F1 2016

kerrdavidson95

It was bloody Pitbull the year I went...

Same year as me,stayed in the hyatt downtown(late booking) Caterham and Lotus were in my hotel,bloody Charles Pic stole my toast at breakfast :thumbsdown

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all the things that is broken with F1, qualifying was not on that list.  This was embarrassing for a sport that prides itself as the pinnacle of motorracing.

Last years format was fine and fit for purpose, why did it need changing?

Came on to post the same, there was very little wrong with the previous system. It was obvious this morning that Ferrari decided 3rd was as good as it was going to get so they decided to save the tyres for the race. Red Bull certainly got caught out though.

From the BBC website

So that didn't work, then

Rosberg said straight after the session: "It's good to try something but it hasn't worked - so we should go back."

Ferrari's Vettel, who qualified third but was able to change out of his overalls in time for the post-qualifying news conference because he did not run in the second part of the final session, said: "I don't see why everyone is surprised it didn't work.

"It is a bit busier at the beginning of the session but for no reason. People want to see us pushing to the limit at the end of the session. It is the wrong way to go and that's what we said."

I've had to argue with people over the "F1 is boring" claim for years and it's a perception that rightfully increased due to Mercedes dominance. To then produce a qualifying format that comes up with a first session of the season like that is utterly insane. It's not even as if they can say the end justifies the means because we don't have a mixed up grid.

I think they're trying for an elimination style event like you have in cycling where the person at the back each lap is removed (unless you're the rider I saw at the veolodrome last year who just kept cycling round with the officials) but it ain't going to work in F1 and certainly not in qualifying.

Archived