General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, Wee Willie said:

That's what I'm thinking.
In the blast zone I posted Perthshire was okay.
I wonder if Angus kens something that I dinnae ken.
Or mibbe he's telling porkies?

He's just copy and pasted from a facebook page without checking because he's a fud.

6 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Back off punishing our older folk (who didn't vote for em in numbers) by raising the age entitlement for a free bus pass perhaps?

The free bus pass at 60 is a bit of an anomoly tbh.  I got mine a couple of years ago and my wife gets hers this year but there's an argument that neither of us should be getting subsidised transport at our age(s).

The free bus pass at 60 is a bit of an anomoly tbh.  I got mine a couple of years ago and my wife gets hers this year but there's an argument that neither of us should be getting subsidised transport at our age(s).

Sorry, it was a poor tongue in cheek effort GD, just on the basis that older voters are generally thought to have been pro-Union on these pages.

5 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Sorry, it was a poor tongue in cheek effort GD, just on the basis that older voters are generally thought to have been pro-Union on these pages.

Fair enough.  There is overwhelming evidence that older voters voted NO by a significant margin.  I can understand the frustration of younger voters to this and to the perceived selfishness of the older voters' position.

FYIY some of the YES voters may adopt a similar position as they get older.  It may be a generalisation but I think older folk are a bit more wary and cautious, and, arguably, more easily frightened by change.  That said I think that if it's another 20 years before a further Independence referendum the over 60 vote will look very different to what it did in 2014.

9 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

OAP's bore the brunt of much criticism, for being the generation that voted No from many supporters of independence, including P&B contributors.

( I don't think they meant you Willie)

thhttps://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/20/scottish-independence-lord-ashcroft-poll   

That's because they did vote no.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Fair enough.  There is overwhelming evidence that older voters voted NO by a significant margin.  I can understand the frustration of younger voters to this and to the perceived selfishness of the older voters' position.

FYIY some of the YES voters may adopt a similar position as they get older.  It may be a generalisation but I think older folk are a bit more wary and cautious, and, arguably, more easily frightened by change.  That said I think that if it's another 20 years before a further Independence referendum the over 60 vote will look very different to what it did in 2014.

I'd say it's an absolute certainty that a fair few current young Yes voters would move to No if the next vote isnt for a while. No is the conservative option and as you say, people's politics change over time.

The current generation of old people are 80%+ No though and that simply won't be the case in the future. If I was a Unionist, I'd probably want another indyref asap. 

I think it was more than fear of change that made old people vote no, otherwise they wouldn't have voted Leave which in my mind is a far bigger risk. My mother voted no because of memories of sticking together in WW2 and stuff like that. That won't be factor in the near future.

P.S. She also voted Remain for similar reasons, peace in our time and all that.

Edited by welshbairn