General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

8 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Does sound like an interesting candidate, although "Leave with a joint" was an unfinished sentence he never got round to finishing. Also, he only polled 19 votes so his message, whatever it was, didn't seem to get across!

Now if that was a joint of meat he would romp home.

44 minutes ago, Scott Steiner said:

Can't believe you've prompted me to register for the Guardian website!

Just read some of the article (my attention span's not what it used to be) and whilst not agreeing with some of the segways, it's pretty decent.

I don't know how this works into the bit but openly claiming "I'm not usually attentive enough to read a short Guardian article" feels a bit self-defeating for your posting.

Just a bit of friendly advice ma man.

Just now, NotThePars said:

I don't know how this works into the bit but openly claiming "I'm not usually attentive enough to read a short Guardian article" feels a bit self-defeating for your posting.

Just a bit of friendly advice ma man.

Thanks bud.

Was just being honest, rather than going for a win of some sort.

1 hour ago, Dave and Anna Snow said:

Did they stand aside because the poor man was murdered?   Is Labour contesting the seat? 

Yes, no other party is contesting, which is right. Would be crass to 'take' a seat only because someone was murdered and could set an uncomfortable prescient that one way to remove a party mp is to murder them.

Although you would have to imagine if the seat was contested it would be interesting to see how it plays out.

What would be interesting to know is how much the shropshire election is down to the sleaze of the outgoing candidate and how much is a referendum on the government and bojo as a while. Suspect it is the latter.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

I'm hoping bawjaws lurches on for a wee bit longer from 1 crisis to another until a general election cannot be avoided.  Just to see another 1997 general election so we can watch them go one by one. A bit like your coupon coming in. Only problem is I still don't think labour are up to knocking in this tap in with the English electorate.  

100% on this page too. Let him bumble on for as long as possible. I think in England enough folk in each area have had enough now and if Labour are clever, they'd do as last night and asses where to meaningfully contest and where not to. 

Labour surely want Johnson to stay on - broken, damaged, untrusted, corrupt - and fight the next election.

The last thing they need is Johnson getting sniped by the Tories and having Sunak as PM running on a platform of "new PM, new government"

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Labour surely want Johnson to stay on - broken, damaged, untrusted, corrupt - and fight the next election.

The last thing they need is Johnson getting sniped by the Tories and having Sunak as PM running on a platform of "new PM, new government"

They'll want that, but the truth is Johnson will be out soon enough.  Last night's defeat with have made up the minds of any Tory MPs who were still unsure.

Edited by Scott Steiner

18 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Yes, no other party is contesting, which is right. Would be crass to 'take' a seat only because someone was murdered and could set an uncomfortable prescient that one way to remove a party mp is to murder them.

Although you would have to imagine if the seat was contested it would be interesting to see how it plays out.

What would be interesting to know is how much the shropshire election is down to the sleaze of the outgoing candidate and how much is a referendum on the government and bojo as a while. Suspect it is the latter.

100% on this page too. Let him bumble on for as long as possible. I think in England enough folk in each area have had enough now and if Labour are clever, they'd do as last night and asses where to meaningfully contest and where not to. 

UKIP are contesting this one.

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

UKIP are contesting this one.

No other 'real' party.

12 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Absolutely this. The Tories have been happily treating the pre Boris party as a different entity and getting away with it. A change from Johnson to anyone else would mean this would be replicated.

It's almost as if they are walking away from their liabilities, starting afresh with the same personnel and yet still claiming past victories.... 🤔

Not sure if the Tories would be wise to get shot of Johnson given the alternatives, weirdly a lot of people like him and dismiss his foibles as just Boris being Boris. Sunak might appeal to women of a certain age with his puppy dog eyes but that could wain quickly as we move into a world of austerity budgets with high inflation and rising interest rates. On other matters it was nice to see the old Loaded editor running on the Lawrence Fox ticket polling under 1%.

19 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

No other 'real' party.

Absolutely this. The Tories have been happily treating the pre Boris party as a different entity and getting away with it. A change from Johnson to anyone else would mean this would be replicated.

It's almost as if they are walking away from their liabilities, starting afresh with the same personnel and yet still claiming past victories.... 🤔

UKIP are led by Neil Hamilton - arguably the inventor of Tory sleaze.

They'll also be standing on a ticket of ending illegal immigration and aiming for zero net immigration. It's always been a party that attracts disaffected far right Tory members - god knows there's plenty of them. 

I know they won't be serious contenders in this forthcoming by-election, but it might be interesting to see how many votes they pick up.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure if the Tories would be wise to get shot of Johnson given the alternatives, weirdly a lot of people like him and dismiss his foibles as just Boris being Boris. Sunak might appeal to women of a certain age with his puppy dog eyes but that could wain quickly as we move into a world of austerity budgets with high inflation and rising interest rates. On other matters it was nice to see the old Loaded editor running on the Lawrence Fox ticket polling under 1%.

I think everyone will be looking at the opinion polls in the new year and more importantly the local elections in May, as they say 6 months is a long time in politics.

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm getting a bit fed up of them talking about Tory sleaze. It's a tabloid word that's become so vague it's meaningless. They should be talking about Tory corruption.

I'm also a bit nervous after lumping on the Libdems in a bet, their spokeswoman seems to be downplaying expectations. If Labour have fucked it up because they want to keep Boris as PM for the next election I'll be seriously disgruntled. Thinking about it, the likely successors to Johnson are even more dislikeable if anything, so it would be a dumb strategy if true.

Will you be betting on the Tories to win the Southend West By-Election, Bairn?

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Will you be betting on the Tories to win the Southend West By-Election, Bairn?

I doubt anyone will be offering the bet, and if they did you'd probably have to bet a thousand quid to win the price of a pint.

2 hours ago, btb said:

I think everyone will be looking at the opinion polls in the new year and more importantly the local elections in May, as they say 6 months is a long time in politics.

Aye, 26 weeks...

Guest Bob Mahelp

Johnson is dead in the water, and I'm stunned at Tories who are saying that he's in 'the last chance saloon'. 

His arrogance, cowardice and callousness has made a fool out of the country for the last 2 years, and given that this is how he's lived his whole life, it's hardly as if he's going to wake up tomorrow morning and become the world's greatest living statesman and diplomat. 

He's served his purpose as the court jester and right-wing populist appealing to the lowest common denominator. From last week onwards he's become nothing more than a liability for the Tories, and it's impossible to believe that anyone connected to the party doesn't know that. 

They must believe that their large majority and the length of time before the next GE will somehow make the UK electorate forget what type of party they are under Johnson. 

Stunning. 

Don't get me wrong......the longer he's there as a dead duck PM, the closer Scottish independence becomes and the more likely it is that the Tories will be destroyed at the next GE. 

So keep him there please, but I'm absolutely blown away that the party thinks he should get more chances to f*ck up. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

They must believe that their large majority and the length of time before the next GE will somehow make the UK electorate forget what type of party they are under Johnson. 

Stunning. 

Don't get me wrong......the longer he's there as a dead duck PM, the closer Scottish independence becomes and the more likely it is that the Tories will be destroyed at the next GE. 

So keep him there please, but I'm absolutely blown away that the party thinks he should get more chances to f*ck up. 

Agree with this. One thing that Johnson isn’t given enough credit for is undermining and demeaning the office of PM. His election in the first place - a TV personality and cartoon character - really stepped this up and he’s only ground the office down even further. If anyone out there has lingering fantasies of Disraeli, Gladstone, Churchill, or even Thatcher or Blair, and imagines that the position of UK PM is somehow still a massive force in global politics, then the farces of May and Johnson have really put paid to them. The longer Johnson remains, the less possible it is to imagine that UK PMs are political colossi, and subsequently the less natural it seems that they should govern us as wise, patriarchal statesmen. Breaking away from joke figures is easier than breaking away from those who manage to stride about the world stage commanding respect.