Striking Options

kenny131

Well  Griffiths will have the chance to show how much he has improve in that champs league draw oooft they don't come tougher than that. 

Tierney will either  benifit(hopefully)or be mentally scarred.

But best of luck to both of them.

If Griff, Gordon or Tierney show up well in that group then they should be first choice for Scotland. I think Celtic will suffer badly against that opposition, but I agree. Good luck to them.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

If Griff, Gordon or Tierney show up well in that group then they should be first choice for Scotland. I think Celtic will suffer badly against that opposition, but I agree. Good luck to them.

gordon might if he keeps it to single figures, tierney might if he can last the full 90 without having a heart attack chasing the opposition, poor griffiths might as well take a book onto the park to read given celtic will only see the ball when they take centre about 8 times a game :D

11 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Perhaps, but it's not going to be as simple as looking at games they've played for Celtic and saying "he played better, we start him".  We need to be playing the best group of players, not just the players that are in form blindly.  Obviously there's hopefully going to be a huge overlap in those.  If Griffiths is scoring for fun, then definitely in his case due to the confidence boost.  But particularly in Gordon's case, is a brilliant performance and a clean sheet against Barcelona really going to mean his faults disappear?

Perhaps, but it's not going to be as simple as looking at games they've played for Celtic and saying "he played better, we start him".  We need to be playing the best group of players, not just the players that are in form blindly.  Obviously there's hopefully going to be a huge overlap in those.  If Griffiths is scoring for fun, then definitely in his case due to the confidence boost.  But particularly in Gordon's case, is a brilliant performance and a clean sheet against Barcelona really going to mean his faults disappear?

I buy into Gordon Strachan's theory here: if a player is doing it at Champions League level then you make concessions and make a place for him in the team - shape the team to suit him, even.

And I don't think Marshall (who has his own faults) is anywhere near good enough to trump someone in his position playing at the very top level.

On 8/23/2016 at 19:57, Gordopolis said:

Lineker on BT Sport there ripping into Strachan for not playing a goalscorer like LG for Scotland!

Listened to the sportsound podcast after the game and Rodgers hooked Griffiths because the ball wasn't sticking up front so he brought on Dembele. It seems he has the same thoughts as Strachan. 

Griffiths was brilliant in the home tie and without him Celtic wouldn't have went through but in the away leg he was worse than a man down which has been the story of his very short Scotland career.

Just watched Chris Martin struggle for an hour against Burton Albion before being subbed.

He was brutal, playing up front on his own.

He will have to start Griffiths against Malta next week. He is in the best form of what we have to choose from.

Maybe Levein had the right idea playing no strikers...

Listened to the sportsound podcast after the game and Rodgers hooked Griffiths because the ball wasn't sticking up front so he brought on Dembele. It seems he has the same thoughts as Strachan. 

Griffiths was brilliant in the home tie and without him Celtic wouldn't have went through but in the away leg he was worse than a man down which has been the story of his very short Scotland career.

Didn't have a great game but he had a very good game in Astana playing the same role.

Martin is genuinely infuriating, he's the only one in that squad I just can't bring myself to like. I know people stick up for him because he does have a good record and does get a hard time but f**k sake I just can't shake the feeling that he's just a big useless lump.

2 hours ago, F_T_Y said:

Just watched Chris Martin struggle for an hour against Burton Albion before being subbed.

He was brutal, playing up front on his own.

He will have to start Griffiths against Malta next week. He is in the best form of what we have to choose from.

Maybe Levein had the right idea playing no strikers...

Love this..... he was fucking brutal tonight and exactly the Carthorse we have all seen in a Scotland shirt.  Personally I think he will be afforded another 90 minutes in Derby shirt before he is in division 2.

If strachan or any other punter watching that against Burton fecking albion and delivered sweet FA thinks he warrants a squad inclusion before mccormack needs a straight jacket

But but but.....Martin feeds the system well. McCormack would require chances to be created for him, rather than just bungle around clattering into people. We simply can't afford the luxury of such an exclusive brand of striker, not even if we have a batch of attacking midfielders playing for better sides than our Celtic rivals. 

Don't be so fucking silly, man!

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Didn't have a great game but he had a very good game in Astana playing the same role.

Martin is genuinely infuriating, he's the only one in that squad I just can't bring myself to like. I know people stick up for him because he does have a good record and does get a hard time but f**k sake I just can't shake the feeling that he's just a big useless lump.

Is it because you doubt Unky Gordy's judgement, or because you believe we are entitled to better than shite like him in the team??

Choose carefully, Eaton. 

But but but.....Martin feeds the system well. McCormack would require chances to be created for him, rather than just bungle around clattering into people. We simply can't afford the luxury of such an exclusive brand of striker, not even if we have a batch of attacking midfielders playing for better sides than our Celtic rivals. 

Don't be so fucking silly, man!

To be fair Martin has 7 goals in 41 games (apparently he has same scoring record as Rhodes who scored 5 in 5 pre season ) but it's more important that forwards don't score goals or make assists....its the thing to 'bring midfielders into the game' ie something that isn't quantifiable. God knows if we look at quantifiable stuff we might realise we had a dreadful manager. We must never ever doubt our manager it always the players that are awful.....its their fault ni Iceland n roi achieve more.....certainly not the manager and his impossible to read © 'system '.

Your point was ruined when you tried to claim goals In pre-season games had any form or relevance

And when he dismissed unquantifiable stuff. There's lots of stuff that can't be brought into statistics.

I'm not defending any player or manager here but picking teams by statistics is the champ manager approach (and by that logic I got Albion rovers into the champions league a few years back).

I thought I would give martin a chance last night as others have pointed out I have not seen this superstar goalscoring machine for Derby.

For the life of me I am totally dumbfounded how this imposter is even our squad. Derby played him up top on his own 4-5-1 formation very similar to what we use. Now he was easily the worst player on the pitch last nighr,  and this was against Burton Albion what does strachan think he will bring against international class defenders. This fella should never be allowed to pull our strip on he is embarrassing bad.

I worry that Martin has enjoyed a good couple of seasons in an otherwise unremarkable career and is now settling back into mediocrity and that Strachan feels he will lose face by accepting this. It feels a little like the Darren Barr situation in the Burley era - people were optimistic and happy enough about Barr's original inclusion as he was youngish and worth a look, but even when he reverted to shite at his club and failed to make an impact for the national team, Burley kept on picking him. One of the first and few good things Levein did when he came in was to jettison Barr.

14 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Another 90 mins on the bench to Rhodes today. No point in him hanging around if he's not even going to get a sniff of action as a sub.

If the manager has promised to give him a chance then he should wait it out until his chance comes. If he is been told it's no happening then get out quick. This will be the 1st time in his club career where he ain't no1 choice to start up front, be interesting to see how he deals with it. 

I was hoping karanka would improve his all round game to our benifit.

Reading the managers take on Sheffield Wednesday game yesterday. He said they have created enough clear cut chances to win 3 or 4 games yesterday(unlucky you got the scoring machine fletcher).

On a positI've note Derby have splashed out 8m on a new striker, hopefully that means Chris Martin gets benched for them and is never seen again.

Archived