Father Ted best bits

Blootoon87

Ted: "He's not a very nice man, is he?"

Dougal: "God Ted I've never met anyone like him anyway. Who'd he be like, Hitler or one of those mad fellas?"

Ted: "Oh, worse than Hitler. You wouldn't find Hitler playing jungle music at three o'clock in the morning."

Can anyone remember an episode where they're watching tv and there's some remote tribe or something and father Jack wakes up and there's his doppleganger on the screen but black?

Sure i didn't imagine this?

:lol:

I remember this but can't recall the episode - it was Frank Kelly in messy brown face paint!

The ending of that episode is probably my favourite moment that didn't have any dialogue. Well, barely any.

Watched that full episode the other night, the look on the young Chinese guy's face when Father Jack pops out the box in full SS regalia is superb. The whole episode is fantastic, one of the best imo.

Loved it at the time. Thought it was genius. Went to work over in Ireland and only then understood a million silly jokes only Irish folk would get. Peerless really.

I'm now intruiged by this. A few examples if you please?

Dougal walks in cussing and saying 'feck' and other obscenities after hanging out with Father Damo, Ted asks 'Dougal have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again'

Roddy Doyle being Irelands equivalent of Irvine Welsh, frowned upon by the elderly and the church as a corruptor of impressionable youths

The characters of Jim and Mary being very typical of Catholic couples in Ireland and even Scotland as well who would put on rosy smiles for the priest then behind closed door act pretty horrible, drinking swearing and often pretty violent

The Eoin McLovely episode as well, a brilliant riposte and pisstake of Daniel O'Donnel and Micheal Flatley who brilliantly exploited the housewife market who thought they were saccharine sweet lovely and wanted to mother and fawn over

To be fair you dont have to be Irish to 'get' most of the jokes, being part of or growing up in the Catholic faith and experiencing some of the awkwardness, hypocricy and sometimes silliness of facets of the religion and various clergy is a grounding for getting some of the more subtle humour in the show

Edited by Tom Rogic

Well, stuff like the lovely girls contest. It's a piss take of the "Rose of Tralee", which is a big thing on Irish telly even now.

And more obtuse stuff from the rural Irish setting. It was filmed in Clare and I worked in Kerry, but the general Culchie characterisation was spot on. Brilliantly observed and performed that although exagerated, you'd see these guys wandering about all the time.

My wife's aunt was a real life Mrs Doyle- making tea and pottering about a parochial house looking after priests.

It was just great. A real eye opener.

Can anyone remember an episode where they're watching tv and there's some remote tribe or something and father Jack wakes up and there's his doppleganger on the screen but black?

Sure i didn't imagine this?

:lol:

Think that's from at the start Night of the Nearly Dead.

Reminds me of a highlight of that episode, with the horror movie-like vibe, Jack has been saying prophetic-sounding things, then as they are trying to come up with an idea to get rid of all the old ladies outside, he goes to speak, Ted and Dougal are waiting eagerly... then he just starts shouting "Feck arse drink girls!".  :lol: