Stirling vs Arbroath

We tried something different on Saturday though - with 3 at the back, two attacking wing backs and Linn and Ramsay fairly pushed up to support Rutherford. Until Ricky was sent off and we had to change it to a flat 4 at the back, it was working well and we were fairly on top and creating far more chances than in previous weeks. The majority reacted to this change, and us looking better/ creating more, by berating the management for not playing 2 upfront. In my opinion we could try a whole host of things, but unless we're playing with 2 upfront it won't be accepted. As has been pointed out, the team at the top of this league play the same formation as us and it doesn't seem a particuar hinderence to them.

The only difference between the formation we play and a 4-4-2 is that our number 10 plays in behind the number 9. That is literally the ONLY difference. One of the ideas behind this is the number 10 can be more creative, and drop to help the midfield create while also being able to push up and support the striker when required. Our problem, in my opinion, is that tactically we're not playing the way the formation we have should dictate. Todd and Hissy both appear to be quoted as blaming players for failing to follow instructions at points, and that to me is completely unacceptable. If that is the case then either the players don't have the ability to follow instructions, or they don't respect what the management are asking them to do.

No matter what happens people will berate the management though, that's the stage it has got to!

I've seen some comments say that it was a decent change to make but like I said I think most just want to see us get back to basics! And the standard 4-4-2 is as basic as it can get.

I agree with what you are saying by the way. Although it makes a massive difference not having two up top when the players just seem to be punting it long. Which is probably why there's still the 2 up top shouts, because when it goes from back to front so quickly we seem to be left with one boy up against 4.

And Todd and Hislop blame everybody but themselves, it's what they're best at. :)

Eta: I don't blame any player for the way they've played this season, I don't think that's fair, Todds the guy that signed them and he's pulling the strings and from what I can see the players all certainly seem to be trying their best to play the way they've been told.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've shouted for 2 up front all season when we play at home, we should attack every team in this league at home and put pressure on teams, our record at gayfield is horrible , the fact we are about the 3rd lowest scorers and our league position shows this formation doesn't work, not one player has worked in the no 10 position and this is down to them not been up to the standard or the game totally by passing them with long ball, it also shown in last few games that Hester can't work alone up front so why when we had the chance on Saturday didn't he have Rutherford and Hester on from the start, don't get me wrong when we go to east fife, Annan, play your 4-2-3-1 and drop some one off to support midfield and be more compact, but at home 4-4-2 is a must,

The way things are going we will end up with 44/45 points this season and could be the lowest scorers in the league.

Clearly 1 or 3 up front hasnt worked so far after 26 games with only 32 points....

Management are far to stuck in the idealism of "the system"

Rhliston totally agree with you on all your points regarding Dickson contributes nothing from midfield.I can't understand why we are playing pj as full back when we Velraque sitting on the bench Pj would be more effective playing wide right he has pace to hurt most fullbacks.Apart from the east fife game we have been unlucky not to pick up more points a must win on Saturday against Arbroath and see what we can get up at Elgin on tuesday

Afraid i cant agree with PJ being effective at all. Apart from his pace he has very little skill, would rather he was on the bench tbh

Only thing I would put PJ in the team for is his experience, don't think Moses is quite ready to start and with possible injuries to McLear and Ross Smith we could be short of bodies for Saturday and the more experienced players we can start on Saturday the better as we need the 3 points to keep us on track for a possible playoff place.

I would like to see Hester start up front with Rutherford, they seem to work decently well together and it can hopefully create more chances for us. I think that a lack of support for a lone striker has been a major problem this season, it's all well and good to play with a "system" but at this level surely a simple 4-4-2 should more than suffice. Having too complicated a system at this level of football isn't usually a good way to go imo.

I would like to see Hester start up front with Rutherford, they seem to work decently well together and it can hopefully create more chances for us. I think that a lack of support for a lone striker has been a major problem this season, it's all well and good to play with a "system" but at this level surely a simple 4-4-2 should more than suffice. Having too complicated a system at this level of football isn't usually a good way to go imo.

Been saying this since before Rutherford was injured.

The amount of times Rutherford wins a first ball but no one is near him for a knock on or flick on.

Also you would find the majority of the teams above us play 4-4-2

Archived