F1 2016

kerrdavidson95

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Yeah makes sense that Horner is bitter. Didn't Red Bull pass the first flexible wing test and they upped the loading to try and ban it. 

Schumacher was dominant, as was Red Bull but genuinely I do not remember it being so one sided for so long. Usually there was a rule change that shook things up. 

i think that is just short term memory syndrome. Schumacher was winning every race for years and years, while Vettel did the same. While the Mercs have had 3 years of dominance, you cant predict the winner out of the two drivers every week. I dont think it is anywhere near as bad as it has been in the past.

11 hours ago, fanny paddery said:

i think that is just short term memory syndrome. Schumacher was winning every race for years and years, while Vettel did the same. While the Mercs have had 3 years of dominance, you cant predict the winner out of the two drivers every week. I dont think it is anywhere near as bad as it has been in the past.

No I really think it is the most established period of dominance F1 has ever seen.  For the last 3 seasons, Mercedes have strolled it. They have won 44 of the last 51 races and all but one this season. It has consistently been a masterclass from them. Sure there is a 'battle' between Rosberg and Hamilton, but it's not exactly great wheel to wheel action and I'd say less enjoyable (in my view) than recent teammate battles. 

If you look at Ferrari and Schumacher they won the title from 2000-2004 admittedly, however not in anyway the same dominance, especially considering he had no team-mate as rival. He had a title challenge by other teams in 2000 & 2003. 2001, 2002 and 2004 he did run away with it but take 2001, nearly half the races were not won by Ferrari. I don't think Ferrari got near the stats Merc are putting up. 

Vettel had the latter part of 2013 when he cakewalked it. 2010 was a cracking title battle, 2011 he ran away with it but still 7/19 races were won by other teams, 2012 was the 7 different winners in first 7 races. Red Bull were kept honest, kept having the FIA modify the cars and were more on edge with reliability and strategy, sometimes to comedy effect. I think the Webber and Vettel battle was brilliant, sure Vettel was faster but Multi 21 was tremendous.

Although the time is right as he's struggled all season, it's still a shame to see Felipe Massa announce his retirement today.

One of the good guys and that was maybe his problem. He was, of course, subject to one of the most heartbreaking sporting defeats ever and suffered that terrible injury in Hungary (where he also suffered a last gasp engine failure in 2008; his nearly season). A decent career in the sport nonetheless; 27th in the all time list of race winners.

13 minutes ago, David W said:

Although the time is right as he's struggled all season, it's still a shame to see Felipe Massa announce his retirement today.

One of the good guys and that was maybe his problem. He was, of course, subject to one of the most heartbreaking sporting defeats ever and suffered that terrible injury in Hungary (where he also suffered a last gasp engine failure in 2008; his nearly season). A decent career in the sport nonetheless; 27th in the all time list of race winners.

Was surprised to read he has only won 11 races. For someone who spent 8 years at Ferrari, all be it as number 2, and came within a point of being world champion, thats a pretty poor return. It puts him behind other journeymen like Coulthard (13 wins) and level with Barrichello (11 wins).

Alonso only won 11 races at Ferrari in five years. Raikonnen 9 in 6 years. I don't think his record there is bad at all.

I don't think anyone would want to elevate him any higher than a Coulthard but there's also plenty of famous names behind him on the list.

Massa's career at Ferrari can pretty much be split into two - pre-accident and post-accident. All 11 wins came in the three seasons before the accident so that's a decent return - especially as one year he was team-mate to Schumacher and the next to Raikkonen, who won the championship. His results after the accident were pretty poor. I'm not saying it was all down to that BTW - poor cars and the "Fernando is faster than you" incident played a bigger role. He was lucky to hang around there as long as he did.

It's been nice seeing him having a wee resurgence at Williams, a bit like Rubens did at Brawns - dying man seeing one last sun rise sort of stuff. The stuff about him being magnanimous in 2008 is amusing - he was after Brazil but even now he keeps ranting about Singapore, which should apparently be null and void because of the race fixing. I think the most likely outcome would be the cheating team being disqualified, thus giving Hamilton the win and even more points!

He was unlucky that year though, between the last few seconds in Brazil and the engine blowing up a few laps from the end in Hungary. That was a guaranteed 10 points gone and would have been more than enough to see him over the line. Having said that, there were also some ridiculous stewarding decisions against Hamilton - Spa in particular.

The surprise of qualie Esteban Gutiérrez making Q3. Starting to warm to this driver, didn't rate him at Sauber far too quiet and you only noticed him when he got involved in a couple of Maldonaldo's 'events'. Thought he was gone from F1 after that season. He seems highly rated and highly rated by Ferrari and he has just got better and better this season, quietly getting on with it and beating Grosjean who everyone knows is quick.

If anyone of the top of their heads ran off all the current drivers he would probably be the last to remember, if you asked who's car Alonso ran into at Melbourne might jog the mind. Still to score his first points for Haas, Monza the best place for that.

Can't see Button returning to F1 in 2018 somehow.

He'd be 37-38. Highly unlikely it would be with McLaren unless Vandoorne has a nightmare.

Could come back for a final season with a smaller team but he's in the "car must be competitive" camp so not seeing that either.

47 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

I've never heard him expressing an interest on American racing so either sports cars. ..yawn....or media work.

Doubt we'll see him in WEC, he'll be under contract with Honda as much as McLaren and they wouldn't want him in another cars colours or face advertising a competing manufacturer, so that I imagine would prevent him racing for the Toyota, Porsche or Audi's.  He may go for Rebellion racing or another privater but they have realistically have no chance of winning LeMans.  He may do some racing in Japan in the Super Formula or Super GT but doubtful. 

I think this may be him done unless Vandoorne sucks or Alonso walks at the end of the year.

12 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Can't see Button returning to F1 in 2018 somehow.

Neither can I. The comparison with Prost in 1991 is being made, however he got booted out and couldn't find another seat for 1992 - he decided against Ligier at the last minute. Similarly, Villeneuve's sabbatical wasn't by choice either as he got sacked by BAR and came back towards the end of 2004.

When a driver chooses to drop out - such as Hakkinen in 2001 - they rarely come back.

11 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

I was channel hopping and distracted earlier and only caught part of this. Can't remember if it was CH4 or Sky.

Channel 4. Part of stuff about Verstappen.

Archived