Scotrail

ScottR96

8 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm content with my current wages and have never asked for a wage rise in my life.

You're a smart guy, and pretty well travelled from what I gather on here. I'm going to assume you know just how lucky a position the above puts you in? 

1 hour ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Just to give a bit of context, thats not the crux of the matter, the Scottish Government have essentially said ‘you’ll get the same as every other public sector’ but at the same time fail to recognise that they dont have the same rights as other public sector workers, so the police federation have gone in with a lower request than pretty much every other union or labour organisation (their starting position was less than what the train drivers accepted).

They have no industrial rights and have asked for limited industrial rights, 35 hour week (its 40 just now with no guarantee of any breaks) and pay commensurate with the restrictions faced on their private lives, like many having 25% of their days off cancelled for court or events and no ability to get their days owed back. Basically they are arguing that its time they were treated like every other public sector agency if they are being offered pay and pensions like every other public sector agency. 

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Can't speak for anyone else but when I used to be an employee many years ago, I used to ask for a pay-rise and if it was rejected I'd find a new job and get it that way. What I did NOT do was coerce my fellow colleagues to demand the same amount and to down tools if they didn't get it. Neither did I ask or expect others to fight my battles for me (the unions). I fought my own battles. As an adult should. It's not 1970 any more. We're not fighting for basic working rights now.

Thatcher's deid m8

I'm sure that all of you on here who are praising these strikes from people who are already predominantly on over £40 to £50k will be happy to pay more in tax and/or prices to cover the increases. Fair play to you.

Yeah the folk you've cherry picked will be paying significantly more tax so it's fair to say they 'pay their way' on that front as well.

Can't speak for anyone else but when I used to be an employee many years ago, I used to ask for a pay-rise and if it was rejected I'd find a new job and get it that way. What I did NOT do was coerce my fellow colleagues to demand the same amount and to down tools if they didn't get it. Neither did I ask or expect others to fight my battles for me (the unions). I fought my own battles. As an adult should. It's not 1970 any more. We're not fighting for basic working rights now.

I was going to respond to this but Bairnardo has summed it up perfectly.

You're a smart guy, and pretty well travelled from what I gather on here. I'm going to assume you know just how lucky a position the above puts you in? 
In some respects I do, but my exact job has been advertised for months now with no applicants and other branches have multiple openings they are struggling to fill. In the past we've hired folk straight out of school so pretty much anyone reading this can put themselves in my shoes.

There is a decent chunk of society with physical and mental impairments or addictions, et cetera who of course should be treated better than they currently are, but they tend not to be public sector workers.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

In some respects I do, but my exact job has been advertised for months now with no applicants and other branches have multiple openings they are struggling to fill. In the past we've hired folk straight out of school so pretty much anyone reading this can put themselves in my shoes.

There is a decent chunk of society with physical and mental impairments or addictions, et cetera who of course should be treated better than they currently are, but they tend not to be public sector workers.

I remember you saying before that you were saving a 5 figure sum annually out of a cleaner's wages, and explained it by saying that your living costs were low and you're helped by some successful investments. That won't apply for most people.

I remember you saying before that you were saving a 5 figure sum annually out of a cleaner's wages, and explained it by saying that your living costs were low and you're helped by some successful investments. That won't apply for most people.
Even without the investments I could just about put that aside if I cut out things like football and holidays. As I say, the job is being advertised, anyone can PM me for more info if they're interested.

Every job I've ever had has been entry level, never more than £1ph over minimum wage, I've never been promoted and my top qualification is an HNC. Of course there have been various sacrifices made but anyone reading this born at roughly the same time who wanted to could have led my life, not that I'd really recommend it.

Anyway, back to trains being shite.

12 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Even without the investments I could just about put that aside if I cut out things like football and holidays. As I say, the job is being advertised, anyone can PM me for more info if they're interested.

Every job I've ever had has been entry level, never more than £1ph over minimum wage, I've never been promoted and my top qualification is an HNC. Of course there have been various sacrifices made but anyone reading this born at roughly the same time who wanted to could have led my life, not that I'd really recommend it.

Anyway, back to trains being shite.

Well done you.

What, I think you are saying, is that it’s not just net earnings which are important but also the other  side of the equation, namely Expenditure. Some people I have known over the years have been perpetually broke no matter how much they have earned. It’s what you do with your earnings that counts and obviously you have been smart in that department.

I just wish we could teach youngsters more about the stewardship of money and resources. 
You’ve made a great point.

What's the cut off where folk are allowed to ask for a wage increase?

We've established that those on £40k a year aren't allowed any more, so where is the limit? Is it £30k? Are they allowed to ask to be paid more? 

P.S. Saying that being in a union makes you some sort of snivelling, immature coward is amusing, and that only those who are hard, cool adults should (individually) negotiate conditions and wages on an individual basis is quite the laugh (and very, very Tory).

Even the fucking apes from Planet of the Apes realised that working together is better for them ("Apes together strong!). 

It’s what you do with your earnings that counts and obviously you have been smart in that department.

I actually spent a long time being pretty idiotic with my spending but I never had things like cars, houses or other loans which would need to be paid off, so I could always drastically cut my cloth off necessary.

I could have done with some financial education in my younger years but to be honest it probably wouldn't have made much of an impact on my behaviour, I likely would have been a stupid wee boy regardless.

I just wish we could teach youngsters more about the stewardship of money and resources. 

I don't know where it would fit in in the curriculum but I'd certainly be all for it. It's not just young folk who are shit with money. I have relatives and work colleagues well older than me who just can't seem to live within their means. Fair play to anyone who spends what they don't have on a regular basis. I'm too much of a shitebag for that.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

If folk are spending at their limit on forty grand a year then I doubt chucking an extra 10% their way is going to inject them with financial prudence.

Rewarding people with a pay rise because they didn't save for a rainy day and don't want to trade in their Audi for a hatchback is sheer folly.

I'm content with my current wages and have never asked for a wage rise in my life.

Why is it assumed that folk earning more but living to their means lacks financial prudence? Surely that is the domain of living beyond it?

You earn more money, so can afford to move to a bigger house, buy a nicer car or whatever. This in turn creates an opening for someone else to buy your old property and get on the housing ladder, maybe someone to upgrade their old banger to the semi decent model you traded in and so on? It's certainly how my path has gone and is surely pretty much fundamental to how society and these things work. I've always made sure that everything I do is within my means, which by fortune for me has increased over time. I only have possessions that I can comfortably afford, and a little savings incase anything unexpected should happen. Doesn't mean I or anyone else isn't entitled to fight for or expect a raise to keep somewhere close to the change in the cost of living. Why should you willingly stand back and let your money become worth less over time for doing the same job?

I'm glad you're happy with your own situation and not asking for a raise is entirely your right, I'm not entirely sure you're in the majority though, and the arguments of some on here along the "but they already earn £X amount" are a bit simplistic to say the least.

Why is it assumed that folk earning more but living to their means lacks financial prudence? Surely that is the domain of living beyond it?
You earn more money, so can afford to move to a bigger house, buy a nicer car or whatever. This in turn creates an opening for someone else to buy your old property and get on the housing ladder, maybe someone to upgrade their old banger to the semi decent model you traded in and so on? It's certainly how my path has gone and is surely pretty much fundamental to how society and these things work. I've always made sure that everything I do is within my means, which by fortune for me has increased over time. I only have possessions that I can comfortably afford, and a little savings incase anything unexpected should happen. Doesn't mean I or anyone else isn't entitled to fight for or expect a raise to keep somewhere close to the change in the cost of living. Why should you willingly stand back and let your money become worth less over time for doing the same job?
I'm glad you're happy with your own situation and not asking for a raise is entirely your right, I'm not entirely sure you're in the majority though, and the arguments of some on here along the "but they already earn £X amount" are a bit simplistic to say the least.
I'm not at all against teachers and binmen asking for raises. I've been a teacher myself so have sympathies.

I wouldn't class someone earning well above median wage without any savings to get them through tough times to be financially prudent.