Raith Rovers v St Mirren 5/3/16

Clark I think will be off in the summer, he gives a lot of effort but just isn't good enough. Warburton (I hope) is looking at a longer term view with several young players, letting them get games, build up experience and confidence, then hope that when they come back they'll slot into the team like Barrie McKay did.

Good for us and good Raith. Especially if he scores against hibs.

I wouldn't necessarily compare Barrie McKay to Hardie. He was hopeless for us and clearly didn't want to be at the Rovers. Hardie looks like a really good prospect and on the face of it has a much better attitude.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent highlights package from Raith there, thanks for linking it to the thread.

I don't really know what to make of yesterday. I felt we were by far the better team and almost crashed the car when the BBC reporter said that it was a deserved victory for Raith. However on reflection, if you convert virtually every one of your chances then you probably deserve to win. In terms of the chances we created and our all round play, I did feel a point would have been more than deserved, but I have to commend Raith on being extremely clinical in front of goal.

Perhaps the most significant indactor of how well Alex Rae has done is that at 2-0, and even at 4-1, we didn't look out of it at all. Under Murray we would have capitulated, but we now have a confidence and a resolve, and our style of football appears to be improving on a near-weekly basis. It's still nowhere near the finished article but in comparison to the previous regime it's night and day. The long balls aren't as hopeful and aimless. They seem to be intended for a forward-rushing striker, which I felt we executed well on a number of occasions yesterday.

In short, our season is virtually over. We're going to have the odd nervous glance behind us but I think there's little doubt we will pick up the required points to stay comfortably clear of the drop. Mid-table purgatory it is.

As an aside, yesterday was the first time in an extremely long time where I left a game of football feeling that I got value for money. In spite of the defeat, I actually felt entertained. It perhaps speaks volumes that I should be pleasantly surprised by this.

PS I didn't realise Raith's run-out music is "Dancing in the Street". Raised a chuckle.

Cracking ball from Callachan for the first. I enjoyed the celebrations being punctuated by the famous St Mirren boo as well.

Langfield really should've saved the second, though. Fantastic ball from Harry for the 3rd, although debatable whether or not Langfield should've done better there too.

Who on earth was supposed to be marking Keith Watson at St. Mirren's first? Bene, Toshney and Thomson are all standing in his vicinity and yet he has a free header? Dismal defending. Their second is a great hit from Clarkson, but what you have there is a group of Raith defenders and midfielders who just look lost and unsure where they should be or what they should be doing. Davidson and Toshney in particular don't cover themselves in glory. The third is really just a classic example of failing to properly defend a set piece.

Changes in defence and midfield required for Tuesday, I think.

Archived