Striking Options

kenny131

2 hours ago, kenny131 said:

Wait till you see his championship record too.  

I'd be interested to see Steven Fletchers record in the Championship. Its obviously pretty bad since you've highlighted it.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty hard to score goals in a league when you've never had the chance to play in it.
Rhodes should get his chance soon enough, Fletcher on the other hand has been fortunate enough to play in the premier league and was pretty average, which is why he's playing for Sheff Wed now.

Weird the way that the inferior players have played at an inferior level.

12 hours ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Ross McCormack has moved to Aston Villa. Shame a Premier League team didn't take a chance on him.

If a Premier League club want to go out and sign an unproven player for £12m, they're going to sign someone from another major European top flight, not a Championship player who's going to turn 30 in a couple of weeks.  He's only worth £12m to a Championship club because he's a proven goalscorer at that level.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be interested to see Steven Fletchers record in the Championship. Its obviously pretty bad since you've highlighted it.

Any reply yet Kenny?

54 minutes ago, LinkinFighter said:

I don't know why this is still debated, for a team like Scotland, Fletcher is the best option.

Careful with that.  You'll be branded a Fletcher fanboy, the most heinous of insults.

I mean, you're 100% correct, but still, poor show.

1 hour ago, LinkinFighter said:

I don't know why this is still debated, for a team like Scotland, Fletcher is the best option.

Fletcher in his prime playing for Wolves and scoring double figures in the EPL, yes. Fletcher in decline, nearing 30, dropping down to the Championship and having a total of 3,5,4 and 3 club goals in his last four seasons, No.

When does it become valid to have the debate?

13 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

What do you mean by "fortunate to play" there? His goals got one team promoted there, he then scored a few that wasn't quite enough to keep them up but was enough to get him a move to another Premiership club then a year later another Premiership club. 

Don't think he's ever played in the Championship (until now). He went straight to Burnley after they moved up into the EPL IIRC.

10 hours ago, conley said:

I would think many would regard Sheffield Wednesday a bigger club than Middlesborough.

20 years ago maybe, Boro are a yo-yo EPL team now. Would you say a move from Boro to Sheff Wed was a step up?

Fletcher is in his 'prime' and he's playing for a mid-table Championship club because he's not very good.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Fletcher in his prime playing for Wolves and scoring double figures in the EPL, yes. Fletcher in decline, nearing 30, dropping down to the Championship and having a total of 3,5,4 and 3 club goals in his last four seasons, No.

When there is a better option probably.

He is the best option we have.  He also isn't that good.  Such are our options.

Fletcher is in his 'prime' and he's playing for a mid-table Championship club because he's not very good.

Wednesday were beaten in the final of the premiership play-offs. So hardly a mid table championship team.

When someone else plays better than him in the role we use Fletcher in. I would possibly give McCormack a chance, but he's never really been interested in Scotland due to various reasons. Rhodes is too much of a poacher. Griffiths will never be good enough either. Martin - lol

17 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

And he's had by far the best career of the 4. Because he's the best player, comfortably.

Because he's had the best career doesn't mean he is the best option now, when was fletchers last prolific season, premiership or not goals breed confidence and form in a striker, if we get one chance against England id rather it fell to one of the guys that are banging them in at whatever level than a guy who's struggling to find the net at a high level

They play for countries not afraid to Play more than 1 striker for a start that's for sure!! In the case of Kanu he is a strange one though as his Club scoring record is abysmal, clearly just one of those players who loves putting on his countries shirt, wish some of our guys looked like that, half of them look like they are half asleep when playing!

27 minutes ago, 53_and_counting said:

Just curious, at what level did robson kanu, will grigg, kyle lafferty etc play at last season and the season before when they were both helping fire their countries to the euros and then starring in them 

That'll be the Will Grigg who didn't play any games at the tournament, aye?  The one that has scored a mighty one goal in eight appearances?  And that was in a friendly I believe.  But he has a pure bantz song about him, so it must be true.

And Hal Robson Kanu really fired his country to the Euros with his one goal in qualifying (that came when they were already ahead against Cyprus).  He's a better example, but effectively only gets hyped due to one very, very good goal.  I remember Fletcher scoring a very good goal against Poland too...

Lafferty is the only one that can be used as an example - he scored 7 in qualifying, so pretty instrumental.  What level was he playing at at the time?  Technically the Premier League, with Norwich, although he was on loan to Rizespor and Birmingham City in that time.  Not really sure what point you're trying to make with that.

Taking Lafferty out of the equation, I'm not really sure what's comparable.  You're talking about players who had decent tournaments despite not playing at a high level and being pretty limited.  We had a number of strikers fitting that mould during qualifying, in fact you could argue every striker we had was like that (except Fletcher, who is limited in finishing, but was playing at a higher level).  Only we didn't qualify - whose to say on another alternate timeline we qualified and Martin, Fletcher and Griffiths chipped in with goals that went way beyond what we thought they were capable of?  Unlikely, but I'm sure most of the Belgium side thought it was pretty unlikely that Hal Robson Kanu would send them on such an outrageous dummy, before he did.

20 minutes ago, troopio said:

They play for countries not afraid to Play more than 1 striker for a start that's for sure!! In the case of Kanu he is a strange one though as his Club scoring record is abysmal, clearly just one of those players who loves putting on his countries shirt, wish some of our guys looked like that, half of them look like they are half asleep when playing!

Wales played only one forward technically.  If you want to count Bale, fair enough, will give you that, but given he's Gareth Bale, it's hardly comparable to anything we can put out.  Northern Ireland did play 2 up...oh no, wait, they didn't.  They played Lafferty up front on his own.

But yeah, they're totally "not afraid" to play more than one striker, despite only playing...one.

Archived