Most over rated actor.

Eckieboy

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't talk shit, mate. Steve McFadden is a tremendous performer and brings so much to the role. If you think he's just a "drunken thug" then you haven't been watching the show enough to offer a considered opinion.

I also disagree with your comments that "soap stars are rarely great actors" - EastEnders and Coronation Street, to name but two, are two of the most-watched TV shows in the country and being a good performer is a prerequisite. Yes, there are some horrendous soap actors (the entire cast of Hollyoaks) but soap stars are generally very fine at their craft.

Come back to me when he's played anything other than a variation on Phil Mitchell in anything, ever. I'm not asking for him to play Lear, but something other than a drunk hard man or repentant hard man at least.

Re: soap actors having to be good performers - I give you William Roache. He's been on Coronation Street for at least 175 years, is hailed as a "legend", and yet has all the range and acting ability of ... well, the dreadful block of wood who plays Traceylove. There's a reason so many lauded soap actors stay in their show for years (even decades) at time and fail miserably when they try to do something more demanding. It only seems to be in the UK that we heap praise on these actors though. In the USA, people pretty much accept soaps as being second-rate stables for limited performers (although at least they tend to ensure that those performers are lookers!).

Don't talk shit, mate. Steve McFadden is a tremendous performer and brings so much to the role. If you think he's just a "drunken thug" then you haven't been watching the show enough to offer a considered opinion.

I also disagree with your comments that "soap stars are rarely great actors" - EastEnders and Coronation Street, to name but two, are two of the most-watched TV shows in the country and being a good performer is a prerequisite. Yes, there are some horrendous soap actors (the entire cast of Hollyoaks) but soap stars are generally very fine at their craft.

Whilst I agree that for the most part, Hollyoaks actors are a pile of shit, the fella that played Brendan in it a few years ago was brilliant. One of the best performances I have ever witnessed in a soap.

Where does 'Sharon' in Eastenders fall?

She's perfectly fine. Her character is obnoxious but I can buy into her performances. I don't think I've watched any of her scenes and come away from them thinking her performance was inadequate.

Come back to me when he's played anything other than a variation on Phil Mitchell in anything, ever. I'm not asking for him to play Lear, but something other than a drunk hard man or repentant hard man at least.

Re: soap actors having to be good performers - I give you William Roache. He's been on Coronation Street for at least 175 years, is hailed as a "legend", and yet has all the range and acting ability of ... well, the dreadful block of wood who plays Traceylove. There's a reason so many lauded soap actors stay in their show for years (even decades) at time and fail miserably when they try to do something more demanding. It only seems to be in the UK that we heap praise on these actors though. In the USA, people pretty much accept soaps as being second-rate stables for limited performers (although at least they tend to ensure that those performers are lookers!).

i'm not sure what point you're trying to make here - over the last 20-odd years, Phil Mitchell's character has experienced numerous travails, tribulations and troubles, and everything has been expertly handled by Steve McFadden. What does it matter if he hasn't featured in anything else?

William Roache, like Letitia "Sharon Wicks" Dean, is perfectly fine and handles all the demands of his character well.

I'm not sure what the comparisons between UK and US television have to do with anything.

Whilst I agree that for the most part, Hollyoaks actors are a pile of shit, the fella that played Brendan in it a few years ago was brilliant. One of the best performances I have ever witnessed in a soap.

A genuine diamond in the rough. Brendan was outrageous, flamboyant and absolutely over the top, and he stood out a country mile in the gorgeous dung heap.

Brad Pitt and Keanu Reeves are dreadful but I'm not sure anyone rates them to begin with.

Nonsense.  In the right role, he's tremendous - Se7en, Jesse James, etc.

On the other hand Reeves is wooden as hell.  

Others I think are dreadful:

Danny Dyer

Kate O'Mara (but she's quite attractive so it's all okay in the end)

Robert De Niro most of the time

Al Pacino when he over-acts

David Caruso - but going from his social media, he kind of knows it and doesn't take himself too seriously, so he's okay by me.

I find Johnny Depp over rated.  He was excellent in the first Pirates film.  But since then he seems just to ham up all his roles.  He was good in Donnie Brasco and Gilbert Grape but apart from that I can't think of role he was good in.

Also check out Donnie Brasco, tremendous film and he's excellent in it!!!

Also thought he was very good in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas!!!

Dead Man and Cry Baby are a couple of early classics as well!!!

I have never seen Ed Wood so I will get it in the next few days.

I think it's Johnny Depp's best acting performance - and Tim Burton's masterpiece. I recently put together a rough list of my top 100 films of all time and Ed Wood was comfortably in there.

He was good in Donnie Brasco and Gilbert Grape but apart from that I can't think of role he was good in.

Also check out Donnie Brasco, tremendous film and he's excellent in it!!!

Also thought he was very good in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas!!!

Dead Man and Cry Baby are a couple of early classics as well!!!

I've already seen that one  :lol:

I forgot about Fear and Loathing.  I have seen Dead Man but wasn't overly enamoured with it, but will look out for Cry Baby.

Archived