England

bobthespider

Any other year Rashford/Defoe/Carroll would all be the sort of "purple patch" selections England are famed for. Think this year, with Welbeck, Sturridge and Rooney all being favourites of Woy, and Kane/Vardy being the top scorers in the league, its the one year where they surely won't select one.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rashford has only played about 10 games hasn't he ?   He's looked out his depth on the two occasions I've seen him.   The French lad who looks similar is raw but a better prospect. 

Seven goals in twelve starts, with a MPG of 134.

Agreed about Martial looking the better player though.

Id only be taking one of Sturridge and Welbeck, Carroll provides a different option than those 2.

Welbeck and Sturridge are two completely different kinds of player too, so that negates that point.

As t no point will England play to Carroll's strengths so I don't see the point in taking him.

Rashford has only played about 10 games hasn't he ? He's looked out his depth on the two occasions I've seen him. The French lad who looks similar is raw but a better prospect.

I think the problem with the French lad is that he's French, so we'd probably be more likely to take Rashford

• 4 weeks later...

My squad Prediction

Goalkeepers - Hart, Forster, Heaton

Full Backs - Clyne, Walker, Rose, Bertrand

Centre Backs - Cahill, Smalling, Stones, Jagielka

Midfield - Dier, Alli, Henderson, Milner, Barkley, Lallana, Sterling, Townsend

Strikers - Kane, Vardy, Sturridge, Rooney

Gibbs, Walcott, Wilshere and Defoe miss out.

ETA - I would select Wilshire instead of Milner or possibly Jagielka (Dier could be the 4th CB).

Defence looks suspect. 3 centre halfs doesn't seem enough. Fair enough dier can play there but he hasn't much all season.

My thoughts initially.  Mental not to have a fourth in there, and I don't see any of the full-backs being able to fill in unless I'm mistaken.  

And a mistake to take Rashford, if he goes.  Presumably it's between Kane and Vardy to start up front with Rooney maybe supporting behind.  Leaving Sturridge and Rashford (although one of those will surely drop out) as the sub.  In that case, Defoe should be taking that place, no question.  Not to say Rashford is a bad player - he's certainly got a big future - but that's just it.  He's the future.  Happy to take it back if he goes and takes the tournament by storm, but if I was them, I'd be happier knowing someone like Defoe was in reserve.

Archived