Bread with soup - toasted or untoasted

DA Baracus

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes it outside? Do you take it outside to cut it? Or would your logic actually lead to it being called an "ender"

Either way, it's a heel.

It's on the outside edges of the loaf you utter beast!

I recently had soup in a Byres Road cafe and it came with a scone!!!! If hadn't been such a pussy about complaining I would have told them they'd brought my pudding out too early. But I persevered and you know what it worked. It was a savoury job with bits of red pepper in it. I'm already saving up to go back.

I've tried it with toast before, but it's all wrong. So so wrong.

You're already a lost cause.

Unbuttered bread or buttered toast. Anything else is complete madness.

Scum. Sub-human scum.

Having dealt with the soup situation... where the f**k does 'bread coat slices' come from? Both outsiders and heels make sense, they're merely regional variations which are both entirely understandable, although saying 'heelies' rather than heels is a clear sign you have the same mental age as someone who calls tomato soup 'tommy soup'. Where the f**k do you get bread coat slices from?

I'm trying to lower myself to a mental age of 3 (beastly I know, but it's in the name of science) and imagine how a toddler might come up with that name. Are you saying the loaf is wearing a coat and removing the outsider/heel/end bit is removing the coat? That's the only warped logic I can find other than just picking a name at random for no reason whatsoever. Absolutely despicable behaviour and you should be ashamed of yourself.

'Bread coat' must be a sick wind up. Absolutely no one has ever seriously called the end bit a 'bread coat'. I've just done a Google search of 'Bread coat' and there is no mention of it being used to describe the end bit.

Incidentally, I think 'heelie' is a bit of a shit term as well, but can at least understand it.

It's on the outside edges of the loaf you utter beast!

So are there 6 "outsiders"? Or do you really mean crust there? In which case your "outsider" definition is horseshit, and are we back to where we were with what would be more justifiable calling it an "ender" seeing as it's at the two ends and not the 6 outside edges?

What's another word for something that's at the "end" of something? Let's consult the Dictionary:

heel noun [C] (END PART)

› the end ​part of something, ​especially of a ​loaf of ​bread, that is usually ​left after the ​rest has been ​eaten or used

To cut it? What a happy day it'll be when sliced bread arrives in Teuchter-town. The whole of Dingwall will be 'outside' to marvel at this innovation.

I've never seen pre-sliced crusty bread. even when I lived in Glasgow. Is this a new thing?

So are there 6 "outsiders"? Or do you really mean crust there? In which case your "outsider" definition is horseshit, and are we back to where we were with what would be more justifiable calling it an "ender" seeing as it's at the two ends and not the 6 outside edges?

What's another word for something that's at the "end" of something? Let's consult the Dictionary:

I shall consult my dictionary:

SPAIN: noun

Country in Western Europe

Beastly poster on Pie and Bovril

I've never seen pre-sliced crusty bread. even when I lived in Glasgow. Is this a new thing?

The sliced crusty bread is next to the unsliced crusty bread in the supermarket.

I don't see the point in it. Unsliced all the way unless you don't own a bread knife.

'Bread coat' must be a sick wind up. Absolutely no one has ever seriously called the end bit a 'bread coat'. I've just done a Google search of 'Bread coat' and there is no mention of it being used to describe the end bit.

Incidentally, I think 'heelie' is a bit of a shit term as well, but can at least understand it.

After learning that someone seriously calls French Toast 'eggy dip dip', I can't take any food names posted on here as a wind-up any more.

Eggy dip dip is unacceptable. Whoever said that is undoubtedly some sort of pervert.

However the correct name for square sausage is Lorne and the correct abbreviation for a chip shop is a chipper.

Edit - and the last slice of loaf is the heel. I've never heard it called anything else.

Eggy dip dip is unacceptable. Whoever said that is undoubtedly some sort of pervert.

However the correct name for square sausage is Lorne and the correct abbreviation for a chip shop is a chipper.

Edit - and the last slice of loaf is the heel. I've never heard it called anything else.

I agree with sliced bread on all points.

Unbuttered bread or buttered toast. Anything else is complete madness.

You're at it.

I don't care enough to get riled either way about the other two, but any time I've heard someone say chipper, they've sounded daft.

Wrong; wrong; wrong. Distilled fail.

Archived