General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

4 minutes ago, Dave and Anna Snow said:

I've put it on.  ( Why isn't SKY NEWS available in HD?) 

I've got Boris at 10/1 to resign this year.   I think we're needed a wee bit more drip-fed from Cummings but its still possible. 

When did you put that on? Good luck but I think it will be difficult with everything closing down for Christmas.

Would they pay out if he says "I intend to resign" this year, or only when he formally goes to the palace to resign? Because surely he would wait until a new leader emerged/was elected so would be Prime Minister for a few weeks or months, at least, even if he does say he's standing down?

19 minutes ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

Would they pay out if he says "I intend to resign" this year, or only when he formally goes to the palace to resign? Because surely he would wait until a new leader emerged/was elected so would be Prime Minister for a few weeks or months, at least, even if he does say he's standing down?

Yeah, the precise wording of the bet will probably rule it out in the time frame.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm getting a bit fed up of them talking about Tory sleaze. It's a tabloid word that's become so vague it's meaningless. They should be talking about Tory corruption.

I'm also a bit nervous after lumping on the Libdems in a bet, their spokeswoman seems to be downplaying expectations. If Labour have fucked it up because they want to keep Boris as PM for the next election I'll be seriously disgruntled. Thinking about it, the likely successors to Johnson are even more dislikeable if anything, so it would be a dumb strategy if true.

I agree.  'Sleaze' is a bit like 'racist' has become.. completely overused and has lost it's meaning.

People need to be precise with language, especially our media.

Edited by Scott Steiner

I am shocked the Lib Dems won by such a margin!  Genuinely thought it would be really close.

Surely the knives will be well and truly out for Boris within the party now.  MPs will know they need a new leader to keep their seats/salaries.

I can't help but think that this is the best thing that could happen for the country.  I'm no fan of the Lib Dems but they've had an outstanding victory in a Brexit voting area with an older population.  This just shows how far down in the public's estimations Boris has gone.

5 hours ago, Dave and Anna Snow said:

Link?

Anna. 

5 hours ago, Dave and Anna Snow said:

About 4 weeks ago.   Better odds are available (14s atm).  

I suspect he'll be ramping up the booster chat or reversing into paternity leave as it suits him. 

David. 

intrigued by this and keen to see where it goes. 

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm getting a bit fed up of them talking about Tory sleaze. It's a tabloid word that's become so vague it's meaningless. They should be talking about Tory corruption.

I'm also a bit nervous after lumping on the Libdems in a bet, their spokeswoman seems to be downplaying expectations. If Labour have fucked it up because they want to keep Boris as PM for the next election I'll be seriously disgruntled. Thinking about it, the likely successors to Johnson are even more dislikeable if anything, so it would be a dumb strategy if true.

So..... Good shout after all.

Congratulations!!

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

North Shropshire, parliamentary by-election result:

LDEM: 47.2% (+37.2)
CON: 31.6% (-31.1)
LAB: 9.7% (-12.4)
GRN: 4.6% (+1.4)
REFUK: 3.8% (+3.8)

A definite rejection for Labour as well.

Nonsense. Labour voters there lent their votes to oust the Tories.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Scott Steiner said:

I agree.  'Sleaze' is a bit like 'racist' has become.. completely overused and has lost it's meaning.

People need to be precise with language, especially our media.

Funny you should say that...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/16/dont-call-it-sleaze-call-it-corruption-why-scandal-haunts-boris-johnsons-government

I'm hoping bawjaws lurches on for a wee bit longer from 1 crisis to another until a general election cannot be avoided.  Just to see another 1997 general election so we can watch them go one by one. A bit like your coupon coming in. Only problem is I still don't think labour are up to knocking in this tap in with the English electorate.  

8 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Can't believe you've prompted me to register for the Guardian website!

Just read some of the article (my attention span's not what it used to be) and whilst not agreeing with some of the segways, it's pretty decent.

11 minutes ago, Dave and Anna Snow said:

Quite like the sound of this chap 'Joseph 77'  who stood in Southend West in 2019 

Joseph 77: my local independent candidate : r/ukpolitics

Does sound like an interesting candidate, although "Leave with a joint" was an unfinished sentence he never got round to finishing. Also, he only polled 19 votes so his message, whatever it was, didn't seem to get across!

7 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Does sound like an interesting candidate, although "Leave with a joint" was an unfinished sentence he never got round to finishing. Also, he only polled 19 votes so his message, whatever it was, didn't seem to get across!

Any candidate that leaves me with a joint will get my vote.