Inverness Caley Summer transfer thread.

Hughes should go. I feel he's blaming the club for his own failings. We've always operated on a small budget but I can't remember a manager come out and criticise like the way he is. A poor workman blames his tools and all that. Cock.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes is sounding like Steve Lomas here. If hes in anyway similar then he'll jump the first chance he gets.

So....why isn't Hughes having his scouts scouring the lower leagues and reserves of the Championship for those wee gems that could seize their chance at Inverness and move the club back up into the top six and also save the club a bit of money?.  Is this not how the club's signing policy works over the last few years?. There is little if no excitement over any of the players mentioned over the last couple of days they will be average at best no improvement on what we have and more expensive wage wise.....and Tremarco is a more effective LB than Considine.

No axe to grind here, either way, but my reading of Hughes's interview is that:

He sees himself as a master of psychology;

He could well be away in the summer.

I think he does think he is great at psychology etc.  I think he's got a complex and thinks he doesn't get the credit he deserves because of preconceptions about him personally, how he speaks, act etc - I can kind of see where he's coming from with it.  Looked at one way he has one of the best managerial records of any manager working in Scotland.  He got Falkirk promoted, established them in the top flight for the longest period in decades and took them into a cup final and Europe.  He then took over at Hibs, lead them to fourth place and European football - the highest finish of the club for a few years prior and since.  He had a few short term appointments and then takes over us, gets us to one cup final and in his only full season as manager wins the Scottish cup and leads us to European football and our highest ever finish, all with one of the lowest budgets in the division.

Of course, there's a flip side to all of this - he won the First Divsiion against relatively poor competition, his HIbs team fell apart from around Christmas in his first season and for all the success he's had with us he did it with players who he didn't buy and was given a gold plated welcome.  He took over Caley when we were second in the league, had an established back four and keeper, experienced midfielders and a 20 goal a season striker.  We also had one of the best young talents in Scotland coming through already.  The only players Hughes signed who had any influence on the cup inning season were Greg Tansey (who was most likely coming back anyway) and Eddie Ofere, who you have to assume was an agent job.

It would've taken a proper clownshoes job to f**k up Caley from the position that Hughes took over and, to his credit, he didn't try and mess with a good thing.  The more influence he's had on who gets brought in, the more erratic things have become.  We don't seem to have a strategy in signing players, we went into a European campaign with Dani Lopez as our main striker, we've drifted more and more into the dull negative keep-ball that Hughes thinks is good football.  We are almost entirely lacking in pace and the players who are quick aren't used correctly.

If we had addressed the issues and played to our strengths we would be in the top six this year and would have made a much better attempt at the cup competitions.  Clearly I don't expect to win the cup every season but we were up against a Hibs team in very poor form and blew it.  

Hughes is sounding like Steve Lomas here. If hes in anyway similar then he'll jump the first chance he gets.

He obviously wanted the United job and it's well recognised he threw a giant hissy when the board tried to keep him.  If any other club comes in for him in the summer (I'd assume English clubs) then he'll be offski.

I think he does think he is great at psychology etc.  I think he's got a complex and thinks he doesn't get the credit he deserves because of preconceptions about him personally, how he speaks, act etc - I can kind of see where he's coming from with it.  Looked at one way he has one of the best managerial records of any manager working in Scotland.  He got Falkirk promoted, established them in the top flight for the longest period in decades and took them into a cup final and Europe.  He then took over at Hibs, lead them to fourth place and European football - the highest finish of the club for a few years prior and since.  He had a few short term appointments and then takes over us, gets us to one cup final and in his only full season as manager wins the Scottish cup and leads us to European football and our highest ever finish, all with one of the lowest budgets in the division.

Of course, there's a flip side to all of this - he won the First Divsiion against relatively poor competition, his HIbs team fell apart from around Christmas in his first season and for all the success he's had with us he did it with players who he didn't buy and was given a gold plated welcome.  He took over Caley when we were second in the league, had an established back four and keeper, experienced midfielders and a 20 goal a season striker.  We also had one of the best young talents in Scotland coming through already.  The only players Hughes signed who had any influence on the cup inning season were Greg Tansey (who was most likely coming back anyway) and Eddie Ofere, who you have to assume was an agent job.

It would've taken a proper clownshoes job to f**k up Caley from the position that Hughes took over and, to his credit, he didn't try and mess with a good thing.  The more influence he's had on who gets brought in, the more erratic things have become.  We don't seem to have a strategy in signing players, we went into a European campaign with Dani Lopez as our main striker, we've drifted more and more into the dull negative keep-ball that Hughes thinks is good football.  We are almost entirely lacking in pace and the players who are quick aren't used correctly.

If we had addressed the issues and played to our strengths we would be in the top six this year and would have made a much better attempt at the cup competitions.  Clearly I don't expect to win the cup every season but we were up against a Hibs team in very poor form and blew it.  

He obviously wanted the United job and it's well recognised he threw a giant hissy when the board tried to keep him.  If any other club comes in for him in the summer (I'd assume English clubs) then he'll be offski.

Totally - I also agree that the way he communicates, etc, has a negative effect on how he is perceived, which is unfair and a bit of a shame, because he is clearly a very good coach.

Sadly, his efforts at psychology/kidology are the weakest part of his armoury, and what makes it worse is that he genuinely seems to think that he's mastered it - it's so easily seen through.

He'd be a better coach still if he knew that - is anybody brave enough to tell him?

Hmm, recent posts and despite the very high point of a Scottish Cup win, betray the fact that the ego of some can't thole the fact that Hughes has been a success at a club whose modest attendance figures were further dulled

by Butcher's anti football.

The fact of the matter is that debilitating injuries have served to write off this season and despite a thrilling quarter final finale our cup defence faltered on a couple of less than devine interventions.

What's the chat with Tansey? I remember hearing that he might sign a new deal after the Aberdeen move collapsed. Is he likely to be away?

Hughes was walking about offering him a new deal (Tansey was the number one priority apparently) however I would be surprised to see him with us next season. 

Off topic

I see former ICT bench warmer and Wolves loanee Sam Winnall scored twice in Barnsley's 4-1 thumping of Wigan this afternoon, bringing his tally this season to 22. Barnsley now value him at about 1m, have we ever had someone playing for us that was valued or transferred for more with another club?

Archived