General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Farron claiming he can't be leader of a political party and be a Christian. Pretty much sounding like he's admitting he does think gay sex is sinful.

Queens Speech has been delayed whilst DUP get their 11th MP.

4 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Farron claiming he can't be leader of a political party and be a Christian. Pretty much sounding like he's admitting he does think gay sex is sinful.

Nowt wrong with that on it's own but it's not handy if you're the leader of the Liberal Democrats.

Jo Swinson v Vince Cable seems to be the talk at the moment.

Jo Swinson seems the better choice. Although she was a minister in the government she didn't seem as involved as Cable, she would seem like a fresher start for the party, a break from the old guard, and I think she's a good communicator.

mmmm rumblings of a deal with the tories,probably shite

I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't talks at some level. The Tories might find the DUP a practical and political nightmare to work with.

There may even be talks with Labour MPs on certain matters.

3 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't talks at some level. The Tories might find the DUP a practical and political nightmare to work with.

There may even be talks with Labour MPs on certain matters.

Now hearing it was a coup and he resigned

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

No surprise, the Lib Dems had a disaster. Considering the vacuum in the centre ground their performance was absolutely woeful. His reticence to come up with a good answer to the gay marriage issue stopped his campaign from getting any sort of momentum and from then on they were a total irrelevance.

People aren't willing to trust the Lib Dems again after they sold out thier policies for a small sniff of power a few years back. I don't blame them, I was stupid enough to vote for them at the time. 

She was probably trying to get through the election before dealing with it (when presumably she'll have more time).

Who knows. Could be really, really struggling and therefore her treatment in the media in recent weeks would be shameful. Or an easy excuse for someone not coping with the pressure.

Folk will no doubt make absolute judgments cos by and large - people are c***s.

Type 2 diabetes apparently.

I fully expected the Lib Dems to make significant gains in the GE just gone by, but their campaign was quite flat and the whole gay marriage issue just ruined it for him.

If I was a betting man then I'd fancy Jo Swinson to get the job. 

Edited by zidane's child

Surely it is a shoe in for Allistair "the Liar" Carmichael-forgiven by his electorate with a thumping majority? Tim Farron at least stuck to his EU principles but it did the Liberals no real good. If Ruth Davidson is commanding a group in parliament seeking an open Brexit she is not too far away from the Liberals? She should also keep her nose as a "Protestant Unionist marrying an Irish catholic" out of what British unionists do in devolved matters in NI. How would she like it if NI politicians decided to influence our devolved decisions?  She is of course quite good at facing in two different directions at the same time.