Players who you want to stay and those who you want to leave

Boyle is, don't think Docherty is though.

We are also far worse without Boyle in our team, solid defensively and good going forward at times.

Gilmour rarely gives the ball away and along with Docherty is our best passer, he also works incredibly hard defensively so no idea what you're watching tbh!

Devlin has been poor in several games since returning but don't see why we would get rid of him if he wanted to stay, he's young and been one of our best players for a season and a half.

Edited to add that Boyle is on a different planet from Donald as a left back.

Agree with all of this.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would want to keep

Fleming

Devlin

Graham

Murphy

Boyle

Gilly

Adams

Docherty

Moore if possible

Forrest

Stevo as I think a good preseason would do him the world of good.

Trouten is already under contract but quite simply would need to offer more.

A lot of it will depend on what league we are in. I doubt we will keep Murphy as there was talk of him leaving last summer but he's been excellent this season. Would be nice to keep him for one more even as a back up but unsure that's possible due to his travelling commitments. If so and we're still in this division I would keep McLauchlan.

Would ask Murphy to stay on in a player-coach capacity. He is very capable at this level and very rarely does he break a sweat or dive into careless challenges (unlike Gerry who lunges into everyone in front of him). However it looks more likely that Murphy will either retire or move down a division. Think he was linked with Annan as they aren't far from Carlisle.

Murphy probably has the best distribution of centre backs in this league, however his legs are gone. If you could have someone like McCrorie in next to him for a full season I think you'd have a good partnership.

Boyle is, don't think Docherty is though.

We are also far worse without Boyle in our team, solid defensively and good going forward at times.

Gilmour rarely gives the ball away and along with Docherty is our best passer, he also works incredibly hard defensively so no idea what you're watching tbh!

Devlin has been poor in several games since returning but don't see why we would get rid of him if he wanted to stay, he's young and been one of our best players for a season and a half.

Edited to add that Boyle is on a different planet from Donald as a left back.

Will give u the devlin 1 but not the other 2. don't rate gilmour atall, always think he's a waste of a jersey when he plays as he only hits 1 out of 4 passes and never tackles. As for your statement that Boyle is on a different planet from Donald as a left back, yes he's probably a tad better, but he should be as its boyles natural position. Donald does ok everytime ive seen him there over the past few seasons. Boyle certainly isn't on a different planet from Donald in a left back capacity. Donald probably gets forward more than Boyle as Boyle always looks to play inside rather than attack the wing IMO.

Think people expected Boyle to be the same as Devlin. Bombing up the wing and putting crosses in. Boyle is completely different and would rather play a safe pass and is at his best when there is a player in front of him who is able to cover him. IMO Boyle is a better defender than Devlin but Devlin is better going forward.

Murphy probably has the best distribution of centre backs in this league, however his legs are gone. If you could have someone like McCrorie in next to him for a full season I think you'd have a good partnership.

Think that pairing would get bullied tbh. MCcrorie didn't look great at centre half against Dunfermline.

2. don't rate gilmour atall, always think he's a waste of a jersey when he plays as he only hits 1 out of 4 passes and never tackles.

Thank f**k someone else shares my opinion of Gilmour. I'd heard all these stories about how wonderful he'd been this season but every single time I've seen him he's been atrocious. He gives the ball away all the time (including at least once a game that fucking irritating hook it over your shoulder malarkey) and I've yet to see him make a tackle.

Disappointing so many people want rid of Crawford. I still think there's a player in there who gives us a bit of energy in the middle of the park. He can go past players and his passing's decent. Maybe needs to improve on decision making but that'll come with experience.

Thank f**k someone else shares my opinion of Gilmour. I'd heard all these stories about how wonderful he'd been this season but every single time I've seen him he's been atrocious. He gives the ball away all the time (including at least once a game that fucking irritating hook it over your shoulder malarkey) and I've yet to see him make a tackle.

Disappointing so many people want rid of Crawford. I still think there's a player in there who gives us a bit of energy in the middle of the park. He can go past players and his passing's decent. Maybe needs to improve on decision making but that'll come with experience.

Gilmour gives the ball away constantly yet Crawford is a good passer 🙈 Genuinely, what the f**k.

I'm assuming you're not counting us as a part of this league anymore?  :lol:

I'm assuming you're not counting us as a part of this league anymore? :lol:

Murphy quite clearly has the best distribution of centre halfs in this league, having previously been a midfielder.

Not remotely anywhere near being the best defender but that's a completely different matter.

From what I've seen of BRE.

Positives

Physicality, one on one in the air or shoulder charge there's only one winner.

Marking, he seems decent enough.

Negatives

Heading, he wins everything but often fails to find the right man or the right area.

Clever opponents, if someone backs into him he usually gets sucked into the battle and needs to stand off.

I think he can learn and needs an experienced head beside him. I would stick with him in the championship with ideally Fordyce back to his best alongside him.

Other players, coming and going.

Murdoch plus another, possibly Hutton would do it.

Left back, I don't really rate Talbot and think we need to get a better full back in. Martin as back up to whoever.

Centre backs, Fordyce, six month contract with options plus BRE plus two experienced guys or maybe Mackay and another.

Right back. Williamson, he will be exposed badly defensively next season. He will be great to use in certain games though. Reid as number one or someone else with good experience. Rooney isn't up to league one but reckon there's a player in there somewhere. Good luck to him,

Defensive mid

Geggan, number one choice and captain. Would sign a clugger type like Adams as back up. If we can get a footballing clugger then even better.

Spence, not up to champ level. Falkingham would be cover also.

Centre mid

Falkingham, Byrne and two new signings. Robinson isn't up to it and McCabe lacks something. Byrne is great if given space. He could be superb, last chance for him though.

Wide players

Cardle, maybe Paton. I like the look of Duthie but IMO Hopkirk isn't good enough. We need two new wide players of cardle quality.

Strikers

Moffat, our best player most weeks. He's flawless apart from getting the jitters occasionally. Fais, not much chance but would love it if he stayed.

Wallace, not for me. We need a replacement if Fais goes plus two others. Nicky Clark and a physical player.

To sum up.

Keep

Murdoch

Hutton

BRE

Mackay?

Fordyce, limited contract.

Martin

Williamson

Reid

Geggan

Falkingham

Bryne?

Paton?

Cardle

Duthie?

Moffat

Fais, please!

Let go

Talbot

Mackay?

Paton?

Byrne?

Wallace

Hopkirk

Robinson

Spence

McCabe

Rooney

Bring in

New first choice left back

Experienced centre back/s

Tough defensive mid.

Two midfielders

Two wingers

Two strikers

I fear that without promotion players like Docherty and Devlin might be off. These players attracted attention at the start of the season for championship teams. Plus Moore might be given a chance at Motherwell.

I think I am right in saying Moore is out of contract at the end of the season.  Might be wrong but I don't see us offering him another contract when he's been away all season and not in our plans.

Would be 4th choice striker at best and we have a good young batch of players coming through, I think we will choose to develop them over Moore who's coming up on 22 now.

Glad he's done well at Ayr this season but I think he will be moved on, he needs to move on and get regular football. 

Archived