Scotrail

ScottR96

6 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Working your contracted hours is holding the country to ransom, the absolute state of this c**t. Aim your anger at the leaders of Scotrail over the last few years not the drivers.

It certainly is when they were happily doing overtime before the pay negotiations and will happily go back to the overtime when they get what they want.

Only a moron can’t see or accept what’s happening here.

If Scotrail recruit more drivers to prevent this happening again the next whinge will be about the lack of overtime they used get.

Scotrail are also culpable here though.  They should never have been this reliant on overtime to run the service.

Scotgov are also culpable.  They should have ensured that Scotrail had enough drivers to run the service by making it part of the contract.

A cluster f**k all round that makes none of the parties involved look good.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Right up there with the Tory "Why don't poor people just work harder if they don't want to be so poor?"

To be fair, I know a lot of once poor people who bought into that mantra and seem to have done very well for themselves.

It certainly is when they were happily doing overtime before the pay negotiations and will happily go back to the overtime when they get what they want.
If Scotrail recruit more drivers to prevent this happening again the next whinge will be about the lack of overtime they used get.
Scotrail are also culpable here though.  They should never have been this reliant on overtime to run the service.
Scotgov are also culpable.  They should have ensured that Scotrail had enough drivers to run the service by making it part of the contract.
They stopped doing overtime which they're well within their rights to do, the fact the service can't run smoothly without people doing a ridiculous amount of overtime is solely Scotrails fault, FWIW I'm absolutely nothing to do with the rail industry but all the hate is being flung at exactly who the media want to demonize. The real c***s are the ones who have run the service into the ground over the last few years, not unions and not drivers.

3 minutes ago, Empty It said:
18 minutes ago, Left Back said:

They stopped doing overtime which they're well within their rights to do, the fact the service can't run smoothly without people doing a ridiculous amount of overtime is solely Scotrails fault, FWIW I'm absolutely nothing to do with the rail industry but all the hate is being flung at exactly who the media want to demonize. The real c***s are the ones who have run the service into the ground over the last few years, not unions and not drivers.

You’re still fundamentally missing the point.

They didn’t stop overtime because Scotrail are running the service into the ground.  They’ve stopped it to get a pay rise.  The unions have said they can go back to the normal timetable if Scotrail hand over the payrise.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I hope these well paid individuals pat themselves on the back and enjoy their pay rise and that it doesn't keep them awake at night worrying about which poor b*****d is going to be paying for it all.

Because someone is going to lose out to pay for this and as usual it'll be the people right at the bottom in things like reduced council services.

Council services won't be affected as the trains will be equipped to empty your bins.

14 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You’re still fundamentally missing the point.

They didn’t stop overtime because Scotrail are running the service into the ground.  They’ve stopped it to get a pay rise.  The unions have said they can go back to the normal timetable if Scotrail hand over the payrise.

The fault for this lies with those that haven't bothered their arse to ensure a public service can actually be run adequately without depending on overtime and goodwill. Imagine turning up for flight and being told it's cancelled because no-one is contracted to work Sundays and they couldn't find a pilot willing to work on their day off. 

Scotrail employees basically have the perfect weapon, here. They aren't happy about something, they don't do overtime and the timetable falls to pieces. Unlike a classic strike, there's no hit to their basic pay whilst they do it. 

21 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I hope these well paid individuals pat themselves on the back and enjoy their pay rise and that it doesn't keep them awake at night worrying about which poor b*****d is going to be paying for it all.

Because someone is going to lose out to pay for this and as usual it'll be the people right at the bottom in things like reduced council services.

Scotrail should put their prices up. It's their mess. Their customers should foot the bill. 

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

If they could quickly agree that deal then have the normal timetable reinstated for next week that would be smashing, thanks.

I'm sure that you can appreciate the irony dripping off your request for a company to run a competent public transport service. 

Edited by vikingTON

36 minutes ago, Empty It said:
50 minutes ago, Left Back said:

The real c***s are the ones who have run the service into the ground over the last few years, not unions and not drivers.

The unions were complicit in running the service into the ground, and they raised not a single peep about the lack of drivers.

Public transport workers should be converted into civil servants and as part of that protection should have their right to strike scrapped. 

1 hour ago, Glen Sannox said:

4.2% until the next time they feel like holding the country to ransom. This lunacy needs dealt with, but I’ll not hold my breath. 
I used to work on the railways and I would imagine this will come as no surprise that the RMT rep and his wee gang of cronies were the laziest trouble makers in the job.

Utter scumbags.

I would imagine all the sympathy they are getting on here is because they are not toarees.

1. Not working overtime isn't holding the country to ransom

2. Maybe ScotRail shouldn't be so chronically understaffed that one union not working overtime stops 1/3rd of the rail services in the country

14 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

1. Not working overtime isn't holding the country to ransom

2. Maybe ScotRail shouldn't be so chronically understaffed that one union not working overtime stops 1/3rd of the rail services in the country

Here was me thinking that drivers weren't working overtime and that the union had absolutely nothing to do with it. 

Here was me thinking that drivers weren't working overtime and that the union had absolutely nothing to do with it. 
I think everyone is well aware the drivers are deliberately not doing overtime due to the pay dispute, which they are well within their right to do. If I thought I was being shafted by my company I'd also not do any overtime as is my right.

One for the Quick Question Thread really, but more likely to get an answer here:

I'm getting an LNER down to England from Aberdeen; do I need to wait until Berwick to crack open the (by then warm) drinks, or is it an 'English' law train that allows a drink at any point?

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

One for the Quick Question Thread really, but more likely to get an answer here:

I'm getting an LNER down to England from Aberdeen; do I need to wait until Berwick to crack open the (by then warm) drinks, or is it an 'English' law train that allows a drink at any point?

I drank openly on LNER from Haymarket to Inverness the other week without consequence. Pretty sure it's English rules.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Ban is only on Scotrail.