Best 'Scenes' At The Football

BinoBalls

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who coined the term 'scenes' anyway? Is it a P&B thing? It should be in the dictionary.

I'm a scenes voyeur - whenever I watch a goals roundup on Sky I'm basically watching for any evidence of scenes.

Someone mentioned St Mirren fans earlier - both them and Partick Thistle have had a few good scenes at Forthbank, must be something in the west of Scotland water. I remember St Mirren winning 0-1 at ours to stay up and relegate us 15 years back, proper scenes that day.

Who coined the term 'scenes' anyway? Is it a P&B thing? It should be in the dictionary.

I'm a scenes voyeur - whenever I watch a goals roundup on Sky I'm basically watching for any evidence of scenes.

Someone mentioned St Mirren fans earlier - both them and Partick Thistle have had a few good scenes at Forthbank, must be something in the west of Scotland water. I remember St Mirren winning 0-1 at ours to stay up and relegate us 15 years back, proper scenes that day.

1998 when Shuggy Murray scored a screamer. Accepted by the fans to have kept the club in business rather than just in division one, which may have explained the scenes!

Best scenes I can remember being involved in was in 2000 at Ayr. If we won and Dunfermline didn't we won the first division. Paul McKnight pinged one into the top corner in the last few seconds (the Ayr keeper lying on the deck after a totally fair challenge from one of our players) to send a few thousand Saints fans running about the terracing and a few hundred onto the pitch. This was partly because we thought Dunfermline were drawing - sadly not - although we still got promoted that day.

Someone mentioned it earlier but one of the best/least obvious TV ones I can remember was when Ryan McCann scored from 80-odd yards from Queen of the South in the Scottish Cup quarter-finals. The reaction of the fans when the ball bounces and continues to head towards goal is fantastic.

1998 when Shuggy Murray scored a screamer. Accepted by the fans to have kept the club in business rather than just in division one, which may have explained the scenes!

Best scenes I can remember being involved in was in 2000 at Ayr. If we won and Dunfermline didn't we won the first division. Paul McKnight pinged one into the top corner in the last few seconds (the Ayr keeper lying on the deck after a totally fair challenge from one of our players) to send a few thousand Saints fans running about the terracing and a few hundred onto the pitch. This was partly because we thought Dunfermline were drawing - sadly not - although we still got promoted that day.

Someone mentioned it earlier but one of the best/least obvious TV ones I can remember was when Ryan McCann scored from 80-odd yards from Queen of the South in the Scottish Cup quarter-finals. The reaction of the fans when the ball bounces and continues to head towards goal is fantastic.

This.

Scenes

Peterhead was nuts. I dread to think where we'd be if that Billy Gibson free kick hadn't bounced off somebody's arse into the net. There was such a bad feeling around the club back then, another season in that division could genuinely have ended us as anything resembling a "big" club.

That was horrible. We missed an absolute sitter from about two yards in extra time as well.

The Ryan McCann 80 yarder was incredible scenes, I got a black eye from my dad smashing me in the face whilst going absolutely fucking berserk in the old stand and I didn't care. The Dundee fans were having a meltdown over the non foul before the goal on the other side kicking down the advertising hoardings, Davie Rae appeared a gave the fans a hug.

Raith Rovers 3-4 Queens, 2014 - Some Friday night game on BBC Alba last year that i was fairly reluctant to go to, We played incredible in the first half before we then bottled a two goal lead, Kevin Holt then got sent off, we then scored straight afterwards before Raith equalised again before we scored in the 95th minute with Iain Russell causing raptures in the away end. Quite possibly the only exciting Championship game BBC Alba has ever put on.

Rangers 2-2 Queens (3-4 Pens) 2012 - Rangers had started their time in the Seaside leagues well and hadn't been beaten yet. Ian Black got a Scotland call up and the general feeling was that they would win their maiden Challenge Cup at a canter. But after going behind, Rangers got a penalty and Queens had Willie Gibson got sent off for a second yellow and Kevin Kyle assaulted someone. But out of nowhere Nicky Clark teed up the clearly offside Gavin Reilly to send the game to extra time, to the disdain of the hoardes of orcs in attendance who didn't have a train to catch. In the shootout, Lee Robinson once again remembered how to be a goalkeeper and saved Dean Shiels, Derek Young did the Sssh gesture to the home support after scoring before some Greek lad missed before Ryan McGuffie sent us on our way to another challenge cup win and the diddy double.

Warning: video may contain Teuchters and Lee McCulloch

Annan 3-4 Queens (2015) - A new season of optimism despite losing a lot of players looked good when Ryan Conroy scored what could only be described as a Thunderb*****d from a corner against 'the only club within 50 miles of Dumfries so they are our rivals by default'. Second half Annan took the lead through some set piece goals, before we equalised through Derek Lyle, but after a defensive mix up, Peter Weatherson scored a sublime lob and the unthinkable upset looked on. But in the death of the game, Dale Hilson cut inside and blasted the ball into the top corner causing an absolute riddy of scenes. Annan got two players sent off and we went through. But in a season of drudgery a small ray of excitement caused by our own pishness.

Scenes from away fans

Falkirk taking the lead in the last minute of extra to go through in the playoffs. Which was probably our best chance of going up. Absolutely detest Tony Christie.

Patrick Thistle in the challenge cup final. It blew up in their faces but it looked fun in the craziest extra time period to an otherwise dreadful game.

Scenes from TV

Aaron Lennon making it 4-4 in a North London derby

Fabio Grosso and Del Pieros goals against Germany in the 2006 WC semi (and Grossos penalty in the final)

For Clyde it will be hard to top the 2-1 win over Celtic. We already had two goals disallowed by the time we took the lead and the second goal was a peach. We had just missed a penalty but scored the second from the corner. Absolutely mental in a packed Broadwood stand, for a change.

One of my personal favourites as am away game at Stenhousemuir in the 99/00 championship winning season. We were losing 3-0 at half time and playing awful. In the second half we turned it around to win 4-3. My dad, who isn't a Clyde fan, used to take me to some of the close by away games if he wasn't working. He was going mental with the rest of us when the 4th goal went in.

Raith Rovers 3-4 Queens, 2014 - Some Friday night game on BBC Alba last year that i was fairly reluctant to go to, We played incredible in the first half before we then bottled a two goal lead, Kevin Holt then got sent off, we then scored straight afterwards before Raith equalised again before we scored in the 95th minute with Iain Russell causing raptures in the away end. Quite possibly the only exciting Championship game BBC Alba has ever put on.

That was scenes. My flatmate, a Queens fan, was working when the game was on so watched the recording back without looking at the score beforehand. I already knew of the impending scenes so discreetly videod the his reaction to the last couple of minutes. He must've leaped about 10 feet in the air. Still have that video kicking about actually...

Best scenes I've been involved in:

- Caldwell last minute at tynie, special mentiom to sparkys free kick aswell.

- The 3rd and especially 4th goals in the Falkirk semi in 2013.

- Wotherspoons goal v Hearts in the first Derby after the final was pretty good.

Scenes by the opposition:

- Hamilton in the play off.

- Dundee utd goal in the last min in a 3-3 draw, sure it was webster that scored.

- Ryan McGivern og v Hearts in the new year game 2014. Easily the best I've seen opposition wise, the noise was unreal, bodies everywhere.

Best on tv:

- Aguero v QPR.

- Liverpool in Istanbul.

- McFadden v France.

- Germany 7 Brazil 1 was pretty surreal aswell.

Caldwell at Hampden against France is the best I've ever been involved in, was absolute fucking chaos, ended up 4 rows behind where I was sitting as people were just getting thrown about everywhere, was brilliant.

One of my favourite #SCENES has no connection to me whatsoever and wasn't even in a competitive game, but Tony Hibbert's first ever goal for Everton during his testimonial was fucking glorious. The roar and pitch invasion after the free-kick goes in always makes me smile.

Best one for me was Maccarone scoring in the last minute after coming back to win the UEFA Cup quarter final. Absolutely wild scenes that I thought would never be repeated. My best TV scenes would be when it was almost identically repeated a few weeks later in the semi-final which I wasn't able to go to.

Best Ayr one would be Alex Williams against Killie in the cup a few years back to make it 2-2 and take it to a replay.

Best Scotland would probably be Anya in Germany, as a few have said I ended up several rows further forward due to the scenes. Actually felt quite lucky not to have died tbh. Also the McManus 97th min equaliser against Liechtenstein was wild, but because it was more out of relief than pure joy I'd put Anya's above it.

Best one for me was Maccarone scoring in the last minute after coming back to win the UEFA Cup quarter final. Absolutely wild scenes that I thought would never be repeated. My best TV scenes would be when it was almost identically repeated a few weeks later in the semi-final which I wasn't able to go to.

Best Ayr one would be Alex Williams against Killie in the cup a few years back to make it 2-2 and take it to a replay.

Best Scotland would probably be Anya in Germany, as a few have said I ended up several rows further forward due to the scenes. Actually felt quite lucky not to have died tbh. Also the McManus 97th min equaliser against Liechtenstein was wild, but because it was more out of relief than pure joy I'd put Anya's above it.

No idea how I managed to forget about Anya's goal in Germany in my list. That was absolute carnage. Pints, hats, t-shirts and people flying everywhere.

Caldwell at Hampden against France is the best I've ever been involved in, was absolute fucking chaos, ended up 4 rows behind where I was sitting as people were just getting thrown about everywhere, was brilliant.

How the f**k is that possible? :lol:

That was absolutely hilarious. Given the way they conceded two late goals to us and then lost to an absolutely honking Airdrie the next week I'm not sure it shouldn't be "Par'd it" instead of "Hibs'd it"...

Considering the team we had I'm pretty surprised we got it that close, the only reason we took it to the final week was beating Morton and getting a draw with Partick. In the end they just ran out of steam.

The best scenes I've seen against us were when Cowdenbeath scored first in the first league meeting between the sides in years, was the best support they've taken through and they fairly enjoyed it.

Oh and I remember me and my mates going absolutely nuts when Zidane scored a last minute free kick v England in Euro 2004 (right after he had a casual spew, no less) but it's possible the French weren't as bothered as we were.

Turns out I had this game all wrong - it was a free kick to equalise in the last minute and an injury time penalty sealed the deal. 

Yeah and the spew was before the penalty not the free kick.

On TV so many, some that stand out Naybet for Deportivo last minute against Man Utd, Grosso/Del Piero against Germany and Godin at the Nou Camp to win the title.

Been involved in;

Ryan McCann's 84 yard wonder strike. As the ball came over, the second it landed on the edge of the 18 yard box and bounced straight toward the goal.  I was right behind the goal in the Portland Drive end and the place erupted, it must have been a few seconds before the ball was actually in the back of the net but I didn't actually see the ball cross the line.  

Jim Thomson's equaliser at Hampden in the Scottish cup final against Rangers (R.I.P.)

Pumping The Rangers out the challenge cup at Ibrox, in their first season as a club.

Away fans;

Partick Thistle equaliser in the challenge cup final at Almondvale.  Muirhead missed the penalty in the last minute to equalise, before being sent off for nutting Higgins. Thistle then scored in injury time, pitch invasion from the thistle fans.

Scenes on TV

Liverpool in Istanbul.

Aguero to win the league.

Germany Brazil is a strange one, I fully expected Germany to absolutely pump them (even betting -1, -2 and -3 goals), but it was more the manner at which they did it.  It could of and should have been double figures.  I believe it was Hummels who said after the game, that they agreed at half time that they wouldn't embarrass Brazil in the second half.

Archived