Natalie McGarry- Again

Tom McB

5 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Surely that doesn't require bail.

I would think it's unusal to be granted for this. No legal expert though.

I'm thinking the appeal will take a long of time so her sentance would exceed a possibe sentance reduction.

Just now, sureiknow said:

I would think it's unusal to be granted for this. No legal expert though.

I'm thinking the appeal will take a long of time so her sentance would exceed a possibe sentance reduction.

Might be right it's just not something I remember happening, then again, you'd only remember the high profile cases.

Nat Fraser got released on bail pending an appeal.

That didn't do him any good as in a Nebraska style he ended up getting life + six months.

As for McGarry, I rather suspect that a long jail term is inappropriate and other options that are available to Scotland2019 should be fully considered. I'm quite well aware that this won't go down well with the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade but their opinion is worth as much to me as yesterday's papers.

54 minutes ago, sophia said:

Nat Fraser got released on bail pending an appeal.

That didn't do him any good as in a Nebraska style he ended up getting life + six months.

As for McGarry, I rather suspect that a long jail term is inappropriate and other options that are available to Scotland2019 should be fully considered. I'm quite well aware that this won't go down well with the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade but their opinion is worth as much to me as yesterday's papers.

Incredible to claim that it’s only the “hang ‘em and flog ‘em brigade” that want to see her pay for what she’s done.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Slight exaggeration there. As someone else posted a few days ago, she's shown absolutely no remorse for what she's done and has behaved in cynical, calculated fashion throughout. She certainly deserves some jail time.  Had some other Tory w****r like Ross Thomson done the same thing we'd be demanding similar punishment. I'm unsure why folk think McGarry should get a free pass.

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

Slight exaggeration there. As someone else posted a few days ago, she's shown absolutely no remorse for what she's done and has behaved in cynical, calculated fashion throughout. She certainly deserves some jail time.  Had some other Tory w****r like Ross Thomson done the same thing we'd be demanding similar punishment. I'm unsure why folk think McGarry should get a free pass.

I think she should get jail time of 6 month and ordered to pay  restitution twice the amount she swindled, let it hit her and her hubby hard as money is more important to these arseholes than morals.

On 6/12/2019 at 08:49, dirty dingus said:

I think she should get jail time of 6 month and ordered to pay  restitution twice the amount she swindled, let it hit her and her hubby hard as money is more important to these arseholes than morals.

Totally agree.

On 6/12/2019 at 14:19, jupe1407 said:

I'm sure there would be different reactions to somebody like Thomson or another Tory doing similar, but there is a strong case to say that we are too quick to lock-up non-violent criminals in this country, especially when the risk of being in a position to re-offend is extremely small. It is a bit sad that it takes a relatively high-profile case like this for some to realise that, mind. 

I'd like some stronger community-based alternatives available, as mentioned in WfI's statement after McGarry was sentenced. 

On 12/06/2019 at 07:19, jupe1407 said:

I'm unsure why folk think McGarry should get a free pass.

Who are these folk?

I think we should be told.

Some folk even suggested that "other options" are and should increasingly be appropriate.

2 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I'm sure there would be different reactions to somebody like Thomson or another Tory doing similar, but there is a strong case to say that we are too quick to lock-up non-violent criminals in this country, especially when the risk of being in a position to re-offend is extremely small. It is a bit sad that it takes a relatively high-profile case like this for some to realise that, mind. 

I'd like some stronger community-based alternatives available, as mentioned in WfI's statement after McGarry was sentenced. 

In cases where there is genuine vulnerability, I absolutely agree.

In cases where the individual is already well-off, shows absolutely zero remorse and uses the money stolen from others to maintain the lifestyle to which she thinks she should be accustomed, no. 

My only query over this case is why her husband appears to have completely escaped any investigation when he was the recipient of some of the money transfers. 

2 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

In cases where there is genuine vulnerability, I absolutely agree.

In cases where the individual is already well-off, shows absolutely zero remorse and uses the money stolen from others to maintain the lifestyle to which she thinks she should be accustomed, no. 

My only query over this case is why her husband appears to have completely escaped any investigation when he was the recipient of some of the money transfers. 

This is the crux of the matter.  If it were a vulnerable woman in different circumstances then I would have no problem with a non-custodial option.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd still be interested to know what part, or how much her Tory Councillor husband knew about this.

Around that time, McGarry and her husband then went on holiday to Spain, paid for with his bank card.

Mr Drugan said: “McGarry transferred money from the WFI Paypal to her account and a further transfer to David Meikle which helped pay for their holiday.”

5 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I'm still surprised more searching questions are not being asked of him.

Maybe he just unquestioningly accepted his wife was never short of cash.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

It would be very difficult to prove what he knew about the money moving to his account. A partner (not sure they were married then) transferring over a few hundred quid to cover a holiday isn’t suspicious in itself and there would have to be evidence that he was aware of where it came from. It’s not like in a money laundering case where someone transferred over thousands for no apparent reason.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

It would be very difficult to prove what he knew about the money moving to his account. A partner (not sure they were married then) transferring over a few hundred quid to cover a holiday isn’t suspicious in itself and there would have to be evidence that he was aware of where it came from. It’s not like in a money laundering case where someone transferred over thousands for no apparent reason.

I'd be suspicious if my partner transferred a few hundred quid into my account to pay, or help pay for a holiday. Maybe pleased with such a transfer but still suspicious all the same.

Eta

I would definitely have asked questions as to where the money came from.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

• 5 months later...