Striking Options

kenny131

Rhodes is being sold because he's too immobile and slow to play at that level as a lone striker. It's exactly why he doesn't get chosen for Scotland.

Baffles me people refuse to see the basic fact of that.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rhodes is being sold because he's too immobile and slow to play at that level as a lone striker. It's exactly why he doesn't get chosen for Scotland.

Baffles me people refuse to see the basic fact of that.

Not really a fact though is it?
His playing style and effectiveness at EPL level is all subjective until he actually gets a run out vs EPL opposition and demonstrates shiteness, mediocrity or decentness.

Not really a fact though is it?
His playing style and effectiveness at EPL level is all subjective until he actually gets a run out vs EPL opposition and demonstrates shiteness, mediocrity or decentness.

It is though. Which is why Karanka spent most of his budget on another striker and uses Nugent ahead of Rhodes.

I'd argue that Fletcher and Martin are no quicker or more mobile than Rhodes, but that doesn't prevent their selection.

They're not being picked for their speed or mobility. Both are bigger, more powerful forwards and generally are better at holding it up.

I'd argue that Fletcher and Martin are no quicker or more mobile than Rhodes, but that doesn't prevent their selection.

Hes poorer on the ball than Fletcher who's been at a higher level, and less physical than Martin, who has a similar goal record at the same level as him over the past two years

They're not being picked for their speed or mobility. Both are bigger, more powerful forwards and generally are better at holding it up.

Agreed. And that is why I was challenging random guy's 'fact' that it was Rhodes' speed and mobility that was the issue.

ETA: tho Martin us actually smaller and lighter than Rhodes, surprisingly

6 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Don't think anyone's saying he should start ahead of Negredo, just that he should at least get a chance at some point from the bench or when Negredo is rested or whatever. It's the fact he's been bombed out completely that is so disappointing - means we will be left waiting and wondering if he can cut it at this level (been asking that question for nearly 5 years now tbf, so perhaps the answer is simply 'no')

What if he doesn't want to sit on the bench and wait for his chance? 

And how would this chance come about? As you say, Negredo will obviously start in front of him, so at what time should he get his chance? 

The less said about that "disgraceful treatment by Boro" post, the better.

What if he doesn't want to sit on the bench and wait for his chance? 

And how would this chance come about? As you say, Negredo will obviously start in front of him, so at what time should he get his chance? 

The less said about that "disgraceful treatment by Boro" post, the better.

Chances would come as a sub (you would hope) in the league, starts in the league cup and if/when Negredo is injured or needs rested. As someone said before, moving to the Championship just to play regularly is probably a step backwards - it certainly won't get him a Scotland shirt.

Agree re the disgraceful treatment thing. It's a shame for Rhodes but Boro are a business and they're well within their rights to shuffle players in and out as they please.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

moving to the Championship just to play regularly is probably a step backwards - it certainly won't get him a Scotland shirt.

it could and most probably would under a less negative manager, however we are stuck with the idea that fletcher is the best we have for a system that we play that doesnt work and will continue to not work as our focal players start to age more and regress skill wise

lets be honest here we are arguing for the sake of arguing now as we all know the strikers will be 4 from Carthorse Fletcher, Grffiths, McCormack, Naismith and Carthorse number 2 Martin. My Guess is McCormack will be left our in favour of carthorse number 2. Strachan will justify omitting McCormack for Martin for some obscure reason like he needs a mental holiday due to pricetag or something like that.

Its a pointless argument anyway because Clown Strachan is the Manager, he selects his faves end of so another Campaign of Fletcher up top on his own looking like a sloth whod get outpaced by a tortoise using a zimmerframe.

1 hour ago, troopio said:

lets be honest here we are arguing for the sake of arguing now as we all know the strikers will be 4 from Carthorse Fletcher, Grffiths, McCormack, Naismith and Carthorse number 2 Martin. My Guess is McCormack will be left our in favour of carthorse number 2. Strachan will justify omitting McCormack for Martin for some obscure reason like he needs a mental holiday due to pricetag or something like that.

Its a pointless argument anyway because Clown Strachan is the Manager, he selects his faves end of so another Campaign of Fletcher up top on his own looking like a sloth whod get outpaced by a tortoise using a zimmerframe.

This is the kind of thing that is irking me with Strachan in recent times. He tends to overthink simple decisions (or at least portray that he is deeply thinking). You pick your best players and put them in the best formation.

Archived