The P&B Eating Out Guide

Never been but have heard that China Red beside the Corn Exchange in Edinburgh is supposed to be top notch. Another of these buffet style eating shops but the food comes past you on a conveyor belt and you help yourself.

It's not that great

Passable but not great

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are folks views on Cosmos at Silverburn or Cooks & Indi etc.

My missus loves these type of places whereas I just think this view confirms her as a gypsy.  In my opinion it is ok if you were out with your mates or something and/or wanted a good feed - but for me everything in the place tastes like its been bought from Iceland (the frozen food place not the country) and just bashed into an oven.

This may well be considered racist but Oriental food should be cooked by orientals, middle eastern food by middle eastern people, italian food by italians (you get the gist).  An Indian making boiled rice and putting some egg in it does NOT make it egg fried rice.

Is this just a shout for good local restaurants?

If so, Ciao Sorrento in Dundee.

Do the government still do that meals on wheels thing for old folk like yourself?

To go with the useful P&B Beer, Lager, Ale Stout & Cider Thread and the Name Mozza's Cat Thread

Found myself at a bit of a quandry last night as I was seeing a friend from down south and I didn't know where to take her in Glasgow, somewhere that wasn't too up itself and somewhere that wasn't Nandos.

So ended up going to The Anchor Line on St Vincent Place. A really, really nice place in the old Anchor Line building - a shipping line which ran from Scotland to all over the world.

The restaurant itself has a large and well stocked bar and is spread out over quite a vast area, but the waiting time was impressively minimal for drinks and food.

The menu is varied and serves just about every taste. It includes oysters to start to a simple duck pate and toast. Mains go from a ground steak burger to full on chateaubriand - and a good selection of seafood to boot.

Since I ended up driving I couldn't imbibe in the selection of beer and gin they had, but I know they have Schiehallion on tap. I ended up going for a steak which was actually very good.

The place served up reasonably good value for money (a 3-course Easter Sunday menu was offered for £21.95) and had a very good atmosphere about it. I was quite surprised to get a table in the end, but throughly enjoyed the experience and would highly recommend The Anchor Line.

We enjoyed both the anchor line and the Atlantic which is its sister restaurant.

Never been but have heard that China Red beside the Corn Exchange in Edinburgh is supposed to be top notch. Another of these buffet style eating shops but the food comes past you on a conveyor belt and you help yourself.

I've been there, it's okay, nothing special. These types of places never are though. The only Chinese buffet worth visiting in Edinburgh is Beijing Banquet.

Is this just a shout for good local restaurants?

If so, Ciao Sorrento in Dundee.

Have you been to the tapas place in Broughty Ferry? Worth a visit, if so? 

As far as chain restaurants go, I really like Thaikun and Las Iguanas. Aside from that Carmine's is nice.

As far as chain restaurants go, I really like Thaikun and Las Iguanas. Aside from that Carmine's is nice.

Never been, but I've only heard good things.

Absolutely. The place is fantastic. There is no menu, they just bring out food for you to try but it's top notch.

Another cracking Spanish place is Torres Tapas on Sauciehall Street. Well worth checking out.

Absolutely. The place is fantastic. There is no menu, they just bring out food for you to try but it's top notch.

Another cracking Spanish place is Torres Tapas on Sauciehall Street. Well worth checking out.

Sounds like they could just charge you what the bloody well choose?!  :lol: I'll definitely give it a go.

Oh aye, we had a meal at the scran and Scallie last night.

Sorry to say, staff were nice but he's trading on his name at it. Was not a great meal at all, we would have been better off at Burger King.

That's the second meal I've had there that was 'meh' at best, we won't be back.

Oh aye, we had a meal at the scran and Scallie last night.

Sorry to say, staff were nice but he's trading on his name at it. Was not a great meal at all, we would have been better off at Burger King.

That's the second meal I've had there that was 'meh' at best, we won't be back.

Fool me once...............

Yeah I know. Decided to give it another go, we might have got a bad night last time round, now I know for sure and won't be back.

I'm going to try the kilted lobster next time round. At least they have a social conscience and try and put something back to the community....

I like Mexican food - always try to grab a burrito in Los Cardos if I'm down near Leith looking for some food but what's the best place to go in the centre?

I like Los Iguanas, cheap and cheerful with good service, but there's a few other places.  Where would P&B recommend?

Archived