Birds!

Got woken up at 1am this morning by an owl calling nearby. Normally I'd be hacked off at being woken up in the middle of the night but owls are tremendous. Alas, was too dark to see it in the trees.

Got woken up at 1am this morning by an owl calling nearby. Normally I'd be hacked off at being woken up in the middle of the night but owls are tremendous. Alas, was too dark to see it in the trees.

We've got a wee tawny owl in the woods behind the house. I'd heard it loads of times, but hadn't seen it until last year when I was coming home just as it was getting dark and the thing came flying down the driveway just as i was turning to walk into it.

Missed me by about a foot - dunno who shat themselves more, me or the owl.

That's a great photo. I'm lead to believe the Grey Partridge is fairly uncommon so that's a good spot. I've never seen one before.

Grey partridges used to be very common but changes to farming practices have seen their numbers plummet.

In the 80's I used to see them in the fields around my home all the time but it must be a decade since I last saw one. Its a sad story for our farmland birds. Yellowhammer's are the same, I don't know when i last saw one of them.

Always have trouble getting a pair of tits on my fat balls in the garden!😕

Seriously though, seen a lone White Tailed Sea Eagle soaring off the Antrim Coast a few weeks back, magnificent bird, huge wingspan. Apparently there's a growing number of them to be seen on Skye and Mull.

Grey partridges used to be very common but changes to farming practices have seen their numbers plummet.

In the 80's I used to see them in the fields around my home all the time but it must be a decade since I last saw one. Its a sad story for our farmland birds. Yellowhammer's are the same, I don't know when i last saw one of them.

I saw a yellowhammer last year, managed to get a photo.

Hopefully birds like these can make a comeback. Farmers changing their practises is doing wonders for Corncrakes on the islands.

post-19616-14592117878225_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Went for a walk today up the Lomond Hills. There's robin that hangs about the picnic benches, pretty sure it's the same one from last year when I was up there.

Tamest bird I've seen for ages, nearly had it on my hand. Some boi.

Went for a walk today up the Lomond Hills. There's robin that hangs about the picnic benches, pretty sure it's the same one from last year when I was up there.

Tamest bird I've seen for ages, nearly had it on my hand. Some boi.

You are fooling no one.

Saw a dozen or so lapwings between Glenlivet and Tomintoul (around the Scalan) last weekend. They seemed pretty cool.

lapwing1b-L.Campbell-a.jpg

That and about a million grouse up the Ladder Hills. Must have got within a metre of some of them before they officially shat it and flew off.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Saw a dozen or so lapwings between Glenlivet and Tomintoul (around the Scalan) last weekend. They seemed pretty cool.

lapwing1b-L.Campbell-a.jpg

That and about a million grouse up the Ladder Hills. Must have got within a metre of some of them before they officially shat it and flew off.

Lapwings are brilliant. A few nest in the field opposite my house and it's fun watching them try to scare things away from their nests.

Very acrobatic flyers.

Lapwings are brilliant. A few nest in the field opposite my house and it's fun watching them try to scare things away from their nests.

Very acrobatic flyers.

Great call as well. I was watching a few of them the other week whilst working. Sometimes my job irritates me other times it's quite cool - getting paid to watch birds. Can't complain too much there.