Striking Options

kenny131

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my criticism is based purely on fact that they have a set figure of a pool of 45 which to me suggests they will not think outside of that 45 unless they have no other option that is all.

It would fine if we were successful but we aren't. Current management team are happy to limit the resources that we pick from which is bizarre when we aren't doing well.

16 minutes ago, troopio said:

my criticism is based purely on fact that they have a set figure of a pool of 45 which to me suggests they will not think outside of that 45 unless they have no other option that is all.

If you can come back with more than 45 players who are true international class, then I'll take that point.

He's not saying that it's a fixed 45.  At the current moment, their pool is 45.  Where did he say that that was a closed shop?  For the next squad announcement, that pool could be larger or smaller.  Probably will be.  There is absolutely no basis in saying that the pool is anything other than a current at-this-time view on what we have available.  45 seems quite generous to me.

On 27/08/2016 at 00:04, kenny131 said:

Love this..... he was fucking brutal tonight and exactly the Carthorse we have all seen in a Scotland shirt.  Personally I think he will be afforded another 90 minutes in Derby shirt before he is in division 2.

If strachan or any other punter watching that against Burton fecking albion and delivered sweet FA thinks he warrants a squad inclusion before mccormack needs a straight jacket

Must say I totally agree with your many comments throughout this section.

Jock Stein once said "You can't kid the punters,

they know a player when they see one."  If Strachan and his side-kick don't

chuck it before this campaign finishes, I, like many I have spoken to, firmly believe

the pair of them will be away by the end of it. His logic over picking the likes of

Hutton, Greer and Steven Fletcher beggars belief. For me, the management should

have been emptied after we failed to qualify for this summer's championships.

You have been proved correct with your thoughts about the former Derby County

Carthorse. In my time I can't remember so many players being allowed time away

from a Scotland camp to sign for a new club. Wonder if McGhee did the

same as the club sold their in-form striker to Oxford... 

44 minutes ago, catcoach said:

Must say I totally agree with your many comments throughout this section.

Jock Stein once said "You can't kid the punters,

they know a player when they see one."  If Strachan and his side-kick don't

chuck it before this campaign finishes, I, like many I have spoken to, firmly believe

the pair of them will be away by the end of it. His logic over picking the likes of

Hutton, Greer and Steven Fletcher beggars belief. For me, the management should

have been emptied after we failed to qualify for this summer's championships.

You have been proved correct with your thoughts about the former Derby County

Carthorse. In my time I can't remember so many players being allowed time away

from a Scotland camp to sign for a new club. Wonder if McGhee did the

same as the club sold their in-form striker to Oxford... 

if i remember right it was two players that signed for new players on transfer deadline day... hardly a massive number. but you're right it would be far better man management if strachan told martin that he couldn't go have a medical at fulham because he might miss a training session with the squad. its not like strachan is in a position to stop players from moving to new teams anyway.

On 1 September 2016 at 09:34, forameus said:

Strange one with Rhodes.  Not taking up offers suggests that they have plans for him, but I'd imagine both Negredo and Nugent will be ahead of him in the pecking order.  Not playing him in the League Cup was telling.  Possible they see him purely as a third option should both Negredo and Nugent be unavailable, which means he's unlikely to get much time at all.  Doubt we'll see him called up for a while.

I don't see much change in Martin either.  He's been banging them in pretty consistently since he first appeared, but he's still looked pretty poor for us.  Hopefully that does change, but if we have all our first choice forwards, he's still third in line at best.

As I posted previously, Karanka said he would've played him had it not been for two injuries mid-game.

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

As I posted previously, Karanka said he would've played him had it not been for two injuries mid-game.

Fair enough.  Was surprised when he didn't at least get something in the cup, but that pretty much explains it.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

When have we ever played a guy without a club?

1 hour ago, PrestersKTID said:

Was Hutton not without a club for a while? 

I thought hutton as well, perhaps im thinking of when he was massively frozen out of club football but still contracted to a team

Hutton was left to rot at Villa as I think they were due to pay Spurs some extra money if he played a certain amount of games by a certain time etc I also think in that time as well he was generally just pish as well hence the fact he was sent out on Loan several times.

• 2 weeks later...

With no Nugent on the bench leaving Rhodes as the only striker there, I thought that with Boro a goal down looking to get back into the game it would be his chance. Brought on a winger, attacking midfielder and defensive midfielder and left Rhodes on the bench. Lad doesn't have a chance I don't think.

With no Nugent on the bench leaving Rhodes as the only striker there, I thought that with Boro a goal down looking to get back into the game it would be his chance. Brought on a winger, attacking midfielder and defensive midfielder and left Rhodes on the bench. Lad doesn't have a chance I don't think.

Yeah, it's a strange slide down the pecking order. Last season he was ahead of Nugent, this season he seems like a last resort.

7 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah, it's a strange slide down the pecking order. Last season he was ahead of Nugent, this season he seems like a last resort.

Karanka has always preferred Nugent, it's well known that Nugent was a Karanka signing whilst Rhodes was the scouting network that picked him out. I think the problem is that he's obviously always going to start Negredo (tbh he hasn't been great the last couple of games) but when he makes a sub for him he wants something different with a Nugent style striker to run in behind rather than Rhodes who would be doing a similar job.

Feel sorry for Rhodes though because he looked good pre-season. If Negredo keeps playing the same way I hope Rhodes gets his chance soon.

Archived