino7

I didn’t realise quite how many people are closet Robinson fans. It’s rather terrifying. I’ve been commenting on an article regarding St. Johnstone’s Cammy MacPherson, who is rightly being called out for retweeting the Robinson documentary the other day. The amount of people who have come out to support him and his “free speech” is astonishing. Lots and lots of people having a go at me, urging me to “watch the documentary and decide.” Horrific stuff. 

10 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I didn’t realise quite how many people are closet Robinson fans. It’s rather terrifying. I’ve been commenting on an article regarding St. Johnstone’s Cammy MacPherson, who is rightly being called out for retweeting the Robinson documentary the other day. The amount of people who have come out to support him and his “free speech” is astonishing. Lots and lots of people having a go at me, urging me to “watch the documentary and decide.” Horrific stuff. 

While it is alarming, the type of people to comment on news articles and engage in Facebook arguments on public posts are more likely to be the type of fud that supports Robinson et al. They are still a minority in the real world.

18 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I agree with some of this, but also think that it's entirely credible to point to Labour's rhetoric on immigration from 1997 - and the escalation of it over the 27 years since that election as the Tories and Labour incessantly tried to outflank each other - as a causal factor here. Obviously no mainstream party is going to explicitly race bait by tying 'we must control immigration' to either skin colour or religion in a wholesale denunciation of multiculturalism that would appease those trying to burn down mosques, but it's still fed into those attitudes.

In 1997 only 3% of the population thought immigration was a key political issue. You can obviously make the argument that the parties/governments have danced to the changing tune of media and public opinion rather than leading it themselves over that time, but Labour were doing this long before the accession of several states to the EU in 2004 that saw a substantial increase in legal immigration to the uproar of the tabloids. They introduced detention centres and the voucher system for asylum seekers as it would "discourage fraudulent claims" in 1999 - the UK wasn't in top 10 in Europe for the number of asylum claims but Blair pledged to halve the number coming in while Blunkett said the children of asylum seekers were "swamping" schools. With further asylum acts they removed the right to work from asylum seekers who were waiting for their claims to be ruled on and then the right to benefits from those appealing having a claim denied, all while the government themselves were using the same language to describe immigrants and especially asylum seekers as the Sun and Daily Mail - scroungers, cheats, flooding, swamping, invading.

It's possible to argue that a growth of anti-immigration sentiment, and an outpouring of explicit racism against anyone who isn't white regardless of how many generations they've spent in the UK which invariably follows it, was going to develop over the last 25-30 years no matter what stance mainstream parties took, but we can't say for sure that it would be the case if we had a party of government willing to speak up in defence of immigrants and try to fight against that sentiment, because we've never had one.

Labour believed they could make themselves the natural party of government by outflanking the Tories to the right on some issues in the 00s while staying to their left economically, it blew up in their face and their solution when they found themselves in opposition again was to fight the following election with "controls on immigration" mugs. Then the Tories moved ever further rightward on immigration throughout their time in office: the hostile environment, the go home vans, Windrush all coming before we even got to Prime Ministers who described Muslim women as "letterboxes", came up with the Rwanda policy or made "Stop The Boats" their central campaign slogan.

Now Labour are back in government again and there are literal pogroms taking place, one of them an arson attack on a hotel housing asylum seekers which a Labour MP stood in Parliament and named days before the pogrom, demanding her constituents "get their hotel back". There has been no condemnation of that MP from any member of the government, who were themselves campaigning just over a month ago on the message that the previous government had "lost control of our borders" and are now showing a curious reluctance to name Islamophobia as a factor in their denunciations of people trying to murder Muslims, having faced accusations over several years from their own elected representatives that the party is institutionally Islamophobic.

How did Labour's 'rhetoric on immigration since 1997' - your causal factor - trigger the previous set of racially motivated riots in May 2001? Given that the communities targeted were not in fact immigrants. 

Which rather undermines the key point you've stated in bold. There's no evidence that racist sentiment and/or violence has developed over the past 25-30 years. It has always been there as a latent threat among a fringe element in society, which is playing out in the same pattern as seen before only with Telegram to better organise it. Just as the potential for more generic urban riots - such as London in 2011 - exists independently of political rhetoric or specific policies. 

To identify causal factors for the non-existent 'growth' of such violence firstly gives those carrying it out far too much relevance, and inevitably ends up as a pick and mix list of cherry-picked stories/policies that explain absolutely nothing about how and why the rioting took place. 

Edited by vikingTON

10 hours ago, Leith Green said:

AUOB are moving their rally from Edinburgh same day as a counter rally.

They'd be better off letting the thick c'nts implode on their own rather than giving them a target to go after

There'll be train loads of lager fuelled potato-heads heading up from Engerlund just looking for trouble - I'd be keeping well clear.

59 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

How did Labour's 'rhetoric on immigration since 1997' - your causal factor - trigger the previous set of racially motivated riots in May 2001? Given that the communities targeted were not in fact immigrants. 

Which rather undermines the key point you've stated in bold. There's no evidence that racist sentiment and/or violence has developed over the past 25-30 years. It has always been there as a latent threat among a fringe element in society, which is playing out in the same pattern as seen before only with Telegram to better organise it. Just as the potential for more generic urban riots - such as London in 2011 - exists independently of political rhetoric or specific policies. 

To identify causal factors for the non-existent 'growth' of such violence firstly gives those carrying it out far too much relevance, and inevitably ends up as a pick and mix list of cherry-picked stories/policies that explain absolutely nothing about how and why the rioting took place. 

@Dunning1874 was actually replying to my general point about the increase in race hate crimes - a 4-fold increase in England & Wales since 2011. Between 2015 and 2020 there was almost a doubling of race hate crimes with violence.

You seem wholly focussed on riots which are in fact the tip of the iceberg of race hate crimes.

As I said before, you made some very pertinent points about the causes of the riot specifically, but these do not explain the general increase in race hate crimes.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

14 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

They'd be better off letting the thick c'nts implode on their own rather than giving them a target to go after

There'll be train loads of lager fuelled potato-heads heading up from Engerlund just looking for trouble - I'd be keeping well clear.

I think at some point though, you have to show that these people don’t represent our views and demonstrate against this. 

Staying silent and letting far right thugs intimidate and scare people who are just living and working here, isn’t ok either. People are getting scared, my Indian neighbours who are lovely people are frightened that they might be targeted now and this is in Glasgow where nothing has happened yet. 

People who disagree with what’s happening and these views need to start showing they disagree. it can’t be assumed that most people do. 

6 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Why is this here?

The thread is titled "Tommy Robinson".

There have just been riots in England and Northern Ireland in which supporters of Tommy Robinson took part and which Tommy Robinson used his social media presence to incite.

The video is an interview with Tommy Robinson explaining what he believes is motivating the rioters.

Why did you ask that?

1 minute ago, Freedom Farter said:

There have just been riots in England and Northern Ireland in which supporters of Tommy Robinson took part and which Tommy Robinson used his social media presence to incite.

The video is an interview with Tommy Robinson explaining what he believes is motivating the rioters.

Why did you ask that?

I've not opened the link as I am not interested in hearing any of his propaganda, if that is what it is.

I just don't think it's a good look advertising his views on this forum at this time, as it's not a very good look for the site. I am sure many others would agree with me.

4 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Why did you ask that?

I’m sure if we wanted to listen to the views of a racist scumbag we could do a search for them.  No need to post a link on here. 

10 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I've not opened the link as I am not interested in hearing any of his propaganda, if that is what it is.

I just don't think it's a good look advertising his views on this forum at this time, as it's not a very good look for the site. I am sure many others would agree with me.

Nobody's advertising his views.

What an utterly bonkers take.

16 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:
30 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Why is this here?

Not the first time TR's defended Israel and admitted them into "the good guys club", I suspect it must be a poisoned chalice for them that TR's the level of political ally they're left with. At some level it's got to be a bitter pill for Mr. Yaxley-Lennon to swallow too.

4 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Someone deleted their quote tweet on that saying that the police had contacted their work advising it was expected today. 

Not a bad idea. Tell your boss that you heard it's about to kick off and that maybe we should evacuate.

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Someone deleted their quote tweet on that saying that the police had contacted their work advising it was expected today. 

One of the replies - the usual made-up whataboutery:

I wonder when one of these bampots will be sued for defamation.