General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Surprised that more than 1 In 10 of their supporters voted No though!?

Not really. Will be plenty of unionists who vote snp simply because they know that none of the unionist parties between them could be trusted to run a bath let alone a parliament. It's entirely pragmatic to vote for the only party that can govern competently even if you disagree with one or more of their policies. In fact it's borderline lunacy to vote for any parties who are in utter disarray simply because you don't like the most competent one based on ingrained religious or social bigotry. The equivalent of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Bit of a strange stooshie as Ewan McGregor refuses to appear on Good Morning Britain (for an interview about Trainspotting) based on Piers Morgan's comments on the women's march from a few days ago. Morgan is now hounding him down based on glowing comments McGregor has made about Roman Polanski, a convicted paedophile. It's all went into the gutter very quickly. 

Regardless of the rights & wrongs (which I couldn't care less about) I firstly find it a bit concerning that we're now seeing people refuse to be interviewed based on the political views of their interviewer, especially when it's not a political interview, but perhaps more pressingly the current trend of 'celebrity' intervention in politics is something that completely bemuses me. Entitled to their own opinions like anyone else of course, but I'm not sure why so many are currently feeling the need to be seen to make constant statements. 

Bit of a strange stooshie as Ewan McGregor refuses to appear on Good Morning Britain (for an interview about Trainspotting) based on Piers Morgan's comments on the women's march from a few days ago. Morgan is now hounding him down based on glowing comments McGregor has made about Roman Polanski, a convicted paedophile. It's all went into the gutter very quickly. 
Regardless of the rights & wrongs (which I couldn't care less about) I firstly find it a bit concerning that we're now seeing people refuse to be interviewed based on the political views of their interviewer, especially when it's not a political interview, but perhaps more pressingly the current trend of 'celebrity' intervention in politics is something that completely bemuses me. Entitled to their own opinions like anyone else of course, but I'm not sure why so many are currently feeling the need to be seen to make constant statements. 

I mean, I think Piers Morgan throwing a total tantrum about it is a tad more embarrassing.

Did the SNP not say that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity?

Theyve had their chance, unfortunately there is no alternative to them as Labour died so we have a pointless political setup in Scotland. I suppose it does fight back against the Tories but that's all you can say for a very expensive but ultimately powerless setup.

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Theyve had their chance, unfortunately there is no alternative to them as Labour died so we have a pointless political setup in Scotland. I suppose it does fight back against the Tories but that's all you can say for a very expensive but ultimately powerless setup.

I think Alex Salmond said it. Seems to have been quoted a lot, especially by people who normally say the SNP don't speak for them or Scotland.

It's not about the SNP, Salmond or Sturgeon. There will be another referendum whether it's in 18 months, 5 years or 10. 

The goalposts have changed since the Brexit vote, shit is going to hit the fan one way or another.

8 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Only one way to change that, also only one way to get rid of the Tories for......eh forever.

9 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Surprised that more than 1 In 10 of their supporters voted No though!?

Possibly ex Labour members that are happy enough with the job the SNP are doing for Scotland but they don't Independence? 

Wasn't there a similar % of UKIP voters that voted remain? Which is more bizarre.

I voted Yes but I wouldn't have expected that. Do you think SNP are also pushing it for their own interests also? The longer we stay part of the UK the less relevant they become imo. It all depends on the trade deals once Brexit is sorted, not convinced leaving the EU is necessarily a disaster.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

I voted Yes but I wouldn't have expected that. Do you think SNP are also pushing it for their own interests also? The longer we stay part of the UK the less relevant they become imo. It all depends on the trade deals once Brexit is sorted, not convinced leaving the EU is necessarily a disaster.

I think it's the other way round, just like Brexit and UKIP the only way to diminish the SNP is to vote yes, something SNP hating no voters never understood. Since the last referendum SNP membership has increased ten fold and any semi competent opposition has been eliminated.

10 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

No, Alex Salmond once gave that as his opinion, if it helps.

Edited by Baxter Parp

We've been in the UK for 300 years and snp has literally never been more popular. They even increased their vote in the holyrood election by 250k. The idea that staying in the UK makes them less relevant is utter nonsense. Irony being that when Scotland does become independent the snp will lose a large number of voters and members.