Scotrail

ScottR96

I've missed it in the ongoing narrative but what are the contracted hours of drivers?

Also how the f**k does a 21st century company not have employees on 7 day contacts when they run a 7 day operation,  i thought this shit was fixed 50+ years ago!

5 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

No, it’s really not what’s happening. Essential workers- train drivers, are expected to work overtime to keep the country afloat, they disagree with their terms & conditions & rather than depriving the nation of a service, they have decided to only work to their contractual obligations. Nothing to see here. Tory 

The service has quite clearly been deprived, as anyone trying to get to their 12 hour shift at IRH can now testify (rendered impossible by train, indefinitely). Because drivers want £55k a year rather than £52k a year. 

I'm pretty confident I know which group in this case are the ones slyly voting for wee Dougie Ross and the gang. 

Just now, virginton said:

The service has quite clearly been deprived, as anyone trying to get to their 12 hour shift at IRH can now testify (rendered impossible by train, indefinitely). Because drivers want £55k a year rather than £52k a year. 

I'm pretty confident I know which group in this case are the ones slyly voting for wee Dougie Ross and the gang. 

Woah! I don’t think either side are, I’m saying you are a Tory. That’s all. 

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

Much better than essential workers not being able to get to their jobs, because train drivers are whining about getting £52k basic rather than £55k. 

That's what's really happening here. 

^^^Historian having a fit because he earns less than a train driver. 'That's what's really happening here.' :lol:

...going into a cabin, having been first trained to push a handful of buttons and the  keep doing that according to obvious cues day in, day out. 

Very good [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Woah! I don’t think either side are, I’m saying you are a Tory. That’s all. 

Nope, the only Tories here are going to be in that £50k+ bracket, quietly toasting their big mate Rishi after a hard day sitting in their cabin and pretending to be the next Engels. 

You can file much of the EIS' membership under the same bracket. 

Just now, virginton said:

Nope, the only Tories here are going to be in that £50k+ bracket, quietly toasting their big mate Rishi after a hard day sitting in their cabin and pretending to be the next Engels. 

You can file much of the EIS' membership under the same bracket. 

No, ffs, you’re not the intellectual person you think you are. 
Having a degree in whatever the f**k you studied, doesn’t make you the arbiter of all that is right & wrong in society. 
Earning over 50k a year doesn’t make you a Tory, cheerleading for punching down on workers exercising their right to withdraw labour, that’s what makes a person a Tory, I’m calling you a Tory. You’re jealous that you can’t have that influence & are gutted that people outwith academia have leverage. You are either agreeable to workforce fighting for their perceived rights, or not. The latter choice makes you a Tory. Soz

Some Googling suggests that the average salary of train drivers worldwide is about on par with what the drivers are paid here.  Apparently American train drives get paid a lot more, which is surprising as I didn't think that rail travel was particularly well used there but what do I know.  Americans do tend to get paid more - the average salary for my job is about 35% higher in the USA.

German train drivers don't tend to be paid as well as British or French train drivers.

15 minutes ago, virginton said:

Care home workers

Nurses

Special needs auxiliary staff

Social worker

Retail staff dealing with arsehole customers all day

We really could go on all day and still not find many occupations that are less demanding than going into a cabin, having been first trained to push a handful of buttons and the  keep doing that according to obvious cues day in, day out. 

Other than having to wipe the windscreens after another 'Cardonald special', tedium rather than stress is the likely the biggest issue with the role. 

You been pumped and dumped by a train driver lately or something? You seem very down on the profession other than just about the pay.

Tedium and monotony are quite possible, but that's when remaining switched on and focused is essential, losing concentration for only seconds could be costly, whether it's on the move or during station duties on a driver only service. That's why memory and concentration tests are a big part of the recruitment process, and which have very low pass rates due to their stringent nature. And when there's a fault on a train with a couple of hundred restless passengers on board that the driver needs to try and fix himself, or something goes wrong on the network or with infrastructure and they're dealing with the on track situation as well as fielding calls from the signaller and the control room at the same time, stress definitely comes into play.

But, aye, as you say it's basically just being paid to sit and look out the window all day...

1 minute ago, 'WellDel said:

You been pumped and dumped by a train driver lately or something? You seem very down on the profession other than just about the pay.

Tedium and monotony are quite possible, but that's when remaining switched on and focused is essential, losing concentration for only seconds could be costly, whether it's on the move or during station duties on a driver only service. That's why memory and concentration tests are a big part of the recruitment process, and which have very low pass rates due to their stringent nature. And when there's a fault on a train with a couple of hundred restless passengers on board that the driver needs to try and fix himself, or something goes wrong on the network or with infrastructure and they're dealing with the on track situation as well as fielding calls from the signaller and the control room at the same time, stress definitely comes into play.

But, aye, as you say it's basically just being paid to sit and look out the window all day...

In my role I don't look out the window in the morning, or I would have nothing to do in the afternoon.

11 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

No, ffs, you’re not the intellectual person you think you are. 
Having a degree in whatever the f**k you studied, doesn’t make you the arbiter of all that is right & wrong in society. 

I don't remember claiming to be "the arbiter of all that is right and wrong in society" - that's the Grants talking from you I'd wager - but it will certainly make for an excellent signature. 

Earning over 50k a year doesn’t make you a Tory, cheerleading for punching down on workers exercising their right to withdraw labour, that’s what makes a person a Tory, I’m calling you a Tory.

Unfortunately there's an entire field called 'political science' that confirms that you have it very much the wrong way round, in the UK, in 2021. Thanks for playing anyway. 

The only workers being punched down on here are the ordinary workers who can't get to their fucking jobs because a glorified trade guild wants more special protection for Reasons. 

You’re jealous that you can’t have that influence & are gutted that people outwith academia have leverage. You are either agreeable to workforce fighting for their perceived rights, or not. The latter choice makes you a Tory. Soz

A truly laughable political 'analysis', that all too clearly explains your old man yelling at a cloud rambling about 'academia'. 

Better luck next time. 

IMG-20220313-WA0007.jpg.7b39160b273080b4978804daff377016.jpg 

Edited by vikingTON

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

I don't remember claiming to be "the arbiter of all that is right and wrong in society" - that's the Grants talking from you I'd wager - but it will certainly make for an excellent signature. 

Unfortunately there's an entire field called 'political science' that confirms that you have it very much the wrong way round, in the UK, in 2021. Thanks for playing anyway. 

The only workers being punched down on here are the ordinary workers who can't get to their fucking jobs because a glorified trade guild wants more special protection for Reasons. 

A truly laughable political 'analysis', that all too clearly explains your old man yelling at a cloud rambling about 'academia'. 

Better luck next time. 

IMG-20220313-WA0007.jpg.7b39160b273080b4978804daff377016.jpg 

You are genuinely a Tory, your use of gifs, whilst amusing, doesn’t disguise the fact that you are punching down on people you see as below you. 
“Ordinary workers” as you term them are definitely suffering because of this, but train drivers are also ordinary workers. Strange you take the management side? Tory

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think we should just be delighted for people getting decent pay and start campaigning for bus drivers. Much better than whining about train drivers only getting a 6% cut in real wages.

Or alternatively now only an increase of 56% after inflation since 2001.  Such a hard done by profession.

As for stress, here is a quote from a driver -

"My main complicated decision I have to make every day is to whether to have a pain au raisin or pain au Chocolat with my coffee" (c) @Chicken Wing

Edited by strichener

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

As for stress, here is a quote from a driver -

"My main complicated decision I have to make every day is to whether to have a pain au raisin or pain au Chocolat with my coffee" (c) @Chicken Wing

As the airline pilot said to the nuclear power station operator.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Some Googling suggests that the average salary of train drivers worldwide is about on par with what the drivers are paid here.  Apparently American train drives get paid a lot more, which is surprising as I didn't think that rail travel was particularly well used there but what do I know.  Americans do tend to get paid more - the average salary for my job is about 35% higher in the USA.

German train drivers don't tend to be paid as well as British or French train drivers.

Lots of cargo rail, little passenger…Union jobs explains the pay.