Birds!

Crows are very intelligent, I think I have heard that they are the only birds that can count.

Rachel Riley's not too bad at it tbf.

I quite like how Magpies have been known to hold funerals though. Not like digging graves or making bonfires, but more like mourning gatherings of Magpies around dead ones. I think the crow family are one of very, very few groups who can see their reflection and recognise it as themselves. Unlike dogs (and cats) of course.

I like woodpeckers. Saw one in the back garden a couple of years ago. They're evidently quite common but I'd never seen one before. They are black, white and red and quite striking.

We have a wee Robin that hangs around. Also the usual selection of crows, seagulls, blackbirds, starlings, magpies, wood pigeons, sparrows, blue tits and the likes.

Edited by Scary Bear

After years of living in flats, we moved out to a place in the 'burbs with a pretty big garden backing onto woodland that's got a couple of ponds in it, as a result we get a lot of things now and again that aren't normally garden birds; herons, woodcock, mallard, grey wagtail etc. There's a tawny owl in there too, but I've only seen it once when it came flying down our driveway just as I was turning to walk up it - dunno who got the biggest fright.

Every hard winter we seem to get these guys paying a visit to ransack the berry bushes too - waxwings, which somehow look too exotic to be hanging about a garden in Scotland...

6941717703_f34e404c73_b.jpg

I can't be bothered with most birds.

I remember being young and sitting watching TV. Wildlife on One would come on and you'd wonder what it would be about. Will we be seeing big cats? Bears maybe? Crocodiles? The programme would be about migrating birds. Remote control would be swiftly employed.

That said, some birds I quite like:

Seagulls. The big ones with yellow beaks and puffed out proud white chests. I like them for 2 reasons. Firstly, they strut around looking like they don't give a f-ck, and their plumage always looks clean and grand. Secondly, most people seem to get annoyed by them. Anything that annoys most of the whinging cry-babies that appear to constitute an increasing proportion of our populace is A Good Thing.

97677-think-pink-seagulls-are-changing-t

Ravens & Crows. Also because of the way they strut and hop about.

article-2259232-16A1EDFC000005DC-642_634

american_crow_8.jpg

Seagulls. The big ones with yellow beaks and puffed out proud white chests. I like them for 2 reasons. Firstly, they strut around looking like they don't give a f-ck, and their plumage always looks clean and grand. Secondly, most people seem to get annoyed by them. Anything that annoys most of the whinging cry-babies that appear to constitute an increasing proportion of our populace is A Good Thing.

You refer to the Herring Gull.

Aberdeen has been overpopulated by these f***ers which must have been genetically modified to the size of small labradors in the city centre. The things are a genuine menace, one attacking me in the street and stealing half a tuna sandwich once. The seethe is entirely justified.

That said, on the plumage part, they do have a nice trend of leaving a single feather waving proud after being flattened by a lorry. A thing of natural beauty.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Another word in praise of crows. I live in the countryside and the roads are carpeted with roadkill of various species. But rarely a crow. These guys will sit pecking at their dinner of pheasant, deer or hedgehog, timing their departure perfectly as you hurtle toward them. And our Scottish vultures do a good job clearing up the mess of dead, less intelligent creatures. Thanks, pals.

You refer to the Herring Gull.

Aberdeen has been overpopulated by these f***ers which must have been genetically modified to the size of small labradors in the city centre. The things are a genuine menace, one attacking me in the street and stealing half a tuna sandwich once. The seethe is entirely justified.

That said, on the plumage part, they do have a nice trend of leaving a single feather waving proud after being flattened by a lorry. A thing of natural beauty.

Well to be fair, two things occur.

1) you got pwned by bird.

2) you shouldn't be eating tuna sandwiches. They're bogging.

LOVE:

Ravens, used to see a lot of them in Thurso when I was a lad

Crows, similarly.

Rooks, see above

Speugs, love seeing the huge crowds of them in flight at twilight

Lorikeets. I had one groom me (no, not like that) and sit on my shoulder (pirate style) when I was at Nashville Zoo

HATE:

Ducks, rapists!

Scorries, do I need a reason? (mind you, night fishing off the pier at Scrabster I caught one once!)

Pigeons, sky rats

Budgies, why do they exist?

Curlews, noisy b*****ds

EAT:

Duck

Grouse

Pheasant

Turkey

Quail

Crows are very intelligent, I think I have heard that they are the only birds that can count.

They're also the only bird that knows how traffic lights work...

Crows are vermin and should be shot on sight. I used to work on a farm and I've seen crows peck out the eyes of sheep and kill lambs.

Well I for one welcome our new corvine overlords.